Tokyo Olympics

What's Hot
Slightly surprised there isn't already a thread about this already.

I watched the opening ceremony today and found it quite moving.   The drones flying in formation and creating the globe was spectacular.

Loved the rings and lighting of the flame.

Looking forward to the speed climbing, BMX, skateboarding as well as the usual athletics and cycling.

Come on UK, "its Coming Home" etc

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The wife has decked the house out in red arses. I'm upstairs hiding my batty from the demolition crew.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1910
    I thought it was a bit sad really. No crowds make the games a non-starter for me. The other one is letting a transgender bloke into a women's event a step too far. The first woke games. How long before all the gold medal winners in the women's events are won by women who used to be blokes. They didn't like the use of performance enhancing drugs in sport so this just doesn't compute for me. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    edited July 2021
    Devil#20 said:
    I thought it was a bit sad really. No crowds make the games a non-starter for me. The other one is letting a transgender bloke into a women's event a step too far. The first woke games. How long before all the gold medal winners in the women's events are won by women who used to be blokes. They didn't like the use of performance enhancing drugs in sport so this just doesn't compute for me. 
    Yer, i haven't quite resolved that one myself.  I have no problem with trans people, but i can see a distinct advantage for a woman who used to have a penis doing weightlifting. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Devil#20 said:
    Yer, i haven't quite resolved that one myself.  I have no problem with trans people, but i can see a distinct advantage for a woman who used to have a penis doing weightlifting. 
    I also struggle with this one. I feel like the better solution might be to adapt the naming of the competition, so that as far as possible the biological playing field is equal.

But I don't know enough about it really. 
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    Devil#20 said:
    I wonder if all those Russian,East German men/women who were banned will be back.?
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Having attended the London Olympics on Super Saturday ( day time not in the evening)  in the main stadium and experienced the cheering and support for Jessica Ennis, Usain Bolt  and pre murder charge that Oscar bloke, and pretty much all the athletes of any county, I can imaging that competing in an empty stadium will feel very different.  I do wonder if we will see less records broken simply because there is less cheering to egg them on.

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Am I just being hopelessly naive and literal about all of this, or shouldn't they just have shunted this forward to 2024, told the 2024 city they're up in 28, mandated the 28 lot to get set for 32, and so on...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Having attended the London Olympics on Super Saturday ( day time not in the evening)  in the main stadium and experienced the cheering and support for Jessica Ennis, Usain Bolt  and pre murder charge that Oscar bloke, and pretty much all the athletes of any county, I can imaging that competing in an empty stadium will feel very different.  I do wonder if we will see less records broken simply because there is less cheering to egg them on.
    Sport needs a live audience. Not dissimilar to music in that respect is it. 

Ian

Redlester said:
    Am I just being hopelessly naive and literal about all of this, or shouldn't they just have shunted this forward to 2024, told the 2024 city they're up in 28, mandated the 28 lot to get set for 32, and so on...

I've just realised that's horribly simplistic for all the poor sods who've trained their knackers and knockers off for their various sports, but then again I'm not a big Olympics fan, because they don't include my favourite sports. I'm a snooker, darts, shove ha'penny and tiddlywinks man, myself. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5373
    Redlester said:

The Olympics were cancelled during both World Wars - understandably - so there is a precedence which could have been applied to these games. There must be so much money/sponsorship/advertising/media etc involved now compared to 1944 that makes total cancellation near impossible. 
    edited July 2021
    DiscoStu said:
    Redlester said:

The Olympics were cancelled during both World Wars - understandably - so there is a precedence which could have been applied to these games. There must be so much money/sponsorship/advertising/media etc involved now compared to 1944 that makes total cancellation near impossible. 
    Exactly. It's all about the money and which corrupt officials can line their pockets from it. They don't want to wait. The Olympics has been corrupt for a very very long time. The main reason why it's still going ahead. With no crowds it's not worth bothering with. The athletes need a crowd to break records. It'll be the the worst Olympics ever. 

Ian

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    DiscoStu said:
    Redlester said:

I believe in Tokyo a number of the Olympic venues are scheduled to be converted into, or replaced by, housing developments, so even delaying by a year has been problematic.  They'd have cancelled rather than delay to 2024.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    I'm not normally bothered by sports but one of my ex students is in the boxing team.  His family live next door to me and have plastered the house with flags. 

Keep an eye out for Frazer Clarke
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    DiscoStu said:
    Redlester said:

But bear in mind that most of the potential competitors were otherwise engaged anyway during a world war, so it's not quite the same as just asking athletes to sit at home for another four years. 
  • HottubesHottubes Frets: 394
    If men are competing against woman then i am out. What a fuck up this world has become. Pathetic.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    Hottubes said:
    If men are competing against woman then i am out. 
    That's a shame.

What event/s were you competing in?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253

My nephew is working at the Olympics but all we’ve heard back from him so far is that he’s arrived safely and is trying to work out the digital toilet controls in his hotel room. Not quite sure if I want any updates or not…

The window of peak ability in some sports is pretty small so cancellation would have had a huge impact on some of the competitors - the thing they’ve trained their whole lives for being cancelled. So whilst it is probably driven more by the money it is good that they have a chance to compete even in restricted circumstances. 

I saw a tiny bit of the ceremony and fair do to the Japanese that they haven’t ignored the pandemic and put on something that might have been seen as inappropriate. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    There's no real need for a lot of the events to take place. You could mark out a 100m length for example and get your mate to time you over the distance. Similar to other timed or distance events. Javelin, shot put, long jump, 1500m etc. Then post your result into the Olympic committee and the best time/distance wins the gold. Easy. 

Ian

• HottubesHottubes Frets: 394
    TTony said:
    Hottubes said:
    If men are competing against woman then i am out. 
    That's a shame.

What event/s were you competing in?

You're just upset i beat you. ;)
    I realise my earlier comment about postponement was made from a purely administrative point of view. 

The comments about showing understanding to the athletes and then what becomes of the buildings (housing) are well made. 

I guess it just goes to show just how complex the Olympics have become, that a swift 'pivot' to alternative arrangements can't be made. 

I still don't like the Olympics very much, but I might try and watch some skateboarding. That sounds fun.