Removing decals from Boss pedals / Marshall Guv'nor Rehousing

What's Hot
InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 271
edited August 2021 in Making & Modding
Does anyone have any tips/advice for tidily removing the decal from Boss pedals?

Thanks.

Don’t follow influencers
Watch the parking meters
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14322
    edited July 2021
    As in, debadging? (Presumably, to reuse the case for a self-build project.)

I think the top and edge labelling is pad printed. Your only option may be abrasives followed by repainting.

The only reason I can think of for removing the black or blue label from the underside of a BOSS compact pedal is to replace it in an attempt to increase the perceived monetary value of the pedal on the secondhand market. Naughty!
    Be seeing you.
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 271
    edited July 2021
    Oh no! I'm not being naughty! And I'm looking to remove the "SUPER Over Drive SD-1" from my pedal (which even by SD-1 standards, is pretty bloody noisy). Thanks for replying, Funkfingers.

It's because I'm putting the guts of a Marshall Guv'nor into a Boss case, to be used in my Boss BCB-30. (I love Boss pedals, but couldn't be without my Guv'nor.) I plan to then apply a Marshall decal to the pedal.

Anyone else got any tips?

Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    Strip it down and get it powder coated in black. The trickiest step would be peeling the rubber pad off the switch part - try a hairdryer to soften the glue.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    It can't be that hard - recently I saw a Blues Driver which the owner had creatively (and I thought quite humourously) re-named "B u s Driver" by removing the extra letters :). I don't know how he did it, but they came off almost perfectly cleanly with minimal visible scratching of the blue paint.

I'd guess a mild abrasive such as fine wire wool or something like T-Cut would do it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2021
    Hmmm. I can't shift it.

I tried warming it up and using T-Cut, and also my idea of putting parcel tape on it and peeling it off sharply, and it still looks the damn same.

Ah well! Thanks all for your replies. I think I might get creative with painting the area and putting the transfer over the top of that. Should be able to do it tidily, I reckon.
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    if you've the time and patience scrape it off with a razor.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    Isopropyl Alcohol?
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1583
    Acetone?
    It's done now. I used 100 grade sandpaper to remove the bulk of it, and got rid of the rest with 2000 grade.

It looks great, just as if the pedal had been made and the decal left off. Once the new Marshall transfer is applied and I've gone over it with spray lacquer, it'll be a really good new look.

Thank you to all who read and replied to this thread.

Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Just curious... when you say you're going to rehouse a Guv'nor in it, do you mean a Mk1 or a GV-2? Each will have considerable - but different - challenges to getting the pots and PCB in, I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    It's a MK1 Guv'nor. I'm going to replace and break out all the pots. Bass and Mid will be internal trimpots, and Treble will be wired to the "tone" knob - I always kept Bass and Mid at 12 o'clock and adjusted Treble to taste. Drive and Volume will be as usual on the pedal's panel.

One of the Guv's sockets is broken, and I'm going to remove the others and break them out too.

I'm left with the two narrow PCBs. I plan to sandwich them together with spacers and fix them into the Boss pedal.

I've planned it all out and it should all fit splendidly. The pedal is prepared and ready, the boards and on my table, I'm just waiting for a replacement TL072.
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1590
    Be good to see some pics after it's done.
    edited July 2021
    I'll put some up, markblack.
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
    I noticed some very light scratching when the light caught the pedal right.

Using T-cut removed next to nothing, judging by the non-reduction of scratching and lack of yellow on the rag.

Next I tried 2000 grade wet sandpaper, soaked for a few minutes in warm washing up liquid water. This was the best treatment of all I've tried.

All the scratches disappeared. There was one point where I went ever-so-slightly onto the "INPUT" label. There was a very small trail of ink that ran down (thankfully, nothing was removed from the overall graphic). Because of this, and the ease with which the pedal could be rubbed without scratching using 2000 grade wet sandpaper, that is what I currently recommend for removing Boss decals. Don't bother with the lower grade papers like I used - 2000 grade wet should be all you need. I'll have a look at it under daylight tomorrow and post back.

(Seems there is next to no info on the web about removing graphics from Boss pedals. That surprised me - and led to me starting this thread.)

YMMV and all that; if you make your Boss pedal look terrible, it's your own fault! ;)
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
    Oh yeah, photos of the inside and out coming soon. I have to borrow a camera.
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
    edited August 2021
    Here's a quick picture taken with my ancient Nokia 3310:

Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    Very nice - but surely it needs some of these?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    That’s quite good looking!

Still though, painted black, white logo, and those knobs…
    You're quite right! I should get some of those knobs!
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters

ICBM said:
    Just curious... when you say you're going to rehouse a Guv'nor in it, do you mean a Mk1 or a GV-2? Each will have considerable - but different - challenges to getting the pots and PCB in, I think.

I cannot resist a good challenge!

Some components were relocated, some moved aside (eg C1 and C10) and a couple of traces were broken and rerouted around the spacers. The spacer length is 7mm. It all fits great, with no squeezing at all. Only just, mind!

VR2 and VR3 (Bass and Mid) were replaced with easily accessible trimpots.
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom