Attenuator Amp Impedance Mismatch

What's Hot
collins180collins180 Frets: 3
Hi all

Hope someone can help me (and my neighbours !) with this one. Picked up a Blackstar Artisan 15 and love it, but Lord is it loud !!! I have an Iron Man mini which I’ve used with other amps but it’s rated for 8 ohms and the Artisan is 16 ohms. From what I’ve read, the IM Mini will work with a 16 ohm rig, but it was designed for and works best at 8 ohms. 

I’ve got a couple of spare 8 ohm speakers - if I fitted one into the cab and switched the impedance selector to 8 ohm, would that set up then work properly with the IM Mini ? I’m clueless when it comes to electronics so apologies if that was a stupid question. Or does the impedance selector only work when the output jacks are used ? If so, could I take a line out of one of them into an 8 ohm speaker (internal) placed in the cab ?

If neither of these plans works, does anyone have any other ideas ? Don’t want to have to buy another attenuator, but don’t want a noise abatement notice either !!!

Any help much appreciated 

Cheers

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    Just set the amp to 8 ohms. The amp sees the attenuator as the load, not the speaker - once you get below a couple of clicks down the speaker impedance is irrelevant, so it’s fine to connect the 16-ohm speaker to the 8-ohm attenuator.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hurray !! My whole street says thank you  !
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom