Boss EURUS

What's Hot
DaiganzenDaiganzen Frets: 93
edited July 2021 in Guitar
Boss have unveiled a new Synth guitar.
just saw on Instagram. Will update when I see a better press https://www.gak.co.uk/en/boss-eurus-gs-1-electronic-guitar/947409
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7080

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3007
    Ahh, this takes me back to the days of seeing Casio guitar synths for sale in Dixon’s. Heady times.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Why is this an improvement over the SY-300, which you can already use with any guitar and a mono cable?

Putting the synth electronics into the guitar is simply a way to guarantee obsolescence.

They've also managed to pick a headstock design which is the perfect blend of bland, ugly and cheap-looking all at the same time... it looks like something Aria used on some of their less-original budget offerings, only slightly less stylish.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    I don't like the idea of forcing this into a guitar - much better to have a system where you can use your favourite instrument. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11298
    In a couple of years, H7 will be eagerly awaiting an obsolescence-related bargain.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3664
    I don't like the idea of forcing this into a guitar - much better to have a system where you can use your favourite instrument. 

Nonsense...the Gibson Firebird X was awesome!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’m quite surprised at Boss/ Roland etc. going down this road again after nearly 40 years from the last ones. Did the original sales from those ever recoup the R&D costs ? Somehow I cant see these setting the world on fire. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12641
    edited July 2021
    A few things...

The guitar has all the hallmarks of being made in the Yako factory in China. The headstock is actually the same as the old Variax 300 - observe:

That wasn't a 24 fret unit but my spidy-senses are telling me its from there...

The bridge unit is the cheap licenced version of the LR Baggs one... again, a variant was used on the Variax guitars. I hope the piezo saddles aren't being made in the same place as the Line6 ones as we used to go through them like a dose of salts... dreadful quality. Oh and as for the case-hardened cheese that the bridge plate was made of leading to all manner of tuning issues... don't get me started....

And its £2k?

**SERIOUSLY????**

Who is this aimed at?

Don't get me wrong, Roland guitar synths are great fun and I've owned lots... but can this actually, genuinely do anything useful that a GR20 and a Squier Strat can't for under £400 s/h?

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    impmann said:

The guitar has all the hallmarks of being made in the Yako factory in China.
    Just for once I think your spidey-senses are off...

They say it's "crafted" in Japan.

impmann said:

The bridge unit is the cheap licenced version of the LR Baggs one
    The bridge is a Gotoh, and I can't see piezos in it - it doesn't need them as Roland/Boss already have perfectly good software which works with magnetic pickups.

impmann said:

And its £2k?
    But I agree about that. For that price you can get a SY-300 and a really pretty decent guitar of your choice.

On the bright side, if you buy one then in about five years HarrySeven will be happy to swap you an Epiphone Les Paul with a repaired headstock for it, so your investment will not be entirely wasted.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Wireless expression pedal is cool if the latency is acceptable. With both this and the SY-300 though you're kinda tied into shitty synths. I would want something that I can pipe midi into a VST with ideally cos I want to sound like skrillex not some vangelis and I feel like none of these synths really aim for modern synth tones. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12313
    Sadly it looks like a Stagg or something that Argos would sell.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I watched a bit of the video. It looks cheap. And why do Boss demos always seem to assume that the ultimate guitar tone is some kind of late 1980s overdriven, harmonised thing? Hey you might play blues/ metal/ reggae/ polka/ country/ ambient/ funk/ punk/ Western Swing but we know that deep down you realise that guitar tone never got better than the first few Joe Satriani albums...    

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    What is it with guitar companies and daft names dreamt up by marketing people?  EURUS might be even worse than Vintera.
  • So listen.... guys.... all your fun words and your dicsauruses and thicktionaries, fine..... you do you.

But yeah, this looks wank.

Bye!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I wonder if it's one of those things like the Waza amp where they do a halo guitar for £2k and then follow it up with a Chinese version for £500.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    Offset said:
    In a couple of years, H7 will be eagerly awaiting an obsolescence-related bargain.
    I’m already there... :D

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8017
    edited July 2021

ICBM said:

On the bright side, if you buy one then in about five years HarrySeven will be happy to swap you an Epiphone Les Paul with a repaired headstock for it, so your investment will not be entirely wasted.
    Oh, yes...stocking up in preparation... 

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/