Come Sunday, my 16yo son may be a qualified racing driver...

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    edited July 2021
    That's brilliant news!

Living the dream.

(Obviously if I weighed as little as he does I'd be faster. #fatboyexcuses) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7411
    That's brilliant news!

Living the dream.

I'm.sure he'd be happy to ballast-up at Daytona and see? 
    Red ones are better. 
    RiftAmps said:
    The practical ARDS test is all about safety, not lap times. The instructor wants to see that he can be safe on track and be aware of other traffic. He will be driving at about 90% of race pace.

The written exam is less forgiving, make sure he knows his flags inc waved/double waved whites and yellows, plus Code 60.

I budget around £6000 (plus damage) a year for racing, but I own my car and self-fund. Hiring is vastly more expensive but less hassle. Forty40 Racing have great deals on their BMW 116 Trophy cars, a great series to start in, and share costs with other drivers. Even though the Citroen C1s/City Car Cup/EnduroKa championships are 'cheap', they all come with massive repair bills, so factor that in.

Sponsorship - pretty non-existent in the way you'd want it to be. No one is gonna pay for him to go club racing. Most of my own sponsors simply offer discounts on parts/consumables etc but one does cover my fuel bill for the year, which helps.

Always happy to help if you need advice
    May pick your brain at some point! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1556
    TimmyO said:
    Cheers all
    Offset said:
    Best of luck with your op.  And you must be really proud of your son.  Does he lean towards James Hunt or Lewis Hamilton in his approach to his chosen sport?!
    I've told him some of the James Hunt stories and he just looks at me perplexed - he's far more LH than JH yes
    Ah, but did you tell him about Hunt’s real passion  for the birds ?!

Hope all goes well for you both…
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10203
    That’s amazing. I hope he has a blast!
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4910
    Best of luck to both of you - can't believe he's 16 though!  I'm sure I remember you announcing his birth on the Guitarist forum!

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1378
    Good luck to him. My lad came close to a career in pro sport but no cigar. He is now happy as can be at Uni so plan B is essential. But if he doesn’t make it as a driver, there must be some sort of career there somewhere?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    rsvmark said:
    Good luck to him. My lad came close to a career in pro sport but no cigar. He is now happy as can be at Uni so plan B is essential. But if he doesn’t make it as a driver, there must be some sort of career there somewhere?
    well, even in this cashless, digital economy society people must still do armed hold ups surely. They always need a getaway driver. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Nitefly said:
    Best of luck to both of you - can't believe he's 16 though!  I'm sure I remember you announcing his birth on the Guitarist forum!

You remember right! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • VimFuego said:
    rsvmark said:
    well, even in this cashless, digital economy society people must still do armed hold ups surely. They always need a getaway driver. 
    Could be a lucrative career.

Alternatively, my brother worked as an electrical engineer for Jaguar until this week. He'd been doing it for over a decade. As part of his job, he regularly track tested electronic features of cars - not just JLR made either.

One of his "assignments" included QC testing the car that Batista put into a river in Spectre. Another included a two week long trip to the Algarve Circuit that they use in the F1 because it was cheaper to send him there than it was to send a dozen cars with electrical faults to his office in Gaydon.

There are plenty of opportunities out there to be in and around cars for a living.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    TimmyO said:

Very likely to go similarly, or even less well, but what you gonna do, not bother? 
    Absolutely - got to go for it and see what happens.   

Great to have a dream, and be making progress towards it.  No qualification is ever worthless.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    TimmyO said:
    That's brilliant news!

Living the dream.

I'm.sure he'd be happy to ballast-up at Daytona and see? 
    Can you fit 7 stone of ballast on a kart?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Best of British to you both !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Exciting!!
    Good luck

Posting this from Silverstone pit lane waiting for his first one-track stint in a BMW M2.

One of the other participants is 17 and owns an F3 car lol 
    Red ones are better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26951
    Good luck!!! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6792
    TimmyO said:
    Posting this from Silverstone pit lane waiting for his first one-track stint in a BMW M2.

One of the other participants is 17 and owns an F3 car lol 
    Remind him not to use his indicators and tailgate the car in front ;). Good luck!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Go on the lad. Good luck!
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • Best of luck!
    :-/ based on first stint he thinks he'll fail - struggling with changing down coordination - came past frighteningly fast though lol 
    Red ones are better.