Bluebottles

What's Hot

Comments

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    I swear they’ve slowed down. 

When I was a kid, I could never manage to swat one. Now I’m like Neo in the Matrix. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    CHRISB50 said:
    I swear they’ve slowed down. 

When I was a kid, I could never manage to swat one. Now I’m like Neo in the Matrix. 
    I think you’re onto something here - as I have experienced similar with other insects.

Put it down to global warming and the proliferation of rubbish/food.

They are all eating too much and getting bloated in the sun. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24263
    I can't hit the buggers even with a giant electric bat of death.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Use a Telecaster.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    We have a terrible problem with Hornets every year (never been able to find the nest )
    So, we have an Industrial type UV zapper mounted above the back door like the ones you used to see in Butchers shops,
    bluebottles,moths,wasps,hornets etc all get zapped as they are attracted to the UV light
    A big Bluebottle or a Hornet makes a very satisfying crack as it meets its maker
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Emp_Fab said:
    Do you flap it around like a tennis racket?
    Cos that has a low hit rate compared to holding the handle firmly with one hand and pulling the top back to get a bit of tension across the death bat.  When the fly is within range release the top and the thing will ping with coiled energy at the insect. Press the power button as you release too.
    High hit rate.
    You can really use this to great effect with regular fly swatters too.  More tension = more speed of swipe.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4308
    Emp_Fab said:
    I can give lessons but I’m not cheap

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    If you open the window just a crack, the air flow is greater; they sense that and fly towards it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Not in my house they don't mate!  If you crack open the window a little bit, the stupid things keep charging at the glass and in the meantime, another four get in!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I hate the bastards. It's all out war in my house, I kill them with a zapper bat, flick them with a tea towel and yesterday I literally punched one out of the air and finished him off with a cushion.

They used to be just annoying, but a few years ago one go into a sizeable remains of cooked chicken that I had wrapped up (but clearly not well enough). Chicken was deemed inedible and it was war on from that moment. 

In all fairness I do usually warn them to get out or die ....
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    We get those big bastard horseflies, black with white spots and evil looking red eyes. One of those bites you and you know about it. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11562
    boogieman said:
    We get those big bastard horseflies, black with white spots and evil looking red eyes. One of those bites you and you know about it. 
    One of the evil feckers bit me on the foot as I sat outside the pub this Wednesday.  It still itches like buggery, it's very swollen and continues to ooze something unpleasant.  Puts me off wearing shorts and t-shirts when they're in season.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    Offset said:
    boogieman said:
    One of the evil feckers bit me on the foot as I sat outside the pub this Wednesday.  It still itches like buggery, it's very swollen and continues to ooze something unpleasant.  Puts me off wearing shorts and t-shirts when they're in season.
    Whack a big splodge of Germolene on it and that’ll sort it.  ;)
    Is that so it can't see with the ointment in its eyes and won't be able to find you?
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3528
    Offset said:
    Somewhere, I have a rubber-band fly gun that shoots plastic spider webs.
    Ok, now I have GAS. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    I have gone soft in my old age... I don’t kill them any more. I’ve discovered that catching them is easier than killing them, anyway - use a clear plastic box (Seymour Duncan pickup box is ideal) and a postcard. If you move the box slowly they don’t sense danger until you’re close enough to suddenly trap them with it.

Then I let them out of the window directly behind the rose bush which has more spiders in it than Raiders Of The Lost Ark. They can take their own chances.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Dominic said:
    We have a terrible problem with Hornets every year (never been able to find the nest )

Ooooo… I got stung on a toe by one of those fuckers a few years back… within minutes my whole foot had doubled in size, very red, very hot and hurt like hell!!!!
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    We just had a nasty in the living room for two days. Huge, and really dumb - all the windows open (large vent, slight vent, mixed vents) and it just wouldn’t leave.

I know I am good company, but there is a limit. Mrs 001 wanted to leave it be, but those horsefly stories got me worried.

Hallelujah, a glass and card did the trick this morning.

Phew…
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11562
    Greatape said:
    Offset said:
    Somewhere, I have a rubber-band fly gun that shoots plastic spider webs.
    Ok, now I have GAS. 
    Edit - it's spring-powered.  Haven't used it for ages but I'm going to dig it out.

Feed your GAS:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pair-Fly-Guns-Total-Without/dp/B003DKNICG
    Grunfeld said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Do you flap it around like a tennis racket?
    Cos that has a low hit rate compared to holding the handle firmly with one hand and pulling the top back to get a bit of tension across the death bat.  When the fly is within range release the top and the thing will ping with coiled energy at the insect. Press the power button as you release too.
    High hit rate.
    You can really use this to great effect with regular fly swatters too.  More tension = more speed of swipe.

All very good advice - but - if you can't track the buggers once they start flying, you're stuffed.  If they were day-glo orange, I'd stand a good chance, but once they've taken off, I can't see them.