Greg Howe
    All the old songbook stuff
    Wes 
    Jarrett
    Scott Joplin if that’s not too early 
    Bill Evans
    Getz
    Oscar Peterson
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Hattigol said:
    Just the magazines really...
    I completely agree. Jazzwise is brilliant. Downbeat still reads well after all these years. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    The two I play most are probably Art Pepper's Winter Moon and Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. For some Tele-Jazz, anything by Ed Bickert. And for something more modern, Matthew Halsall, probably When The World Was One.
    Winter Moon is a stunning record. 

I was listening to a Best Of Thelonius Monk this afternoon. What an incredible writer and player. 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited July 2021
    Most of it, less so the singers tbh. Amongst my main likes Louis Armstrong Charlie Christian, Django, Jim Hall, Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, Wes Montgomery, Jazz Messengers, Joao & Astrud Gilberto, Stan Getz, Buddy Rich, Horace Silver, Mike Stern, John Scofield.  Trombone Shorty is a great modern-day interpreter.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Big into bebop.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    I'm not sure of Jazz in it's many "pure" forms, but I like it's influence in Rock and Pop to create X or Y Fusiony type things. I mean, what would you class Casiopea as? Jazz, Fusion? Funk? or all 3? I'm not even going to mention Spyro Gyra! Ooops, I did :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    I love The Yellowjackets, pretty much my all time favourite fusion jazz band.
    Weather Report, The Brecker Brothers, Hiromi, Steps Ahead, Pat Metheny are favourites of mine too.

Old school I like early Miles Davis, Wes, Ed Bickert, Dextor Gordon, Chet Baker, Dave Brubeck and  Bill Evans.
    All these greats are.very relaxd players which I love. less = more.
    Paul Desmond who played saxophone for Brubeck was just sublime.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4081
    VimFuego said:
    not sure if this qualifies as jazz, but I am quite keen on stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DL8SGEyhZE
    Bob James is awesome ,I think this is from an album called touchdown  ,love it , it fit perfectly with the Taxi visuals , great show too. His music is sampled lots too by hip hoppers 
  • TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 239
    OK, you've tempted me.

Went to the Liverpool Phil to hear some gypsy jazz and came across Adrien Moignard. Stunning. Speed and expression. Went for some of his recorded stuff and the best one I think is Entre Actes with Rocky Gresset. Wonderful. I could listen for hours. The shame is my playing is nowhere near that standard unfortunately.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3490
    edited July 2021
    Miles - all of it but especially 70's. Certain people have pooh-poohed him, and claimed that he didn't have much going on, chop-wise. Those people have a very broken conception as to what musicianship is. The right note, in the right place, at the right time. Add in also his ability to pick the right combination of players to give wings to the music. One of the few bona-fide geniuses of music. 

Wayne Shorter - solo albums from 'Juju', 'Speak no Evil' up to date. Maybe the finest living jazz composer. 

Herbie - with or without Headhunters

McCoy Tyner - always for me the high point of Coltrane records (I too don't care too much for Coltrane). His 70's solo albums are really nice. 

Sonny Rollins. Obvs. 

McLaughlin. If there's a 'best guitarist', he is likely it. Fantastic composer, singular voice. Revolutionary. And excels in more than one field. One of the greatest jazz improvisors of all time. 

Leni Stern - but only when not singing. She's written some great tunes. Her book on composition is worth acquiring just for the lead sheets. 

Wayne Krantz - for when I want that singular Krantz thing. 

90's US stuff like Will Bernard, Charlie Hunter, TJ Kirk, Peter Apfelbaum, Wayne Horvitz

Mike Stern. Does on occasion revert to licks but fabulous musician and composer. 

Metheny

Sco - pref 80's fusion Sco. 

Brecker Bros/Steps Ahead/,Jackets for more 70's / 80's fusion. Brecker sadly missed. 

Chick. Mostly Elektric Band but everything, really. 

Steve Khan

Cassandra Wilson. 'New Moon Daughter' era. Brandon Ross and Kevin Breit created amazing stringed instrument accompaniment.

David Gilmore - not 'Gilmour. ' Really liked 'Ritialism' and 'Numerology'. 

In small doses - Snarky Puppy, Cory Henry

Does Bossa Nova count? Lots of that. Especially João Gilberto. 

Quite a lot of stuff that gets filed under jazz but maybe isn't - Egberto Gismonti, Eivind Aarset, Steve Tibbetts....

This is a partial list.... 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 459
    Wes (all of it) GB (early, Cookbook is essential) and the legend Pat Martino - his first album El Hombre is off the charts. Trying to transcribe Cisco currently - it’s full of amazing lines.  Non guitar Bird, Bud Powell, Miles, Evans and Wayne Shorter. 
    equalsql said:
    I love The Yellowjackets, pretty much my all time favourite fusion jazz band.
    Weather Report, The Brecker Brothers, Hiromi, Steps Ahead, Pat Metheny are favourites of mine too.

Old school I like early Miles Davis, Wes, Ed Bickert, Dextor Gordon, Chet Baker, Dave Brubeck and  Bill Evans.
    All these greats are.very relaxd players which I love. less = more.
    Paul Desmond who played saxophone for Brubeck was just sublime.
    #wis 

Have only recently discovered the loveliness of Paul Desmond's playing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 943
    Depends on the mood.

The only time I've ever found the mood for trad jazz was in new Orleans.

I like melodic jazz, love pianos and saxophone.

Some people that I like some their music include

Miles Davies
    John Coltrane 
    Oscar petersen
    Keith jarratt 
    Charlie byrd
    Stan gets 

Don't know much about modern jazz 

• BradBrad Frets: 658
    Where to start! There are so many and for different reasons. Most of all that have been mentioned already. Off the top of my head…

Miles - never a wasted note. 

Coltrane - I think Giant Steps gets a bit of a bad rap actually. The rest of the album seems to get a little overlooked due to the title track. I love Bluetrane though, Lee Morgan and Curtis Fuller steal the show for me. 

Bill Evans - see Miles

Chet Baker - see Miles and Bill. 

Sonny Rollins/Sonny Stitt - their work on Dizzy Gillespie’s Eternal Triangle is fierce. 

Wes

Jim Hall

Kenny Dorham - much underrated. His playing with Jimmy Heath on his quartet album is sublime. 

Joe Pass

Grant Green - Idle Moments

Emily Remler - East to Wes, Firefly. Such a sad end to a brilliant musician. 

Jimmy Raney

George Benson - @smigeon totally with you on that era Benson! I can just about stomach his smooth jazz phase thanks to his playing (and singing)

Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life still hasn’t been beaten. 

Jaco Pastorius - Game changer!

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage, Headhunters

John Scofield - Still Warm made the penny drop with Sco, then there was no way back. His other fusion era stuff - Loud Jazz, Blue Matter. Great albums with Metheny, Bill Frisell etc. Hand Jive is a personal favourite. 

Holdsworth - pretty much anything. Particularly love his times with Chad Wackerman/Jimmy Johnson and Gary Novak/Dave Carpenter

Scott Henderson - Tribal Tech for the fusion stuff, Face First is brilliant. Early days with Chick Corea. 

Kurt Rosenwinkel

Brian Blade Fellowship

Wayne Krantz

Jonathan Kreisberg

Brecker - Pilgrimage is some final album

Impossible Gentlemen - the self titled album is brill, from one of our own, Mike Walker

Gretchen Parlato - Weak, The Lost and Found. Brilliant playing on Live in New York 

Ntjam Rosie - Elle was on heavy rotation a while back. 

Yellowjackets - especially the debut album

Brad Meldhau - great album with Pat Metheny

Gary Bartz - The Song of Loving Kindness from The Blues Chronicles is beautiful and fierce in equal measure. 

No doubt there are loads I’ve forgot so I’ll probably add to this list :smile:  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Redlester said:
    The two I play most are probably Art Pepper's Winter Moon and Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. For some Tele-Jazz, anything by Ed Bickert. And for something more modern, Matthew Halsall, probably When The World Was One.
    Winter Moon is a stunning record. 

I was listening to a Best Of Thelonius Monk this afternoon. What an incredible writer and player. 

Bloody hell, I just listened to Winter Moon. One track just sounds like the next and the string atrangements are literally copy pasted. Makes Diana Krall sound a bit bebop by comparison.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited July 2021
    Greatape said:

In small doses - Snarky Puppy, Cory Henry

This is a partial list.... 

#Wiz for Snarky Puppy
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    duotone said:
    I don’t listen to much jazz but when I do it’s usually Bill Evans. On his documentary one of the guys mentioned that in all the years, he never heard Bill play a wrong note.
    Love Bill Evans. I knew his name for a long time and his place in jazz history but had never listened to his own albums. Once I started I couldn't get enough of him. It became a journey, 'cos that led on to Scott LaFaro. Those two guys had incredible musical sympathy.

Brad said:
    Where to start! There are so many and for different reasons. Most of all that have been mentioned already. Off the top of my head…

Miles - never a wasted note. 

Coltrane - I think Giant Steps gets a bit of a bad rap actually. The rest of the album seems to get a little overlooked due to the title track. I love Bluetrane though, Lee Morgan and Curtis Fuller steal the show for me. 

Bill Evans - see Miles

Chet Baker - see Miles and Bill. 

Sonny Rollins/Sonny Stitt - their work on Dizzy Gillespie’s Eternal Triangle is fierce. 

Wes

Jim Hall

Kenny Dorham - much underrated. His playing with Jimmy Heath on his quartet album is sublime. 

Joe Pass

Grant Green - Idle Moments

Emily Remler - East to Wes, Firefly. Such a sad end to a brilliant musician. 

Jimmy Raney

George Benson - @smigeon totally with you on that era Benson! I can just about stomach his smooth jazz phase thanks to his playing (and singing)

Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life still hasn’t been beaten. 

Jaco Pastorius - Game changer!

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage, Headhunters

John Scofield - Still Warm made the penny drop with Sco, then there was no way back. His other fusion era stuff - Loud Jazz, Blue Matter. Great albums with Metheny, Bill Frisell etc. Hand Jive is a personal favourite. 

Holdsworth - pretty much anything. Particularly love his times with Chad Wackerman/Jimmy Johnson and Gary Novak/Dave Carpenter

Scott Henderson - Tribal Tech for the fusion stuff, Face First is brilliant. Early days with Chick Corea. 

Kurt Rosenwinkel

Brian Blade Fellowship

Wayne Krantz

Jonathan Kreisberg

Brecker - Pilgrimage is some final album

Impossible Gentlemen - the self titled album is brill, from one of our own, Mike Walker

Gretchen Parlato - Weak, The Lost and Found. Brilliant playing on Live in New York 

Ntjam Rosie - Elle was on heavy rotation a while back. 

Yellowjackets - especially the debut album

Brad Meldhau - great album with Pat Metheny

Gary Bartz - The Song of Loving Kindness from The Blues Chronicles is beautiful and fierce in equal measure. 

No doubt there are loads I’ve forgot so I’ll probably add to this list :smile:  

I Approve This Message.
  • I started making a huge list and then I thought, actually let’s focus on the UK. Usually these guys have a much lower profile compared to American jazz musicians (for a variety of compounding reasons) but their skill and originality is top-drawer and the pandemic has been disastrous for many musicians, especially those working in niche genres. 

These are off the top of my head and mostly band leaders rather than sidemen, so there are loads of names missing for sure.

UK, so go and see these guys play!

Guitar:
    Mike Walker
    Chris Montague
    Ant Law
    Alex Munk

Piano:
    Kit Downes
    Gwilym Simcock
    Django Bates
    Robert Mitchell
    Tom Crawley
    Liam Noble
    Nikki Illes
    Jason Rebello

Sax:
    Julian Arguilles 
    Mark Lockhart
    Jason Yarde
    Tim Garland
    Ian Ballamy
    James Allsopp
    Mike Chillingworth
    Shabaka Hutchings
    George Crowley

Trumpet:
    Henry Lowther
    James Copus
    Laura Jurd

Singers:
    Lauren Kinsella
    Emilia Martensson
    Norma Winstone
    Liane Carroll

Drums:
    Gary Husband
    Mark Sanders

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I’m a big fan of the bebop era, Charlie Parker and Sonny Stitt are two players I could listen to all day long, as well as Clifford Brown.
    On the piano I like Oscar Peterson and Bill Evans a lot.

Traditional jazz guitar always seems to miss something for me, even though I do like a lot of players, I just can’t listen to them for extended periods.
    I prefer those who mix it up with more guitaristic rock vocabulary like Guthrie Govan and Matteo Mancuso, this plays more to the strength of the instrument IMO.