Slash Epiphone Les Paul's Coming

What's Hot

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4131
    I like them but I wanna save for the Gibson , I’m a huge Slash fanboy  I think it would be nice if they included a small leatherette wallet with a photo/certificate in like they used to.

i recently bought a vintage burst epi standard and it looks very November burst , CTS pots , long neck tenon . The top is beautiful 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I wish Marshall would re release an SL5 or similar affordable amp 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    Still can't get over the choice of pickups for the price. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrishill901chrishill901 Frets: 516
    I like them but I wanna save for the Gibson , I’m a huge Slash fanboy  I think it would be nice if they included a small leatherette wallet with a photo/certificate in like they used to.

i recently bought a vintage burst epi standard and it looks very November burst , CTS pots , long neck tenon . The top is beautiful 
    I must say I'm high up on the fanboy scale too but I'm not sure I can justify the £800 without something like the leatherette wallet like you say - on the one hand it's cheaper than say a PRS Tremonti SE which doesn't come with a hard case either, but on the other hand it is more expensive that the Epiphone 1959 LP Standard which comes with Gibson Burstbuckers. Based on that Andertons video the pickups in these Epiphone Slash's are by far the weak link (which they identify and then try to excuse away). Just seems too expensive for what you get. At £699 instead of £799 they make sense as you can pay £50 more for the '59 standard which has better pickups but it's more expensive that a regular Epi LP. I get that guitars have gotten expensive but it seems like the 'Slash' premium on this is a little more than what Andertons are suggesting. For £800 you can find a used LP Studio and whack some SD Slash pickups in it. I really wanted to be all over these, I have an itch for a sig Slash but these won't be scratching it.

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Difficult with YouTube compression but not immediately enamoured with the pickups, but the SD Slash ones I’ve used and rate highly and not because I was chasing his tone, just very easy to get and priced well a2 vintage-y humbuckers.

It’s hard to argue against getting a 50s Epiphone, SD pickups and a decent aftermarket case being better value as things stand today, but prices can change and someone might not want the hassle of switching stuff out or might really want a specific colour only offered here.

I still stand by my earlier point though, the price isn’t out by miles, I think it’s out by just enough that a price rise to other models is probably coming and what it’s got in mind.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    I like the look of the green one, but that's because I like deep green guitars. That's not enough to have me rushing out with the credit card though.
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 454
    I've always wanted a Goldtop, not sure Slash alone is enough to bite
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2350
    edited July 2021
    Is Slash colour blind?

The available finishes on both ranges are terrible and make even the Gibsons look like those Baldwin starter 'Les Paul' packages from Argos.

Still, they'll sell in their thousands regardless of what we all think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrSwanson said:
    I've always wanted a Goldtop, not sure Slash alone is enough to bite
    https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/191216352614008--epiphone-les-paul-standard-50s-metallic-gold

Cheaper, believe they’re well regarded in this iteration. Pick your poison retailer wise.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18669
    Snags said:
    I like the look of the green one, but that's because I like deep green guitars. That's not enough to have me rushing out with the credit card though.
    IMHO  @Jazzthat ;  did a much prettier greenburst than the Slash version.  https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/203208/hondo-hlp-2n-restoration#latest
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1083
    Nobody can have done more for Gibson than Slash. I hope they pay him a few bob.
  • LPManic said:
    Nobody can have done more for Gibson than Slash. I hope they pay him a few bob.
    True, just gives me a chuckle though with their whole “play authentic” schtick. There’s a parallel universe somewhere in which Gibson cease and desisted Kris Derrig and it’s who knows what Slash eventually used for AFD.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5359
    Snags said:
    IMHO  @Jazzthat ;  did a much prettier greenburst than the Slash version.  https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/203208/hondo-hlp-2n-restoration#latest

You're not wrong, that's lovely.

However, it also appears to involve effort. And skill.

;)
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    He was my first guitar hero at around 11yrs old, although these days probably wouldn’t make my top 5 favourite players.

However, in tribute to Slash I bought this 2013 R8 back in ‘14. Haggled Thomann down to around £2600 which at the time was a big financial commitment. It remains the guitar I find easiest to play (well, up to the 15th fret anyway!). Never to be sold.

Have to say the Laurel finger boards put me off all these new Epi’s, although appreciate that’s a contentious viewpoint.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    Snags said:
    Wow ,thanks !
  • Difficult with YouTube compression but not immediately enamoured with the pickups, but the SD Slash ones I’ve used and rate highly and not because I was chasing his tone, just very easy to get and priced well a2 vintage-y humbuckers.

It’s hard to argue against getting a 50s Epiphone, SD pickups and a decent aftermarket case being better value as things stand today, but prices can change and someone might not want the hassle of switching stuff out or might really want a specific colour only offered here.

I still stand by my earlier point though, the price isn’t out by miles, I think it’s out by just enough that a price rise to other models is probably coming and what it’s got in mind.
    Slight caveat having nosied some pictures now, they might just be in less pieces than a standard 50s. Looking at the back of some of them I’d say probably 2 piece mahogany as opposed to the standards, which are multi pieces and a veneer over that to make that construction look nicer. Would really put them much closer to 59s than 50s.

I must say I'm high up on the fanboy scale too but I'm not sure I can justify the £800 without something like the leatherette wallet like you say - on the one hand it's cheaper than say a PRS Tremonti SE which doesn't come with a hard case either, but on the other hand it is more expensive that the Epiphone 1959 LP Standard which comes with Gibson Burstbuckers. Based on that Andertons video the pickups in these Epiphone Slash's are by far the weak link (which they identify and then try to excuse away). Just seems too expensive for what you get. At £699 instead of £799 they make sense as you can pay £50 more for the '59 standard which has better pickups but it's more expensive that a regular Epi LP. I get that guitars have gotten expensive but it seems like the 'Slash' premium on this is a little more than what Andertons are suggesting. For £800 you can find a used LP Studio and whack some SD Slash pickups in it. I really wanted to be all over these, I have an itch for a sig Slash but these won't be scratching it.
    Always good to meet another fan 
    The gold top and the November burst are the best looking so far ,the afd burst looks a bit like the top on the cheap starter kit Slash signature 
  • HottubesHottubes Frets: 394
    Slash is becoming like jobo with all this signature gear. 
    Hottubes said:
    Slash is becoming like jobo with all this signature gear. 
    Except Slash is way cooler