What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72210
    boogieman said:
    Just watched Apocalypse Now for the first time. Yeah, yeah I know  :). I've seen chunks of it but somehow never managed to see the complete thing. Rather good but man there's some weird shit going on. 

Next job, watch The Deer Hunter, which I've also never seen. 
    Careful… that's even more disturbing.

If you're going to do that, it's also worth seeing Casualties Of War, and possibly the Oliver Stone Vietnam trilogy (Platoon, Born On The Fourth Of July and Heaven & Earth) if you haven't already.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12345
    ICBM said:
    boogieman said:
    Just watched Apocalypse Now for the first time. Yeah, yeah I know  :). I've seen chunks of it but somehow never managed to see the complete thing. Rather good but man there's some weird shit going on. 

Next job, watch The Deer Hunter, which I've also never seen. 
    Careful… that's even more disturbing.

If you're going to do that, it's also worth seeing Casualties Of War, and possibly the Oliver Stone Vietnam trilogy (Platoon, Born On The Fourth Of July and Heaven & Earth) if you haven't already.
    Yeah I heard Deer Hunter isn't pleasant viewing. I haven't heard of Heaven and Earth, will have to investigate that one, thanks.  ;)
  • Trainspotting 2.

Way better than I expected , perhaps because I've seen the first one so many times I felt the 2 stories worked really well together.  It's not mushy and it's good to see the main characters haven't mellowed at all in the intervening 20 years.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    ennspek said:
    La La Land.
    I'm slightly conflicted about this.
    I knew literally nothing about it when I went in so the opening number was a bit of a shock!
    Firstly I think it's important musicals exist and do well if good. I can't remember the last time I saw a musical that wasn't animated.
    I'm many ways (in fact in most ways) it was superb. 
    It really is a big Hollywood studio musical from the golden years. The ways the actors move, talk, dance, sing, the lighting and even the quality of the colour was fantastic with that in mind.
    It was emotional and cleverly mixed old type standards with thoroughly modern twist.
    The leads were great.
    My only problem, and I think it is a big one for a musical, is that I don't think the songs were great. The instrumental stuff was fantastic but the vocal numbers, not so much. If I'm being charitable they would grow on you but walking out of the cinema I couldn't remember a thing.
    8.236/10
    I read somewhere that if they had cast someone like Anna Kendricks in it, she would have nailed every single song in that out of the park.

But I think that's the point, the point that although these people are singing their feelings, a musical, they are not like the leagues of professionals, so the slightly reserved and understated singing, and dancing suits the movie.

By old musical standards, only the opening number is the one that is big, the rest are much smaller and more intimate. 

As for the music, I really like it, songs wise City of Stars is the one I keep humming but the one theme I come out with wanting to learn is their theme tune on that piano.  So they must have done something right.

I've seen this 4 times now, just love it.
    The thing is I didn't think the performance was the problem, they were great. I just felt the material lacked that real top quality edge if that makes sense.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Green Room - punk band gets taken hostage by Nazis led by Patrick Stewart after a gig. Wasn't really that good tbh.

Bone Tomahawk - watched this straight afterwards. Bloody loved it. Mix of Coen Brothers, wild west and horror. One scene in particular made me wince.
  • derndern Frets: 357
    Trainspotting 2.

Way better than I expected , perhaps because I've seen the first one so many times I felt the 2 stories worked really well together.  It's not mushy and it's good to see the main characters haven't mellowed at all in the intervening 20 years.
    Totally agree. Had very high expectations and was blown away. Loved it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22689
    Dopesick said:
    Green Room - punk band gets taken hostage by Nazis led by Patrick Stewart after a gig. Wasn't really that good tbh.

Bone Tomahawk - watched this straight afterwards. Bloody loved it. Mix of Coen Brothers, wild west and horror. One scene in particular made me wince.
    I preferred Green Room, Bone Tomahawk is a bit talky and it takes too long for anything to happen.  But both good films.
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    Just watched Caddyshack....again for the umpteenth time, It's one of those films I never get tired of watching.  LOLOL. It always cracks me up. Judge Smails character is funny as hell. =)
    Caddyshack Poster
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2545
    dern said:
    Trainspotting 2.

Totally agree. Had very high expectations and was blown away. Loved it.
    Same here. Saw it on Friday, just had to see it as I am a huge fan of the original. Loved it.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3875
    Edge of tomorrow.

I felt like a kid watching this, loved every minute of it and Emily Blunt is gorgeous.

10/10 from me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Went to se La La Land last night, what a treat! Absolutely loved it, several nods to Casablanca and the music is great throughout, as are the performances. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22689
    247 degrees F.  Horror (using the term very loosely) about several idiots who get accidentally locked in a sauna.  I can honestly say it's one of the worst, most boring films I've ever seen.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    That Film 4 on Weds with Robert Redford - 'All is Lost' - 90mins of no dialogue whatsoever! Good watch though!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Kind of a classic story line, but great atmosphere, some good songs too!

I loved it.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited February 2017
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Dear me.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6118
    tFB Trader
    Dallas buyers club, surprised me really. I thought the acting was first class and caused me to have real empathy with the characters.

SICARIO, dark AND REALLY enjoyable
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Lego Batman today  =)
    View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9654
    edited February 2017
    Philadelphia - Bloody brilliant! I saw it when it first came out in 1993 and not only has it stood the test of time, it's actually matured with age. Seeing it again from the viewpoint of twenty-something years later makes you realise how far we've come. 10/10 from me.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12345
    Divergent. Its free on Prime so I thought I'd give it a go. Not bad: basically Hunger Games reconfigured. Too long though.