Slash Epiphone Les Paul's Coming

What's Hot
Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 773
edited July 2021 in Guitar
A bit of an open secret, as Slash has posted a pic of them on his social media months ago. But some price and details filtering through: https://guitarvillage.co.uk/products/epiphone-slash-victoria-les-paul-standard-goldtop

No image, but reading the description I'm struggling to understand why they are going to be £799. I guess the Slash name is a good cash-in for them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Comparable to the Epiphone 59 for price if you then add a little price creep for being a year later. Not an unexpected price point.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9581
    The 1959 distinguishes itself by a two-piece mahogany body (as opposed to veneered multi-piece), Gibson Burstbuckers, a special finish and a case. This has a case, Epiphone pickups and the construction of the body is unclear. Most of the price hike seems to be related to the Slash name.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 773
    The 1959 distinguishes itself by a two-piece mahogany body (as opposed to veneered multi-piece), Gibson Burstbuckers, a special finish and a case. This has a case, Epiphone pickups and the construction of the body is unclear. Most of the price hike seems to be related to the Slash name.
    My thoughts too. I'm aware of the 59 les paul, but as you say that had some unique features and upgraded components. 50 quid more for this with epiphone custom buckers? I'm sure they are fine, but don't try and market epiphone components like its the Gibson custom shop.
  • We'll have to see if there's a price hike to come for other Epiphone guitars to really nail down whether it's over inflated just because it's Slash, but I am just being honest that I'm looking at the standard 50s, the 59, JJN's signature amongst others and I don't see the price as being miles out and we know prices of other brands are going up.

On whether the pickups are an upgrade and worth the price of admission or not, that depends how they sound.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    Probuckers at that price?! 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    Depending on what the "Slash Custom C shape" neck profile is like, that might make it worth the price of admission if it doesn't have the awful flat and hard shouldered typical Epiphone profile that they like to put on everything.
  • Can’t see it being a proper hard case. Most of the signature models come with the Epi-lite case which is a halfway house between a soft case and a hard case. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 6987
    edited July 2021
    The standard Epi Goldtop comes with ‘Probuckers’ and a C profile, so no change there.  Looks like this is:

1.  Take a standard Epi Goldtop off the production line.
    2.  Add CTS pots and orange drop capacitors.
    3.  Add Graphtech nut.
    4.  Add some Slash squiggles to the back of the headstock and truss rod cover.
    5.  Throw it into a hard case with some straplocks.
    6.  Charge an extra £300 for it.

PROFIT!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:
    The standard Epi Goldtop comes with ‘Probuckers’ and a C profile, so no change there.  Looks like this is:

1.  Take a standard Epi Goldtop off the production line.
    2.  Add CTS pots and orange drop capacitors.
    3.  Add Graphtech nut.
    4.  Add some Slash squiggles to the back of the headstock and truss rod cover.
    5.  Throw it into a hard case with some straplocks.
    6.  Charge an extra £300 for it.

PROFIT!!!
    I even think points 2 and 3 are in the regular epi les pauls these days! Maybe not the orange drop capacitors, but the cts pots are at least.

I'm sure they will be very popular regardless. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 6987
    Most likely.  Even if they’re non-standard, these are not expensive parts.  

A Graphtech nut is a tenner, CTS pots £7 each and orange drop capacitors £3.  And that’s for regular retail; Epi will get them in bulk much cheaper.
  • I don't remember Slash playing Epiphones.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't remember Slash playing Epiphones.
    Some would point out he hasn't always played Gibsons either...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3963
    I don't remember Slash playing Epiphones.
    Not everyone can afford, or would want to pay for a Gibson. It’s an offering at a lower price point, which is a good thing.
  • edited July 2021
    Not everyone can afford, or would want to pay for a Gibson. It’s an offering at a lower price point, which is a good thing.
    Or is it offering a more or less regular Epiphone Les Paul at an increased price point to Slash fans?

EDIT - I mean, obviously that's exactly what this is, but you know what I mean. I'm not keen on these signature models of things that the artist has never and will never use.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    Or is it offering a more or less regular Epiphone Les Paul at an increased price point to Slash fans?

EDIT - I mean, obviously that's exactly what this is, but you know what I mean. I'm not keen on these signature models of things that the artist has never and will never use.
    Yes it is!
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3963
    Yes it is. I’m not saying it’s worth the mark up but they will sell them because people want them.  There will be kids into Slash with no chance of affording the Gibson.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11547
    I'm not sure I'd fancy anything Mr Hudson had a hand in without it receiving a documented deep-clean.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes it is. I’m not saying it’s worth the mark up but they will sell them because people want them.  There will be kids into Slash with no chance of affording the Gibson.

Yes it's good they are offering something to those that don't have the Gibson budget. But just like the Gibson les paul standards vs the Slash signature, you'd be better served to buy the cheapet standard model and stick his signature seymour duncan pickups in.

That 59 model at £50 cheaper is looking like pretty good value even more-so now.
  • foskfosk Frets: 140
    guitarguitar has them in stock at the moment, not sure if anyone else does.

Can't say I think they look great - but wasn't a fan of the Gibson ones either.

Mr Anderton trying to do his best to justify the cost difference versus the standard les paul...and not doing very well for me!

Still, they do look nice. If you've got to have the look then they are a nice package.