Fender Tonemaster Amps

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader

rlw said:
    This thread amuses and annoys me in that, was Fender to develop the tech to the point where the Tonemaster amps were measurably better in every way to the valve based originals, some people would still prefer valves because, well valves.

I saw that very thing on TPS.

They were comparing a vintage Dimension C to a Waza.

The old one had a dark sounding buffer, a higher noise floor and audible clipping.
    Dan immediately declares it to be better because of the "crunchyness".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    I have  a relative who avoids modern cars because 60's cars are much safer .Each to their own .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You can’t beat a wind up gramophone…..
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3894
    I love my Tone Master, it works for me in an apartment, practicing, recording and hopefully more rehearsals and gigs on the horizon.

It’s versatile, sounds good at home, is easy to record and sounded fantastic used at band volume.

I love valve amps, but this is more useful to me than my previous Princeton 68 Custom.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I started this thread because I am interested in the TMDR……and after all the comments I’m going to get one….for me the most significant attraction is the weight….I’m getting on a bit now, 74, and as gigs look to be on the horizon I dread taking my valve combo, which I love, as it seems to be bolted to the floor !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3894
    I started this thread because I am interested in the TMDR……and after all the comments I’m going to get one….for me the most significant attraction is the weight….I’m getting on a bit now, 74, and as gigs look to be on the horizon I dread taking my valve combo, which I love, as it seems to be bolted to the floor !
    They are super light. The drummer I play with picked mine up from the car park and it nearly took off as he was expecting the usual weight from my previous valve amps!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Josh_CoskuJosh_Cosku Frets: 148
    I don't own one but recently tried a blonde one. Clean sounds are really good but I didn't like cranked up or edge of break up sounds. I played a few times with the band some deluxe reverb reissues at higher volumes (65 RI). I think a cranked deluxe reverb sound is very close to my favorite guitar sound in my mind. That sound was not there with Tonemaster, it was even not close. 

Attanuated lower volume (bedroom levels) driven sounds it was a little bit better. But at higher volumes it was a no go for me.

But the weight and practicality is really great. I didn't try it with pedals, if it takes drive pedals well it can be a really good gigging amp. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited August 2021
    I finally pulled the trigger and it arrived this lunchtime.

I went with the Fender Twin Reverb Blonde edition.

So far it sounds ace, and seems to take my pedals really well. I use a real amp in a box style drive & it’s perfect. In fact it takes it just as well as my Blackstar Artisan, but in a slightly more compressed way. It does feel like there’s a Boss CS-2 on all the time. My memory of Fender Twins is from playing three band bills on the toilet circuit in the early 90’s. So I don’t think I got to play through incredibly good examples. But it does sound like a Twin.

My only concern is that some of the rear pine panels feel a bit “balsa” like. I think I might re-enforce some of it with Gaffa Tape. 

But I’m genuinely shocked. Finally the promise of modelling has arrived. To my ears anyway. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    jeztone2 said:

My only concern is that some of the rear pine panels feel a bit “balsa” like. I think I might re-enforce some of it with Gaffa Tape.
    Vintage Fender ones are made from hardboard, and often reinforced with gaffer tape after they get broken, so it may be accurate!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• StefBStefB Frets: 2331
    ICBM said:
    jeztone2 said:

Vintage Fender ones are made from hardboard, and often reinforced with gaffer tape after they get broken, so it may be accurate!
    Why do Fender still steadfastly refuse to address this issue in 2021? 

While I kind of see the value of thinner wood on a low weight amp, the rear panels on their amps generally must surely be one of the most complained of design elements over the years?
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1204
    edited August 2021
    They've released a Super Reverb version now. So i guess they're selling well.
    https://www.fender.com/en-GB/guitar-amplifiers/contemporary-digital/tone-master-super-reverb/2274306000.html

If you just plug and play clean, I guess they do a decent job. However, I don't think they take various dirt pedals well at all.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Babones said:
    They've released a Super Reverb version now. So i guess they're selling well.
    https://www.fender.com/en-GB/guitar-amplifiers/contemporary-digital/tone-master-super-reverb/2274306000.html

If you just plug and play clean, I guess they do a decent job. However, I don't think they take various dirt pedals well at all.
    Which is funny because I use mine with a Jan Ray or Klon pretty much always on…
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    edited August 2021
    I wonder if these amps actually show up some pedals as not being that great.

My True North Tweed Drive works brilliantly but the BD-2W less so,to my taste anyway, although that is comparing chalk and chesse I guess.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    rlw said:

My True North Tweed Drive works brilliantly but the BD-2W less so,to my taste anyway, although that is comparing chalk and chesse I guess.

I don't think amps show up pedals as not being good, it's just that different amps suit different pedals.

It's why it's completely useless when someone says they want an overdrive that does X without specifying the amp they are using.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    rlw said:

I don't think amps show up pedals as not being good, it's just that different amps suit different pedals.

It's why it's completely useless when someone says they want an overdrive that does X without specifying the amp they are using.

Yes, I should have qualified not being great as not being so suitable as another.

The tweed pedal I use is just so natural with the Tonemaster whereas the BD2-W, to me, sounds a little, well, digital :)
  • rlw said:
    rlw said:

Yes, I should have qualified not being great as not being so suitable as another.

The tweed pedal I use is just so natural with the Tonemaster whereas the BD2-W, to me, sounds a little, well, digital :)
    Weird if it sounds digital, my understanding is it’s an analog pedal! It does suit a Marshall a bit more supposedly (SD-1 the more mid focused option compliments a blackface more I believe)

I’d also add guitar using and pickup using to overdrive choices…54 strat pickups through TMDR and I prefer a different overdrive for bridge pickup to neck
  • I’m admittedly not a huge pedal user but I’ve found the TMDR with bright cap clip firmware to take what I do have well, including surprisingly a beano boost I dragged from in front of my Marshall because why not. The one pedal I did struggle with is a fuzz face type, but that could be user error. I want to like fuzz faces more than they want to like me!
  • skippy76skippy76 Frets: 615
    Running a single switch Hudson Broadcast through my blonde TMDR and it’s pure filth. 

The attenuation is handy for jamming/rehearsals etc.

My other amp is a vintage 66 Fender Showmaster head and both sound great IMO.

rlw said:
    rlw said:

Weird if it sounds digital, my understanding is it’s an analog pedal! It does suit a Marshall a bit more supposedly (SD-1 the more mid focused option compliments a blackface more I believe)

I’d also add guitar using and pickup using to overdrive choices…54 strat pickups through TMDR and I prefer a different overdrive for bridge pickup to neck
    Definitely analogue the BD2
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    From what I’ve found. The Twin is better than the Deluxe with drives, because of the mid control. The Deluxe I tried didn’t seem that great. Also headroom. The Twin has loads.