Line6 price hike... what to get instead of a Stomp?

What's Hot

Comments

• BrioBrio Frets: 1829
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings guys, but I really couldn't believe what I was seeing when the new Stomp price showed...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    edited July 2021

impmann said:
    Not surprised...

This will start happening everywhere as the chip shortage bites... companies are having to spot buy rather than buy in bulk, due to shortages and this is having a *HUGE* effect on the cost of manufacturing. I imagine Line6 are having to pass that on - some are swallowing it right now, but it will cause increases soon.

Yamaha make their own chips so Line 6 shouldn’t be affected by this as much if at all. 

I couldn’t imagine choosing the GT1000 over the Helix. And I definitely couldn’t choose the Core over the Stomp with that awfully dated UI. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    I would go second hand. For me the Stomp is a nice to have, just couldn't justify £399
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Strange, as they’re talking about a price drop on gearpage (this might be USA only though)
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/helix-floor-and-lt-price-drop.2271886/#post-32886763

• impmann said:
    Not surprised...

This will start happening everywhere as the chip shortage bites... companies are having to spot buy rather than buy in bulk, due to shortages and this is having a *HUGE* effect on the cost of manufacturing. I imagine Line6 are having to pass that on - some are swallowing it right now, but it will cause increases soon.

Yamaha make their own chips so Line 6 shouldn’t be affected by this as much if at all. 

I couldn’t imagine choosing the GT1000 over the Helix. And I definitely couldn’t choose the Core over the Stomp with that awfully dated UI. 
    It's a production shortage. Doesn't matter if they make their own chips or not. They've not had enough of the ingredients for 15 months now, to be able to supply to the same level before Covid.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    Brio said:
    Anyone else noticed that the Stomp jumped in price overnight at Anderson’s from £399 to £529?
    What else is there that I should be considering? I’m sure it’s not a mistake as the Helix LT has gone up £200
    At times this happened last year with various places during lockdown 1. Shit sold out, incoming stocks went up in price because they knew demand was there. Distinctly remember prices like £469 appearing at some places. 

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665

impmann said:
    Not surprised...

It's a production shortage. Doesn't matter if they make their own chips or not. They've not had enough of the ingredients for 15 months now, to be able to supply to the same level before Covid.
    This.

Its a shortage of silicon wafer that’s causing this… nobody is exempt from that.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:

impmann said:
    Not surprised...

This.

Its a shortage of silicon wafer that’s causing this… nobody is exempt from that.
    This. But in pink.

Bye!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699

impmann said:
    Not surprised...

I guess I'm just old fashioned in that I prefer performance and sound quality over a less pretty UI which isnt actually hard to use.

Most use the desktop app or BT app anywys.

edited July 2021
    impmann said:

Aha I see. Gotcha. My thinking is that as they make their own, the costs should be far less than those who don't, like Fractal for example. So even if there's a shortage, it may not be as much of a hit when compared to those who have the added cost of having to buy and source the chip in its entirety from the manufacturer. So the Helix stuff may still raise in price but might still be lower than some of the competition? That's just my thought pattern there. 
    tekbow said:
    I guess I'm just old fashioned in that I prefer performance and sound quality over a less pretty UI which isnt actually hard to use.

Yea. Helix > Boss to my ears too. ;)
  • tekbow said:

impmann said:
    Not surprised...

I think the Boss UI is pretty good anyway. Is it flash??? Nah. But it's fast to navigate, makes total sense, and doesn't rely on gimmickry - which is often preferable to having a stack of BARACUDA 2000 AMP MODEL FOR YOUR PLEASURE SIR 2.0

Like... bro .... just give me the clean!!

Bye!

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    That's disappointing. I've been holding off buying one til I get my finances in check a bit better and now it'll probably be priced out of reach!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    impmann said:

Aha I see. Gotcha. My thinking is that as they make their own, the costs should be far less than those who don't, like Fractal for example. So even if there's a shortage, it may not be as much of a hit when compared to those who have the added cost of having to buy and source the chip in its entirety from the manufacturer. So the Helix stuff may still raise in price but might still be lower than some of the competition? That's just my thought pattern there. 
    Whilst Yamaha do make chips there will be devices inside, even simple OP Amps that will be bought in. No point in making generic stuff used everywhere else in electronic manufacturing as prior to this you could buy these cheaply and easily from a variety of sources.
    With the problems of supply there are right now even simple stuff has escalated in price- and lead times have skyrocketed. And that’s the difficult one as you can have $1000s of dollars of profit stopped by a component lead time changing from days to months - that’s when spot buying comes in and prices rise.

Trust me… it’s happening for every manufacturer in the MI. I speak from experience on the inside…
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Pod Go - same sounds and processing as the Helix, just not quite as much grunt so there are some combos of effects that are not possible.  Bar that, it's a bargain!

I don't think the Pod Go has or is going to get the oversampling improvements from the last HX firmware
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24268
    impmann said:

All companies are still fighting for the same raw materials.

Ford and GM have even suspended production of some car models because they can't get the parts.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    The Silicon wafers, the actual raw blanks where the silicons are made on, they are at 100% capacity at the moment and there are only like 3 companies who makes these in the world.  You also can't just start a new factory either, they take like a year plus to put together not to mention the hundreds of millions in capital for the machines.

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3544
    impmann said:

impmann said:
    Not surprised...

This.

This. But in pink.
    Who doesn't love a pink wafer?

Answers on a postcard.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    Get an Atomic Amplifire instead
    impmann said:
    impmann said:

Whilst Yamaha do make chips there will be devices inside, even simple OP Amps that will be bought in. No point in making generic stuff used everywhere else in electronic manufacturing as prior to this you could buy these cheaply and easily from a variety of sources.
    With the problems of supply there are right now even simple stuff has escalated in price- and lead times have skyrocketed. And that’s the difficult one as you can have $1000s of dollars of profit stopped by a component lead time changing from days to months - that’s when spot buying comes in and prices rise.

Trust me… it’s happening for every manufacturer in the MI. I speak from experience on the inside…
    Yea. If this is the reason for this, what's strange is that I've seen some threads on other forums talking about price DROPS on the Floor and LT. So that's a bit weird.