NPD - Hologram Electronics Microcosm

What's Hot
markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591

So after looking at these for a while and thinking - that's the latest hipster noise making pedal I must buy one! I did. 

They go used for more money than you can buy them off Hologram for used and even importing it from the US was easy as you pay all fees etc. upfront - so the nice DHL man just handed it to me.

I was in the August slot when I bought it - so I was expecting it to arrive next month, but I guess I got lucky.

I won't lie it was too hot today even for a new toy... but I did spend about 30 mins twisting knobs randomly and making odd noises. As we know why read a manual - OK I confess I did have a quick look to get the midi cc numbers so I could use my Helix to start stop the looper... yet again my Helix saved me a few quid not having to buy a morningstar midi pedal!

Anyhow the first thing I would say is there is a bit of noise from the pedal - reading up a bit it seems there is just a bit of noise in the design - the Warlus Audio Slo did the same thing (and I sent it back) I hate NOISE! But once the thing is up and running you don't notice it... if you see it on eBay you'll know I still did :)

Yes there are a lot of knobs... secondary features... menus... flashing lights... but it was pretty straight forward to get going and make some odd, shoegazing, ambient nonsense. I could happily spend a few hours doing that... so it's up my street,

As I said I got the looper linked to my helix as the pedal is on my desk top - so I can trigger it with foot pedals - works as a standard looper, but comes to life once you add effects over it. (The looper does more than just a standard looper but I've only had a quick go with 'burst' so far.

Anyhow here's a quick bit of nonsense that I just recorded as I thought it was nice - and shows what you can do after a short period of just randomly turning knobs. 

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Awesome thing

I loved the demo here

https://www.hologramelectronics.com/microcosm

Thanks for igniting the gas, I want all 3 pedals
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • toescantalktoescantalk Frets: 142
    Nice. Can't beat a bit of ambient nonsense.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11873
    edited July 2021
    Love one of these.  How does it compare to the Blooper?
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 455
    I'm on the list of the Sep batch whoooop!
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    @RaymondLin i have the blooper and the mood. I think it's closer to the mood, the blooper is still more of a 'creative' looper, i think the microcosm is an effect first and looper second. But its very early days.

I'll run it into my blooper, the mood could probably go in the long run... (Plus i haven't really found much use for the mood, whereas the blooper i use a lot.
    markblack said:
    @RaymondLin i have the blooper and the mood. I think it's closer to the mood, the blooper is still more of a 'creative' looper, i think the microcosm is an effect first and looper second. But its very early days.

I'll run it into my blooper, the mood could probably go in the long run... (Plus i haven't really found much use for the mood, whereas the blooper i use a lot.
    Thanks, do you think you can recreate similar sound with say a reverb + a LoFi pedal like Gen Loss + a looper?
  • Sounds great @markblack, I’ve had my eye on one of these since it came out. I’ve read that you can use the modulation and reverb on the Microcosm separately, is that true?
    @RaymondLin I'll be honest i don't know much about the Gen Loss... Other than they are pricey! I think it has quite a lot of sound options in it, so I'm sure you could get close to a section with various pedals. But its a looper, micro looper, glitchy, reverb, etc. There's quite a lot of options.

@BintyTwanger77 not that I've found... Yet. If i do I'll let you know.

• markblack said:
    @RaymondLin I'll be honest i don't know much about the Gen Loss... Other than they are pricey! I think it has quite a lot of sound options in it, so I'm sure you could get close to a section with various pedals. But its a looper, micro looper, glitchy, reverb, etc. There's quite a lot of options.

@BintyTwanger77 not that I've found... Yet. If i do I'll let you know.

Cheers mate.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    edited July 2021
    I'm finding this pedal is genuinely exciting and something new in a world of recreated tube screamers and fuzz pedals.

Why is this thread not getting more love?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2021
    @meltedbuzzbox ; i know what you mean, I'm still getting my head round it to be honest, but it's more interesting that the MOOD for example.

It's not going to be for everyone, but it's got a lot going on. 

It's getting a bit of love on the usual youtube suspects (even if it's paid for love )

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    I'd love it i'm sure, but since I no longer have the dining table sized board I simply do not have the room for one. 
    @GavRichList ha! I know what you mean. You could just velcro your dining room table?
    How big is it? Strymon Timeline size?
    @RaymondLin about as wide as a big strymon - but a bit deeper and a bit taller. Pretty chunky. 

I love a thick pedal lol I got my Dispatch Master back and was a bit underwhelmed that it is rather thin lol
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    That's amazing.
    Want one.

Another bit of random  - a loop recored into the  microcosm - on the micorloop setting SEQ - then just playing over the top of it and letting the MC fill in the gaps - excuse the ropey playing.
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 919
    Sounds great, it's on my list of "would love to try one day"