High E issues - PRS S2 Studio

What's Hot
ChéChé Frets: 304
Got a new PRS Studio delivered today and have noticed an issue with the the high e. It’s choked and lacks sustain and tone acoustical and through an amp. I’ve read of similar issues with this model so I’m wondering if I should send it back or have a luthier look at it. 

Anyone have any experience with these?

kind Regards,
Shaun
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Everywhere all the time, just the open string, just some fretted notes, only when bending etc?

If it's everywhere, the first thing to do is try a new string, and while it's off, make sure the groove in the bridge is clean.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChéChé Frets: 304
    Sorry, should have added more info. 

It’s the whole string, certain frets more so. I’m still on the fence about keeping it, I can restring the guitar and still send it back within 14 days can’t I? Sounds strange but I’ve never needed to restring a brand new guitar that I’ve ordered. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Shift happens - especially in the high temperatures and humidity of recent weeks.

Your guitar could have left the United States, set up to perfection, only for things to change in transit. Some UK retailers give all stock a thorough inspection prior to shipping. Others simply shift boxes.

Remote diagnosis might be aided by either photographs of the vibrato bridge from angles that show the saddles and from front edge on, to show how the six pivot screws are adjusted. Feeler gauge measurements of the action above the frets might also help.
    Be seeing you.
    Ché said:

It’s the whole string, certain frets more so. I’m still on the fence about keeping it, I can restring the guitar and still send it back within 14 days can’t I? Sounds strange but I’ve never needed to restring a brand new guitar that I’ve ordered. 
    Don't restring the guitar, change just the top E string.

Otherwise you will not know for sure if it's just a string issue or whether there's something more wrong with it.

Yes, you can replace a string without invalidating any kind of warranty or return policy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks so much guys!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I recently did a return on a guitar with an obvious fault. On reading through the returns policy things like missing plastic film from scratch plates, back plates, etc were among the reasons for which they could refuse a return. Whilst I hadn’t removed any of this, the policy seemed heavily skewed against the customer. Actually getting the dealer to accept there was a problem (in this case a bridge that was off-centre) wasn’t as straight-forward as I had imagined. Lots of talk about ‘within manufacturer’s tolerances’ and other such bollocks.

My view is that you should return the instrument ASAP and get your money back. The longer you leave it and the more you try to correct things yourself, the more wriggle room the dealer has. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Personally I would take it to a decent tech and get them to identify the issue and cost to rectify. 

Then contact the company you bought it from and give them the ultimatum of either covering the cost of the repair or accepting a return. 

With distance selling regulations you’re entitled to return the guitar for any reason, and most companies will want to avoid that if at all possible. 
    the policy seemed heavily skewed against the customer. Actually getting the dealer to accept there was a problem (in this case a bridge that was off-centre) wasn’t as straight-forward as I had imagined.
    In fairness to retailers, once the protective plastic film is removed, it is difficult to differentiate between where delivery condition ends and user wear and tear begins.

A good retailer will accept returns on obvious manufacturing defects. They can not be held responsible for user-inflicted problems. Thus, removing the film is tacit acceptance of the goods (in the sense that it becomes impossible for the customer to prove that he/she did not cause the problem).

String choking due to a twisted neck is grounds for return and refund/replacement. String choking because a bridge saddle is sitting lower than expected is a simple matter for adjustment. (Ask a Jaguar or Jazzmaster owner!)
    Be seeing you.

My view is that you should return the instrument ASAP and get your money back. The longer you leave it and the more you try to correct things yourself, the more wriggle room the dealer has. 
    With respect, and at the risk of starting another argument, *we don't even know if the guitar is faulty*. Until you've at least changed the string which is a possible cause and found out that it isn't the problem, why subject the guitar to the risk of another courier journey, and the retailer to unnecessary cost?

In my opinion there's now far too much trigger-happy use of returns policies and consumer rights over things that with just a tiny amount of input from the buyer can be either easily fixed, or if not you can then at least say for sure that you do have proper grounds for a return.

A new string costs about £1. If it doesn't fix it, then by all means send it back.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    It might be a good idea for nervous owners to take a suspect guitar to a local tech.

The solution to the issue might be trivial and sorted out on the spot. Worse case scenario, the guitar is faulty but a second opinion from a reputable tech reinforces the customer claim.
    Be seeing you.
    edited July 2021
    So I've tried a new guitar string, i couldn't actualy get the old string out as the ball end seemed to be stuck at the point it rests. Thought this might have been a reason there was issues with it. Eventually got it dislodged and changed the string.

Although it was slightly better some frets still felt dead, especially the 5th to the 7th with the 8th fret being especially bad. There appeared to be a plinky banjo/sitar like overtone to the notes and the string overall sounded quieter and less harmonically rich than the B above it. I raised the action a bit which helped with the buzz but still sounds plinky and lifeless.

It may be that I've used a string from a set of Pyramid's (ran out of D'addario's and was the only strings I had) while the S2 is strung with PRS strings (I think) which feel smooth and sound very full in comparison. Kinda like the rest of the gutiar sounds like a grand piano while the high e sounds like a plastic toy piano. I might hang fire and pick up a high e from D'addario just to make sure it's definitely not the string.

The guitar doesn't play in tune well and definitely needs intonating so I'm feeling I'll need to take it to a tech. Though I appreciate the nature of guitars I feel a bit torn paying for a tech to look at a £1k+ brand new guitar, second hand wouild be a different story. My expectations are probably a bit high knowing it's an american made PRS and as was discussed, I'm probably the first one to take it out of the case since it was shipped. Saying that, all the core models (from Peach) I've ordered have come boxed and had no isses what so ever (which may say more about Peach and/or the sale of Core PRS models)

Not to be all doom and gloom, the neck is wonderfully comfortable and I love the rounded edges and satin feel. The lack of hard wood top on the S2 line gives way to a body carve similar to an SG which is right up my street. I always hated PRS guitars as my picking hand leans on the body carve of the core models to the point of numbness and pain in my hand.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3300
    Send it back ask for another. 
    Ché said:
    i couldn't actualy get the old string out as the ball end seemed to be stuck at the point it rests.
    Was there any corrosion on the ball end or the twisted portion near the end of the string?

Ché said:
    There appeared to be a plinky banjo/sitar like overtone to the notes.
    This is the result of something between the nut and the bridge saddle node points.

The six knife edges in the vibrato bridge baseplate are supposed to ride in machine v notches in the six screws. If these are not adjusted correctly, weird things can happen but "sitar/neeoing" overtones are not usually one of them.

At the nut end, a poorly cut or dressed slot can caused tonal and intonation issues.

Between the two nodes lie the pickups. If the single coil neck and centre pickups are adjusted too close to the strings, their magnetic field can interfere with the excursion of the strings.

I have the same pickups in an S2 Vela. There is meant to be a volume difference between the humbucker and the single coil(s).

Impossible to comment any further without seeing photographs of how the vibrato bridge is set up, the condition of the nut slots and the height adjustment of all three pickups.
    Be seeing you.
    No corrosion on the ball end I could see. After raising the action the sitar sound only happens on the 7th fret, feels like the string has no life at all. 

The volume difference is between the e string and the rest of the strings, not between the different pick up configs. 

I did have to reduce the pickup height because the guitar sounded too “loud” and hi fi than what I was used to and comfortable with. It just sounded… wrong, hard to explain! I tried to make the treble side higher but it didn’t help with the high e issue. 
    Ché said:
    I tried to make the treble side higher but it didn’t help with the high e issue. 
    Raising the treble side of the neck or centre pickup would increase magnetic pull on the string.

Assuming that the problem is mechanical, remote diagnosis will require photographs and/or feeler gauge measurements. Guesswork and/or telepathy from hundreds of miles away ain't gonna solve it. I'm out.
    Be seeing you.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3491
    Tech, def. Possibly a high fret? 
    Yeah, it's very strange. The store has agreed to take it back and have their tech look at it and return it to me, so that's a positive. Given the issue is just with a single string and mainly on a specific part of the fretboard has me thinking it's a fret issue, I'll see what they say. Appreciate everyone's insight into this!
  • rossirossi Frets: 1699
    When I first try out or get a guitar I run up the fret board on every fret to see it all rings out and no high frets .I do it on all strings .Some times its just a  minor bridge adjustment ,I have even done it in the store .
    Yes, have to say that you've tried everything reasonable and at this point a return is the best option.