Had 2nd vax yesterday, Anosmia content...

What's Hot
CirrusCirrus Frets: 6409
edited July 23 in Coronavirus
When I had Covid in March '20, I lost all taste and smell for a week. For another week or two it gradually came back, but heavily shifted towards stale cheese/ coffee/ smelly feet/ rotting onions mixed with something metallic.

It eventually got back to normal.

Then in early July '20, I felt run down and that smell sensation returned, but only slighty, and only noticably on certain scents - urine, particularly the first wee of the day, cat food, and very very slightly on some cold meats in sandwiches. And it's been like that since, i've just got used to it as the new normal.

Until this morning, waking up with a headache/ run down feelings post - 2nd vax, I went for a wee, got a half second strong burst of the stale cheese/coffee etc scent, then... normal, pre- March '20 wee smell.

I don't know what to make of it.

I also had, last March while my sense of smell was slowly returning to normal, strange little bursts of scent, particularly as I was going to sleep - a half second of strawberry, or freshly cut grass...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RonantianRonantian Frets: 846
    Perhaps stop eating stale cheese with your nighttime coffee?
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3631
    I lost a great deal of my sense of taste after getting Covid-19 last April.  It's really difficult to judge how much though isn't it because we tend not to quantify these things. 
    I live alone and it was many months after infection till I noticed the huge amount of lime pickle I'd been getting through.  And interestingly -- I think? -- I had lost a lot of the ability to detect whatever it is that makes chillies hot:  those perceptions were dulled.  I was never able to tolerate a Scotch bonnet or habanero directly but now I can chop two into a salad for a mild zing.  So is it the nerve endings which have been nuked or is it the perception of those sensations which has altered?  I suspect the former because I don't sweat with them either.

However, a week or so ago I noticed my coffee tasted bitter.  Yuk! 
    Hooray!
    It would be nice to taste stuff again.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 1926
    Both times I had COVID I was constantly smelling cigarette smoke (and no, I don't smoke, neither does my partner). Got to the point I literally turned the lounge upside-down trying to find the source of it.

It eventually went away, but after my first jab it came back for a few days; 2nd jab was fine (well, it floored me, but I didn't have the smell of cigarette smoke).

Very odd!
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 502
    Grunfeld said:
    I was never able to tolerate a Scotch bonnet or habanero directly but now I can chop two into a salad for a mild zing.  So is it the nerve endings which have been nuked or is it the perception of those sensations which has altered?  I suspect the former because I don't sweat with them either.
    At the risk of being uncouth (and obviously way off topic), does that not do catastrophic things at the other end?
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 3631
    LoFi said:

At the risk of being uncouth (and obviously way off topic), does that not do catastrophic things at the other end?
    Nope.  Now you mention it everything fairly mild although definitely some sensitivity.
    But now I'm wondering if going for a pee after chopping chillies causes a problem.  I bloody hate curiosity because I can tell that this thought has become sticky.  If I end up in A&E I'm blaming you @LoFi ! :)

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 4589
    Since having Covid everything smells of raspberries and melon followed by subtle floral notes with a hint of vanilla. I'm thinking of re-training as a sommelier. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 9575
    How odd. I had a horrible smell of a menthol solution you mix with hot water and inhale. It lasted weeks and I sometimes still get a whiff of it.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.