Guitar deal going wrong....Ian Elson Guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    parting it may help, or may not be worth the extra effort depending on the hardware.
    I would do it even if it isn't worth the effort, because it removes the possibility of comeback. If you sell it as a complete guitar, someone may buy it as such and then complain and demand a refund when they find it isn't properly playable. If you sell it as parts, then no-one can buy it without expecting to have to do work to it, or can claim they thought it was functional as it stood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    @ICBM  ;That's a good point.. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    Well after the last thread he shut he fb page down claiming he was hacked etc (complete bullshit) but he’s back with a new page

https://m.facebook.com/IanElsonElectricGuitars/

He has read stuff on this forum before so you never know…

If anyone does post a link to this or the other thread on his fb you prolly will get banned from posting there :)

im about to find out if that happens :)

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    @spark240 im sorry to hear that this has happened. And I know a few chaps personally who have had run ins with this guy. 

Unfortunately this will end up with you losing a few hundred quid. 

My advice to you is to remove anything saleable from the guitar and pop it on reverb or eBay. Based on the condition and standard of the body and neck you could sell them with full disclosure as to what happened during this “deal”. Or, skip them. 

As for Ian Elson’s reputation… I’d let the guitar community handle everything else. You have been duped, the best thing is to move on and forget about it/him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    Raffle it on here, the winner gets to burn it and post the video on any future Ian Elson threads.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4085
    Looking at his FB page he’s still turning them out , hope they are better than the last lot 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    edited July 2021
    @spark240 it might be worth amending the thread title to include Ian Elson's name so that it's more likely to come up in any Google searches for him.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    If you want to get an indication of the quality of his builds, then click on the link to his webpage. If his guitars compare to the quality and readability of his website, then he's in trouble! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Cols said:
    I have to ask, how does the guitar play?  Because the latest thread on one of his axes indicates “Borderline unplayable”.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/207820/ian-elson-guitars-avoid/p1
    Its not my style...it looked the part as sort of Gibson DC style with Humbuckers, however in reality as already stated the quality suffers here and there, some of it just minor points...I guess it could be made into something quite payable with a little work.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    Have you got a log-burner?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    @spark240 im sorry to hear that this has happened. And I know a few chaps personally who have had run ins with this guy. 

My advice to you is to remove anything saleable from the guitar and pop it on reverb or eBay. Based on the condition and standard of the body and neck you could sell them with full disclosure as to what happened during this “deal”. Or, skip them. 

As for Ian Elson’s reputation… I’d let the guitar community handle everything else. You have been duped, the best thing is to move on and forget about it/him.
    Indeed...though Im not fussed about the money, I can afford the cash if he can afford the reputation, Its just a matter of doing the right thing.  

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11813
    In my experience people who repeatedly scams people don't do the right thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    tFB Trader
    spark240 said:

Indeed...though Im not fussed about the money, I can afford the cash if he can afford the reputation, Its just a matter of doing the right thing.  
    But he won’t. He doesn’t care about you or his reputation. He has your money and that is all that matters to him.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18385
    mrkb said:
    Raffle it on here, the winner gets to burn it and post the video on any future Ian Elson threads.
    That really isn't a bad idea, I'd buy a ticket. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Obviously a big generalisation, but anyone I've ever offered to help out with money that has actually taken it has not given me it back. They've not even seemed grateful to be honest, and more often than not they've come and asked for more money with some overly complex and clearly false explanation.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    spark240 said:

But he won’t. He doesn’t care about you or his reputation. He has your money and that is all that matters to him.
    And in fairness the only reputation he has is shit!… it can’t really be tarnished any further!…
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    DefaultM said:
    Obviously a big generalisation, but anyone I've ever offered to help out with money that has actually taken it has not given me it back. They've not even seemed grateful to be honest, and more often than not they've come and asked for more money with some overly complex and clearly false explanation.
    I’ve had the same experience and I don’t lend people money anymore. If they’re family or a close friend I’d just give it to them with no expectations or request to repay it. I got stung by my first brother in law asking to borrow money to pay his monthly mortgage bill. We didn’t have a lot of money at the time but I didn’t want to see him or his kids stressed out or possibly homeless either. He never offered to pay it back when he was more financially secure and then got really arsey when I finally asked him for it months later. He then virtually flung the money at us with not even so much as a thank you. I swore I’d never do it again. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 896
    Sorry to hear about this. You seem like a decent guy, he is only ever going to be a low level swindler. Don't let it bring you down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    His Facebook relaunch seems to be going well, judging by the comments... :naughty: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    edited July 2021
    boogieman said:
    DefaultM said:
    I’ve had the same experience and I don’t lend people money anymore. If they’re family or a close friend I’d just give it to them with no expectations or request to repay it. I got stung by my first brother in law asking to borrow money to pay his monthly mortgage bill. We didn’t have a lot of money at the time but I didn’t want to see him or his kids stressed out or possibly homeless either. He never offered to pay it back when he was more financially secure and then got really arsey when I finally asked him for it months later. He then virtually flung the money at us with not even so much as a thank you. I swore I’d never do it again. 
    Yeah the last time someone asked me if they could borrow £100, I said no but here's £10 and you don't have to give me it back. Never heard from them again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom