What jazz do you like?

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2411
    Any other fans of Alice Coltrane? She did some stuff which mixes Indian devotional music and jazz which I find absolutely mesmerising.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    Two contemporary jazz guitarists I'm particularly enjoying:

Julian Lage
    Gilad Hekselman
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Stuckfast said:
    Any other fans of Alice Coltrane? She did some stuff which mixes Indian devotional music and jazz which I find absolutely mesmerising.
    Yes- some of this gets an occasional airing on Jazz Fm and it's alright. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 626
    Alice and Carlos

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    Stuckfast said:
    Yes. Definitely. Plus her early days as pure jazz trio stuff. Lovely. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I would say that, in general, I "don't like" jazz, but that would be fairly incorrect. I don't really like overly improvised stuff - bebop and so on - as I find it intensely irritating (as in, I am on edge) when the melody is somewhere in there but never actually present.

It's a very broad genre, and I have listened to some stuff and enjoyed it, but the stuff I don't like is probably what a lot of people mean when they refer to jazz - music that prizes virtuosity above all else, and is in time signatures that are very odd to the modern western ear. The twiddly stuff played by student trios in city centre bars, that sort of thing.
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 626
    Guitarists should know about Terje Rypdal.

• DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    'What Jazz do you like "
    My answer ......Anything that sounds like the original tune ....I tend to like mellow 'Dinner Jazz ' whether it's Guitar or Piano in the George Shearing / Erroll Garner style and I like the Hot Club Grappeli /Django type thing.....other than that ..........
    I don't tend to like anything Band based whether it's Dixieland or modern