Boss EURUS

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    In all seriousness though...as someone who revels in the joy of redundant technology, has no-one at Boss/Roland learned anything from these kind of failed ventures? It’s a dead-end from start to finish. :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    edited July 2021
    crunchman said:
    What is it with guitar companies and daft names dreamt up by marketing people?  EURUS might be even worse than Vintera.
    As a contemporary naff car name, it kind of works, eg. Citroen Eurus

As an immediately-obsolete no-one-wants-or-needs-it synth guitar, nah. Hmmmm...but then again, maybe it does, in an instantly-forgettable kind-of way? :D

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    ICBM said:
    But I agree about that. For that price you can get a SY-300 and a really pretty decent guitar of your choice.

Which is exactly what I did, or rather I have an SY-300 and as many decent guitars as I choose with the option to change guitars or replace the SY-300 in the event of failure or if something better comes along.

From what little you can hear on the Boss video there's nothing new sound wise, that's just an SY-300 (or maybe even an SY-100) and with only 6 pre-sets accessible from the guitar.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Musicwolf said:
    ICBM said:
    But I agree about that. For that price you can get a SY-300 and a really pretty decent guitar of your choice.

Which is exactly what I did, or rather I have an SY-300 and as many decent guitars as I choose with the option to change guitars or replace the SY-300 in the event of failure or if something better comes along.

From what little you can hear on the Boss video there's nothing new sound wise, that's just an SY-300 (or maybe even an SY-100) and with only 6 pre-sets accessible from the guitar.

Doesn't the sy-300 still need a gk pickup to be fully utilised? That is the case with the sy-1000 (and it almost costs a grand!!!)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    meltedbuzzbox said:

Doesn't the sy-300 still need a gk pickup to be fully utilised? That is the case with the sy-1000 (and it almost costs a grand!!!)
    No, it's mono input only.

I haven't actually ruled out buying one despite detesting the type of switches they've used...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    As ICBM days, neither the SY-100 nor the 300 require any special kind of pickup.  I run my SY-300 in an effects loop from my Helix as you would any kind of pedal.

In addition to a few other bits n bobs the SY-300 has the ability to store and recall patches (I think about 100 of them?).
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    I actually think it looks quite nice, as a guitar.  Except the blandola headstock shape and logo make me think of an Optek Fretlight.

Fretlight Guitar Makes it Easy to Learn Guitar at Summer NAMM 2013 -  Creative Edge Music
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Musicwolf said:

In addition to a few other bits n bobs the SY-300 has the ability to store and recall patches (I think about 100 of them?).
    That's the only reason I haven't bought an SY-1. I loved it, but the inability to store sounds is an absolute dealbreaker on such a powerful and flexible pedal. You simply can't remember several different favourite settings easily enough to quickly swap between them manually, even if it was practical to do that at a gig.

I've said this before, but if they made an 'SY-20' with two switches and at least four or up to ten memories I would own one already.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    ICBM said:
    meltedbuzzbox said:

No, it's mono input only.

I haven't actually ruled out buying one despite detesting the type of switches they've used...
    Of course you won't buy it. You're a tight sod :p 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    meltedbuzzbox said:

Of course you won't buy it. You're a tight sod :p 
    I really would! I just swore I would never buy another pedal with round metal click switches. I really hate them...

I'm not completely sure the Boss ones click though - even if not, I'm reluctant to reward them for the choice of that switch style. If it did exactly the same things it does but had the switches like the ME-50 I would probably also have bought one.

Although if anything the lack of programmability of the SY-1 is even more frustrating that they chose to do that. It's just so stupid on a pedal with 121 different sounds or whatever it is...

I really can't understand this guitar at all though - it's such a hugely regressive idea now they've solved the problem of polyphonic synthesis from a mono source, so you can use any guitar with it.

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    ICBM said:
    Musicwolf said:

That's the only reason I haven't bought an SY-1. I loved it, but the inability to store sounds is an absolute dealbreaker on such a powerful and flexible pedal. You simply can't remember several different favourite settings easily enough to quickly swap between them manually, even if it was practical to do that at a gig.

I've said this before, but if they made an 'SY-20' with two switches and at least four or up to ten memories I would own one already.
    Ditto!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    ICBM said:
    Musicwolf said:

There is the SY200:

So yeah, Eurus is pretty much pointless, as well as being deeply undesirable.
    Keefy said:
    ICBM said:

There is the SY200
    I’ve said this before as well, but it’s even more of a shame they’ve used this horrible new casing design and switches for it…

I’d probably rather just have two SY-1s.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    These BOSS floor units all strike me as synthesizers for people who do not like subtractive synthesis. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.