New Very Old Pedal Day

What's Hot
boz_hboz_h Frets: 53
I have been enjoying my T-Rex Replicator Jr for a while now, there is something about real tape echo (foibles and all) that is just so good.  Anyway, to cut a long story short, an old friend had his amp serviced and got talking to the amp tech, for some reason he happened to mention that his mate loves tape echo and really misses his old Copicat.  The guy then told him that his hobby is renovating old WEM stuff mainly Copicats, and he had one he had just finished and would his mate like to buy it (for a very reasonable price).  A phone call later, and it was on its way to me.  What arrived was an early 60s Mk2 valve in incredible condition given its age.  It has been fully services and a ground added, it even came with 10 tape loops.  What's really stunning is that it's so quiet, virtually no hiss or hum, my solid-state Copicat was a noisy old hector, this one if you're not playing you only notice it's on by the noise from the motors.
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 918
    Pics and sound clips please!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • And how’s it compare to the Replicator Jr?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boz_hboz_h Frets: 53

A couple of quick photos, I have not even wiped it down yet.  I will try and get round to recording some clips.  Comparison wise with the Jr, they are different beasts with over 50 years between them.  Sound wise I really love the Jr, but there is something about tone of this Copicat that is just so good.  Pushing the gain on the input of the Copicat you can make a clean amp breakup in a really musical way, into an overdriven amp it really roars, add in the echo and I have a huge silly smile on my face. If I had to chose with my head, it would have to be the Jr, smaller, more versatile with modern feature like tap tempo, longer delay times. If with my hart it would be the Copicat, even if it were only because it looks so cool. 
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HottubesHottubes Frets: 394
    My pal from the tear drop explodes used to use one of these.

I love an ep3 echoplex myself nothing sounds like real tape. Imho. Congrats on a great score.
  • What is the guitar on the left?
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    What is the guitar on the left?
    Ovation Breadwinner?
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10180
    Named after the small town in Shropshire?
    Is there a town in Shropshire called Copicat?  I was a very luck person with this and I really have to thank my mate for going to the effort of sorting it all out.  An EP3 has been on my radar for a while, just don't think the Mrs would let me keep my dangly bits if I bought one.  The Guitar is indeed a Breadwinner, or the body and the neck of a Breadwinner to be more precise. Found it on eBay in a state only its mother would love, felt sorry for it, so bought it.  The person who had it before me had ripped out the active circuitry, stripped it and fitted it with a home made, scratch plate and humbuckers.  The neck literally had an S shaped relief. Took it to Ed in his shed (Swansea Luther) and he pulled off a miracle, sorted the neck out and fixed a load of other faults and made it sound great and play nice.  I have plans to get a new scratch plate made (more akin to the original) and get it refined.  Just have to get around to it. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31520
    Just in case you're unfamiliar with the history of these things and aren't joking @TeleMaster ;, WEM = Watkins Electric Music. 
    :)
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10180
    p90fool said:
    Just in case you're unfamiliar with the history of these things and aren't joking @TeleMaster ;, WEM = Watkins Electric Music. 
    :)
    Yea I was being a douche. I have family in Wem. ;)
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6054
    boz_h said:
    Is there a town in Shropshire called Copicat?  I was a very luck person with this and I really have to thank my mate for going to the effort of sorting it all out.  An EP3 has been on my radar for a while, just don't think the Mrs would let me keep my dangly bits if I bought one.  The Guitar is indeed a Breadwinner, or the body and the neck of a Breadwinner to be more precise. Found it on eBay in a state only its mother would love, felt sorry for it, so bought it.  The person who had it before me had ripped out the active circuitry, stripped it and fitted it with a home made, scratch plate and humbuckers.  The neck literally had an S shaped relief. Took it to Ed in his shed (Swansea Luther) and he pulled off a miracle, sorted the neck out and fixed a load of other faults and made it sound great and play nice.  I have plans to get a new scratch plate made (more akin to the original) and get it refined.  Just have to get around to it. 
    I was wondering about the jack socket placement; that explains it. Can I ask what is the neck shape like (now you've had it sorted out), is it thick or thin and how shaped?
  • That is a gorgeous looking unit.
    The body and neck are apparently very early examples, 71? The jack socket was moved from the body to the pick guard almost immediately.  The neck is thinish, not overly wide (D shape ), simular to my Hamer studio, just a little thinner (think Gibson 60s ish).  I find it's quite a lite, surprisingly comfortable thing to play standing up or sitting down. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    JezWynd said:
    What is the guitar on the left?
    Ovation Breadwinner?
    The body outline and bridge are right but those normally only have two knobs and a selector switch.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.