Suhr legacy series

What's Hot
chris78chris78 Frets: 9267
Looks like these got announced recently. The seem to be cheaper (still expensive!) versions of the Knopfler spec. Maple neck, rather than mahogany, Okume body rather than Mahogany and EMG81, not 85 humbucker. Floyd or Gotoh available.

Compared to the 6k+ knopfler spec, they're a bit more reasonable. 
 https://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/solid-body/suhr-limited-edition-standard-legacy-trans-caramel-hss-floyd.htm
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think it is an 85 in the bridge, the peach spec says 85. The 81 is great for down tuned metal and thrash, Sultans of Swing not so much. 
    Super cool guitar, tho. I remember being at peach maybe 10 years ago and them saying they sold  loads of the Pensa/Knofler spec Suhr.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I think it is an 85 in the bridge, the peach spec says 85. The 81 is great for down tuned metal and thrash, Sultans of Swing not so much. 
    Super cool guitar, tho. I remember being at peach maybe 10 years ago and them saying they sold  loads of the Pensa/Knofler spec Suhr.
    Not sure I believe that though.
    They almost never show up on the used market.
    They might have sold a few- but loads?
    Nah.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9267
    I think it is an 85 in the bridge, the peach spec says 85. The 81 is great for down tuned metal and thrash, Sultans of Swing not so much. 
    Suhr site reckons 81
     https://www.suhr.com/instruments/standard-legacy/
    Must admit, I know nothing about EMGs so if you're right, it's a very strange choice.
    Peach definitely sell them on the rare occasion they get them. The last one at £6,200 lasted less than a week
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited July 2021
    I played the ‘full fat’ version at Tone World some years ago. The example in question was heavy and had a very odd neck profile - thin but with a lot of shoulder.

Much as I like Knopfler, I can’t imagine I’d ever want to play one of these.
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    Recessed floyd would appear to be another key difference (based on Suhr's own images).

I think the price of the legacy series is perfectly reasonable, compared with Suhr's competitors anyway.
    Custom orders are fairly insane these days though, certainly once you start ticking a few option boxes.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22698
    Jackobean said:
    Recessed floyd would appear to be another key difference (based on Suhr's own images).

I think the price of the legacy series is perfectly reasonable, compared with Suhr's competitors anyway.
    Custom orders are fairly insane these days though, certainly once you start ticking a few option boxes.
    Funny how £2,900 has come to seem like a reasonable price, but that's the world we live in!

Just looking at the specs on the Suhr site, crikey that's a skinny neck!  And it does say EMG 81.  It's a long time ago but I do remember the 81 - and EMGs in general - having a surprisingly nice clean sound, but it's an odd choice.  Looks like a gold EMG logo though, do they still use silver on the 81 and gold on the 85, or have they given up on that colour coding?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24183
    I really want a Pete Thorn model. It's beautiful.

Never going to happen though.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4132

Get the Cort G300 - total copy.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11525

Get the Cort G300 - total copy.
    You beat me to it!  Quality, h/w, fit & finish on the Cort has to come close to the Suhr even at such a price delta.
  • paulphoenixpaulphoenix Frets: 141

The gold hardware on the Standard Legacy killed it for me - the colours are great though.

I'm not as much a fan of the Suhr Moderns as the Standards so I didn't froth too much over the Terras - but the colours are great though. 

@fretmeister - I'm with you. I really want a Pete Thorn Standard. It's beautiful. 

so never say never and F#@k the Cort G300 however cheap and close it is. 

One day it will be mine oh yes it will be mine. 

10 Wayne39s World memes ideas  wayne39s world wayne memes
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    The grey and green Moderns look great and the Trans Sonic Blue Classic S is also stunning
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4156
    Philly_Q said:

Just looking at the specs on the Suhr site, crikey that's a skinny neck!  And it does say EMG 81.  It's a long time ago but I do remember the 81 - and EMGs in general - having a surprisingly nice clean sound, but it's an odd choice.  Looks like a gold EMG logo though, do they still use silver on the 81 and gold on the 85, or have they given up on that colour coding?
    Yes, they still use that.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom