SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Traynor YGM-3 1974

What's Hot
andymanandyman Frets: 58
edited November 2021 in Amps £
22W Canadian handwired take on the Fender Deluxe Reverb.
12" McKenzie speaker. The only modification is the addition of a presence knob in place of the bright switch to tame the treble.

I bought this off a friend, and really wanted to like it, but I go towards the doom end of the spectrum and this is better for cleans or mild overdrive. LOUD too. (still sounds good at low vols though).

The trem and reverb are the best I've ever played. Will be sad to see it go just for those alone
Comes with a footswitch for both.

£325. Based in London

SOLD

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    edited July 2021
    Will you ship? If so, I'd like dibs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Curious what you mean by "good master vol though" - this is not a master volume amp?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andymanandyman Frets: 58
    edited July 2021
    > Curious what you mean by "good master vol though" - this is not a master volume amp?
    Sorry - I was being sloppy and you're entirely right  - I meant with the volume control it sounds decent at low volumes. Not quite the same thing!

> Will you ship? If so, I'd like dibs. 
    Let me see if I can dig up a box. May be risky, but I'll try
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ta - does it work properly? Or does it need work?
    edited July 2021
    Not to my knowledge. It doesn't break up as much as I'd expect it to at noon, but I think that may just be the amp (plus, I was running it through an attenuator). Sounds gorgeous, but just not my thing. 
    The guy my friend bought it off of had it taken to a tech at the end of last year and looked over (sprayed the pots, etc.). The bass pot is a bit scratchy when being turned, but it all works ok.
    Great. Let me know if you can find a box. I assume it's pretty heavy. I have a YBA-1a, which weighs as much as my granny. 
    Loobs said:
    Great. Let me know if you can find a box. I assume it's pretty heavy. I have a YBA-1a, which weighs as much as my granny. 
    You should try the YGL-3a heads - unreal!

R.
    Find me one! 
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 453
    Loobs said:
    You should try the YGL-3a heads - unreal!

R.
    I had a ygl3 combo a few years back, was insanely heavy! Great amp though as are these Guitar Mates!
    They're all impossible to find nowadays though...
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    worth getting a pic of inside the chassis if you can, it will be obvious if it needs a recap job or not. even with the price of tech work, these outclass basically every other valve amp in terms of sheer value imo (a bit hyperbolic but ykwim)
  • vanlooy1vanlooy1 Frets: 453
    There’s a seller on eBay trying to sell one for £525 - not working! Bonkers
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    Great amps stock, but also great to work on if you want to do any tweaking. This guy seems to know what he's talking about. i did a few of his tweaks to mine to reduce bass and slow down the tremolo.
    Traynor YGM-3 Tweak & mod Part 1 repair maintenance - YouTube
    RickLucas said:
    Great amps stock, but also great to work on if you want to do any tweaking. This guy seems to know what he's talking about. i did a few of his tweaks to mine to reduce bass and slow down the tremolo.
    Traynor YGM-3 Tweak & mod Part 1 repair maintenance - YouTube
    I knew without looking that was Pat Furlan! He's a good guy, and knows his way around Traynor amps.

R.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 556
    Superb amp . . . I owned one and still weep when I remember that I sold it . . . Its basically a beautiful Handwired Deluxe Reverb, made in Canada . . . The original speaker in mine was not the best ( Alnico but too bright ! ! ) and I ended up swapping it out . . Cant remember what for ? ? ? Celestion I think ??? but the difference was immense . .  Cracker of an amp !
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

Still for sale.
    edited August 2021
    Another sale fell through, so still available
    Still here
  • Super8Super8 Frets: 16
    Crazy that you haven't sold it.... These are beautiful sounding amps, and your price is a bargain.

I have one, otherwise I'd take it. They maybe don't sell as quick because they aren't as well known or as pretty as Fenders but that can be sorted with a bit of effort,,,,here's mine after I gave it a tweedy makeover.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j0cq0uhi72WGpOrdZVHoXdNauC07-lqm/view?usp=sharing

I put a Cannabis Rex in there to tighten the bass up and tame the highs.  I also made a semi-open back for it to take away some of the bass (they have a really thumping bass). Did it years ago but I seem to recall that the badge is from a Ford Cortina!

They are often described as like a Fender Deluxe Reverb with a bit of Marshall/Vox/HiWatt thrown in (EL84s and massive Hammond transformers) - what's not to like?

I played with mine in a 9 piece heavy soul/funk band (with 3 noisy horn players) for years and it was always plenty loud enough, even though they are only rated at about 22 watts.

They have a slightly odd tone stack that can take a bit of getting used to. If you crank both bass and volume (with the bright switch off) you get a nice edge-of-breakup tone as you turn up the volume. 

The bright switch is crazy, but I find for a lovely chimey clean sound I like to have it flicked on, then turn the treble way down to 2.5, and the bass on 3 - 4. Sounds odd but it works wonderfully. There's a lot of versatility in these amps once you work them out.

Good luck with your sale.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom