Bass VI Conversion Neck build. Bridge queries

Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
edited July 2021 in Making & Modding
Hello all, I hope you are well! I scored an aluminium Baguley 30" Bass VI conversion neck (I don't have it yet) and thinking ahead of possible parts build. I have a question about bridges that someone might be able to help with.

Easiest option would be to get a Squier Bass VI and replace the existing 30" neck, and replace the stock bridge. I'd probably lock the trem as well.

Other option would be to pop the neck on a JM body.

What about a strat hardtail body? I don't think bass vi strings would fit on a regular hardtail bridge, but I have never heard or seen a strat bass vi in the modern age (perhaps they are out there?) so don't know if a bridge exists...?

Other option, as I have seen on the Harley Benton Bass Vi is a tunomatic style bridge.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    1) What shape is the neck heel of the aluminium neck?

2) A conversion neck is designed to work with a regular body, with all of its hardware in the usual locations. (Think of a baritone Tele. All of the hardware is in the old familiar places. It is just that the frets are further apart and the headstock is further away.)

Fitting a conversion neck to a body constructed for a 30" scale will not work without radical woodworking.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    edited July 2021
    1) What shape is the neck heel of the aluminium neck?

2) A conversion neck is designed to work with a regular body, with all of its hardware in the usual locations. (Think of a baritone Tele. All of the hardware is in the old familiar places. It is just that the frets are further apart and the headstock is further away.)

Fitting a conversion neck to a body constructed for a 30" scale will not work without radical woodworking.

Heel is for strats/Jms so round heel.
    The neck on the Squier Bass VI is 30", hence me thinking I could replace with alu neck which is also 30".
    I would like a strat body, but think the bridge might end being a load of hassle, so easiest option might be a JM body if the Squier doesn't suit.

Edit. Neck manufacturer confirmed with me that I'd need a 25.5" body, so a regular JM would do. I will look into a strat though!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    I would like a strat body
    The smart approach is to use a body that is routed HSH or a "swimming pool". That way, you can change pickup configurations at the drop of a pickguard assembly. 

Creed_Clicks said:
    the bridge might end being a load of hassle ... easiest option might be a JM body
    The Stratocaster fulcrum vibrato action shifts the string heights relative to the pickup polepieces. The Jazzmaster system does not. Instead, the bridge is free to rock slightly as the vibrato is operated. Both designs can mess with accuracy of return to pitch. 

Faction Guitars makes hardtail conversion tailpiece plates for Jaguar and Jazzmaster. Some variants include a pickup cutout to sense the lengths of string between the bridge saddles and the anchor points. IMO, this would allow you to exploit the unique overtones contributed by the aluminium neck.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1387
    @Funkfingers yep i am looking at the hard tail JM bridge