Epiphone Dot mods - Faber Hardware next?

What's Hot
dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
Hello,

I have had my Ephiphone Dot (Ebony) for many years now and absolutely love it. I changed all the wiring and Pickups (Bare Knuckle - Stormy Monday Unpotted) and they sound awesome Really stunning sound. 

I have been hugely influenced by the latest Tom Murphy 1959 Ebony 335 and want to direct the mods aesthetically to this. https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/CUSFG2329/1959-ES-335-Ebony-Ultra-Light-Aged/Ebony

Kluston Tuners, 5ply Pickguard and a possible a new Bridge like the one in the picture.

Any Experience with the Faber bridges on a 335. Can I get the ones in pic with the Brass saddles? Any tonal differences?

5ply Pickguard best place to buy?

Also this may seem bonkers, but has anyone got someone like @GoldenEraGuitars to strip and respray a Epiphone Dot in nitro?

Thanks. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    absolutely love it … stunning sound … I have been hugely influenced by the latest Tom Murphy … this may seem bonkers
    Welcome to the wonderful world of G.A.S.

If you had not seen images of the Tom Murphy "aged" Gibsons, you would be enjoying the bejeezus out of your Epiphone Dot as is!

Nobody can say that you would be wrong to inflict further modifications on your guitar. On the other hand, there are probably better ways to squander your disposable income. 

Wait a month and see whether the impulse has passed.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1316
    Hello,

I have had my Ephiphone Dot (Ebony) for many years now and absolutely love it. I changed all the wiring and Pickups (Bare Knuckle - Stormy Monday Unpotted) and they sound awesome Really stunning sound. 

I have been hugely influenced by the latest Tom Murphy 1959 Ebony 335 and want to direct the mods aesthetically to this. https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/CUSFG2329/1959-ES-335-Ebony-Ultra-Light-Aged/Ebony

Kluston Tuners, 5ply Pickguard and a possible a new Bridge like the one in the picture.

Any Experience with the Faber bridges on a 335. Can I get the ones in pic with the Brass saddles? Any tonal differences?

Also this may seem bonkers, but has anyone got someone like @GoldenEraGuitars to strip and respray a Epiphone Dot in nitro?

Thanks. 

IMHO i think a strip and refin would be overkill,it starts to get in triggers broom territory ,what about flattening the finish down with a scotchbrite pad so its less glossy .
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    If you want to copy Tom Murphy, take a Stanley blade to the finish. A refinish on that guitar would be north of £600. 
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    Gotoh hardware is a good  upgrade too .Much heavier and toneful.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    edited July 2021
    dean111music said: this may seem bonkers, but has anyone got someone like @GoldenEraGuitars to strip and respray a Epiphone Dot in nitro?
    You hit the nail on the head there!    But it’s your guitar and your money, to do with as you please.
    The neck on the Epi is always going to be slim though and nothing like the fatter neck on the Murphy 59 335.
    Good luck with the project and enjoy!
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1534
    Ive had a Dot for a few years now, and repeatedly toyed with the notion of upgrading parts/refinish. But one of the reasons I like it is that it only cost about £200 in near perfect condition with a case. So any upgrade would mean it becomes much more expensive. It even has the original pickups (which I admit arent my favourite - but still nowt wrong with them).

One day (when I feel happy and dextrous enough to replace the pickups) I'll have a go at refinishing and *slightly* reshaping the neck (my least favourite part of the guitar). But that day is not today.

Good luck with the mods.

Adam
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1316
    If you want to copy Tom Murphy, take a Stanley blade to the finish. A refinish on that guitar would be north of £600. 
    Has anyone done the craft knife to poly finish ? must look terrible ? I imagine where you cut it slightly rises so would have to be wet and dried back flat ? then some type of wood stain in the cuts ?.
    mark123 said:. 
    Has anyone done the craft knife to poly finish?
    Dunno but plenty of people must have accidentally inflicted damage when a screwdriver slipped. 
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 895
    I put a replacement Faber bridge on my 335 copy, and it is very good. I got the locking type. That said, my reason for getting it was because the old bridge had a problem and it was affecting the tuning, rather than hoping to change the tone. Not sure if it did change the tone, but it sorted the problem and consequently I'm playing it more and it sounds great.  Very happy with it though, very good quality bridge.
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 782
    Hello,

I have had my Ephiphone Dot (Ebony) for many years now and absolutely love it. 

Why risk spoiling something you already love?

You could end up kicking yourself!
    edited July 2021
    Part of the art of guitar modification is knowing when to stop.

Recently, I was preparing an old Ibanez RG200 for sale locally. It was going receive some DiMarzios that were gathering dust. I decided to give the guitar one last test drive with a trio of Seymour Duncans that I knew suited it. On plugging in, I immediately realised that this was how that guitar should be. 

The DiMarzio pickups went into an old Charvel Model 3, where they sound as if they should always have been there. (Vai/Gilbert/Petrucci noises … not like can actually play like them.) All very Eighties but a sound type that I did not have in my collection.

RESULT - I lost a sale but I have two guitars with which I am very pleased.
    Be seeing you.
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    absolutely love it … stunning sound … I have been hugely influenced by the latest Tom Murphy … this may seem bonkers
    Welcome to the wonderful world of G.A.S.

If you had not seen images of the Tom Murphy "aged" Gibsons, you would be enjoying the bejeezus out of your Epiphone Dot as is!

Nobody can say that you would be wrong to inflict further modifications on your guitar. On the other hand, there are probably better ways to squander your disposable income. 

Wait a month and see whether the impulse has passed.
    I have always loved the VOS finishes and wish my Epi would look like that. I guess its best to save the money and put it towards a real Gibson. 

mark123 said:
    Hello,

Thanks. 

IMHO i think a strip and refin would be overkill,it starts to get in triggers broom territory ,what about flattening the finish down with a scotchbrite pad so its less glossy .
    does this work on Poly finishes? I did this on my gloss nitro finishes (Fender Neck) which worked nicely but Poly?

thanks. Might be best to put that money towards a Gibson VOS :)?

dean111music said: this may seem bonkers, but has anyone got someone like @GoldenEraGuitars to strip and respray a Epiphone Dot in nitro?
    You hit the nail on the head there!    But it’s your guitar and your money, to do with as you please.
    The neck on the Epi is always going to be slim though and nothing like the fatter neck on the Murphy 59 335.
    Good luck with the project and enjoy!
    Yeah might be a bit overkill :) The neck has never been a problem, does feel small in the hand but it produces a brighter sound especially with the unspotted Stormy Monday pickups! 

I put a replacement Faber bridge on my 335 copy, and it is very good. I got the locking type. That said, my reason for getting it was because the old bridge had a problem and it was affecting the tuning, rather than hoping to change the tone. Not sure if it did change the tone, but it sorted the problem and consequently I'm playing it more and it sounds great.  Very happy with it though, very good quality bridge.
    thanks! I need to look into what bridge I need for the Dot. Locking or non locking?
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11495
    tFB Trader
    I was pleased with how David's Epi Emily Woolf 335 type came out

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• wraubwraub Frets: 27
    edited July 2021
    I think if you like the guitar and plan to keep it, then modding as desired is fine. If you can justify/afford to mod, why not? If you think you'll really want the Gibson down the line, then play this one as is, often, and save.

I recently acquired for free some crazy expensive pickups, and, being broke, I got an inexpensive guitar to put them in... the guitar cost a fourth the price of the pickups.  D  I probably should have just sold the pickups, but, being broke, I figured "when's the next time I'll have access to these?" and, they're pretty good.

The budget guitar is also pretty good, and, surprise, now I'm looking at adding aged nickel hardware... I mean, the hardware has to match the pickups, right?

It's a sickness, I tells ya! But, if it's your sickness... enjoy. 
    taking the shine off Poly finishes. Has anyone got any good resources for doing this correctly. I just watched his  
     But has anyone got anything better?
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    Don't know if this is of any interest? I made it to fit a Dot and the guy decided against it.