Home isolation is bloody annoying.

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 20538
Wife tested positive for Covid 7 days ago, so we have all been isolating since. It's hard work having 5 of us stuck in the house, and my job is much harder working in the living room with an underpowered home computer.

I read somewhere that a lot of people are ignoring isolation, and I can see why. My wife has had 2 jabs and has no symptoms at all. I've had 2 jabs. Older kids have had 1. I've done a couple of LFTs over the week - still negative. It seems so overkill to all be tied to the house in this way for this amount of time.

I also read that of all the vast amount of school kids that have been told to isolate due to someone in their class getting Covid, only 1.5% go on to get the disease. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 4760
    Had to self-isolate because my young lad had covid, just escaping today having avoided contracting it (wife and I both double-jabbed).

I've found it annoying but it REALLY seems to get to the wife, she really needs to calm down about.. everything!

Best of luck escaping, it really does feel weird not being able to leave your house at all, putting the bin out feels like a fun adventure!
    We should all probably bear in mind more when posting on here (and I don't exclude myself from this) that the guitar world is very small, the Fretboard is quite well known, and it is not uncommon at all for the subjects of our posts to read them...
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 4724
    The government have made a total mess of this. Whilst I'm against coercing people to be vaccinated, it's totally sensible to me that if you've been double jabbed, certain things, like isolation, should be different. If you've been double jabbed, isolating because someone else has the illness is mad.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1075
    I'm pinged and isolating.  I reckon from hour long train ride each in and out of London on Friday.  Got a PCR kit just arrived.  More annoying than it is worrying.  I've been double Pfizered since early May, come the 16th August I wouldn't have to isolate. 
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 352
    edited July 26
    I'm pinged and isolating.  I reckon from hour long train ride each in and out of London on Friday.  Got a PCR kit just arrived.  More annoying than it is worrying.  I've been double Pfizered since early May, come the 16th August I wouldn't have to isolate. 
    I got pinged, but didn’t isolate. 
    Instead I took daily lateral flow tests. I was double jabbed so thought I was more likely not to get it that get it.

I wonder how many people actually do catch it fro. The actual pinging incident? 

• springheadspringhead Frets: 1075
    I don't think I've got it but have just taken and posted a PCR test.  I can't avoid isolating given work situation. 

Friend of mine, double jabbed, caught it from his daughter and felt rough.  Positive PCR but negative lateral flow.  Being of a medical persuasion he hacked up a load of goo from deep in his throat, spat on a piece of paper, dipped a lateral flow swab in that and it came up positive!  From the next day on he could do lateral flows the normal way and they all came back positive for a week.   I guess that implies the PCR is more sensitive and the infection, covid cells or whatever had to grow more before the lateral flow could detect it.

Interestingly his wife, also double jabbed, was fine.  Tested negative.  
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 2284
    I’m on day 10. Tomorrow will hopefully be wonderful. 

• axisusaxisus Frets: 20538
    grungebob said:
    I’m on day 10. Tomorrow will hopefully be wonderful. 

I should be set free tomorrow! Dreading doing a LFT ....
    Good luck to us. 
    In the words of the late great Kurt Cobain “I’m a negative creep , I’m a negative creep, I’m a negative creep can leave home”
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 9629
    There must be room for intelligent assessment of a ping:
    If you were wearing a FFP3 mask for example, or left your phone in a restaurant, or sat in a drive-thru movie near another car.
    Or of course, if you were at home, but have thin walls and your neighbour got infected, and charges their phone near where you charge yours
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 20538
    Gym, swim, then work in the office! 

Back in the life of luxury!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 7798
    If you were wearing a FFP3 mask for example, or left your phone in a restaurant, or sat in a drive-thru movie near another car.
    Or of course, if you were at home, but have thin walls and your neighbour got infected, and charges their phone near where you charge yours

Surely it's simpler just to delete the app.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 1056
    What app?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 9629
    crunchman said:

Surely it's simpler just to delete the app.
    a lot of people do, or just switch off the tracking
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3108
    edited July 30
    Rob1742 said:

5 out of 10 people where my other half works - one person caused 10 pings, and half of them went on to catch it and test positive. Scary thing is they all do lateral flow every day and it didn't pick up on the infected person.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 1906
    PC_Dave said:
    Rob1742 said:

5 out of 10 people where my other half works - one person caused 10 pings, and half of them went on to catch it and test positive. Scary thing is they all do lateral flow every day and it didn't pick up on the infected person.
    It's well established that the lateral flow tests are absolute nonsense.  The FDA in the US have said "they should be thrown in the bin".  With question marks over the PCR tests' reliability and an admission about the fact that they can't differentiate between covid and flu, the whole testing arena is rather flawed to say the least.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2199
    thebreeze said:

It's well established that the lateral flow tests are absolute nonsense.  The FDA in the US have said "they should be thrown in the bin".  With question marks over the PCR tests' reliability and an admission about the fact that they can't differentiate between covid and flu, the whole testing arena is rather flawed to say the least.
    Lateral flow testing as it's being used in the UK (to reassure ourselves that an asymptomatic individual doesn't have Covid) is nonsense, though it doesn't mean it's a bad test. It's pretty good at detecting Covid in symptomatic individuals in the first 48 hours of symptoms (up to about 85% sensitive, which is actually very good for a cheap and simple test).

What you've said about PCR testing is entirely wrong though.
    PCR testing can (and does) easily distinguish between Covid and flu.

The reason the PCR test is being changed is because we're coming into flu season, so it makes sense to have a test that will give you an answer for both Covid and flu on a single test.

Currently, if you run a Covid PCR on a person with flu, it'll tell you "it's not Covid", which is useful information, but not as useful as the test saying it's flu.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 7798
    The problem with the PCR test is that it can still come up positive for a few weeks after someone has had it, and is no longer infectious.  When the ONS is saying that 1 in 65 people has it, I don't entirely trust their figures.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2199
    I'd be hopeful that a sensible solution can be found to that.

There's evidence that the CT value of the PCR test correlates strongly with how transmissible the virus is, so I think it's very likely that in the near future we'll be using that information to guide whether isolation is necessary.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • SnapSnap Frets: 4901
    crunchman said:
    The problem with the PCR test is that it can still come up positive for a few weeks after someone has had it, and is no longer infectious.  When the ONS is saying that 1 in 65 people has it, I don't entirely trust their figures.
    Yes, and the government actually advise anyone who's recovered from COVID to use a lateral flow as it is less sensitive!!