Gibson J-45 50s/60s

What's Hot
AmigoAmigo Frets: 119
Anyone tried these? They are supposed to have narrower necks (1"11/16) that are thicker (more C-shaped, not flat) than the standard J45s. The current reissues, that is.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    The original 50s/60s?
    The 50s is a chunky C and a wider nut.  the 60s is slimmer and more like a standard 

They sound blooming good
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Compared a 50's and standard recently. 50's neck maybe a bit fatter? Has a bigger pick gard and nicer white button machineheads. 

Tonally the standard has tighter lows and brighter trebles whereas the 50's is mellower on attack and highs. Both sound great, pick the standard if you want a slightly more hifi tone. 
  • AmigoAmigo Frets: 119
    Would the current r60s and 50s reissues not have the same neck then?
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Amigo said:
    Would the current r60s and 50s reissues not have the same neck then?
    No. Slim thin vs fatter wider
    A good comparison between the two here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MgnV7ITWpU
    To my ears the '50s sounds more trebly, but seems to cut through better, '60s is more bassy but warner. What do you guys hear?
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    edited January 2022
    Amigo said:
    A good comparison between the two here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MgnV7ITWpU
    To my ears the '50s sounds more trebly, but seems to cut through better, '60s is more bassy but warner. What do you guys hear?
    I'm hearing much more bass on the 60's but that could just as much be down to the smaller neck suiting the demonstrator better and him actually fretting more clearly on it (the 50s puts out plenty of bass when he's strumming with the low E open). Apart from that I hear the sound of a thin pick more than anything!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    It could be the individual guitar as well.  You could get a different example of the 50's guitar that has more low end and less top end cut.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Lewy said:
    I'm hearing much more bass on the 60's but that could just as much be down to the smaller neck suiting the demonstrator better and him actually fretting more clearly on it (the 50s puts out plenty of bass when he's strumming with the low E open). Apart from that I hear the sound of a thin pick more than anything!
    So the neck on the '60s is thinner than the '50s? Good point then.
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    I liked my 50s J45, but it just too chunky a neck for me in the end, so I sold it. Fine for cowboy chords, but I found it a bit of a battle further up the neck.
    Call me Dave.
    edited January 2022
    DB1 said:
    I liked my 50s J45, but it just too chunky a neck for me in the end, so I sold it. Fine for cowboy chords, but I found it a bit of a battle further up the neck.
    Was this an old one, or the new '50s Original range of the last couple of years? The new '50s and '60s originals differ on paper on the nut width, the former being a wider 1.72", standard modern J45 width. Was the neck also thicker?
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    This was from the recent 50s series, and I think it was bought new in summer last year. I also had an LG2 from the same series, but the neck was slimmer and more comfortable for me.
    Call me Dave.