What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• The Lego Batman Movie

Absolutely brilliant. Understands the source material considerably better than Zak Snyder...

"Who pays his taxes? NOT BATMAN!"
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited February 2017
    Well behind the times, watched Legend, Based on The Krays, really enjoyed it, in particular Tom Hardys performance of both the Kray twins.......

Lion, mmmmmm, clever that the first 1/2 hour or so, the dialogue is in Indian, but also tedious......middle was a bit long, but I got a bit moist eyed at the appropriate moment, much to the amusement of Mrs nb57......fecking psycopath!
    Based on a true story....

Looking forward to
    The Wall
    and John Wick 2
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Just watched Manchester by the Sea. Jesus Christ. Right in the feels. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Arrival.  Just a stunning film, the deepest sci-fi flick I've seen in years.
    Trouble With the Curve,  I like baseball films and this doesn't disappoint. 
    Kill Command. A lower budget sci-fi military film which punches well above its weight. Really enjoyed it.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Flicking through the movies on amazon prime last night we gave "Out of Nothing" a try.

Docu type thing following some big beared american guys building custom motorbikes to race at Bonneville.

Utterly brilliant craftsman and mechanics, full of heart ache and elation.

http://designingsound.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Nosferatu.jpg

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Lion: 7 out of 10.
    I felt my emotions being manipulated, but that is not a crime.

Moonlight:
    I finally got to the end *. Tough to watch. 6 out of 10.

* I am with Sporky. If you don't make it to the end of a movie....I would prefer to know.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited February 2017
    I was channel-hopping fairly late last night and ended up on London Live, which I never normally watch.  A film had just started so I gave it a go....

Intimate Games (1976).  Crikey.  Best described, I suppose, as a British sex comedy, although it wasn't really a comedy, just a series of nudie scenes and "frank" conversations, tied together by a very thin plot about a college professor giving his students an assignment to investigate sexual fantasies.  

A few familiar faces - George Baker, Ian Hendry, Peter Blake, Hugh Lloyd - but I didn't recognise most of the people actually taking their clothes off.  Not at all PC by today's standards, although weirdly quaint and almost innocent in other ways, and... interesting.  And I have to say it was nice to see some real bodies with no fake tits or plastic surgery.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    edited February 2017
    Arrival

Absolutely brilliant. Very subtle as "scifi" goes, but in a good way.

After that and Scicaro, I actually have some hope that Denis Villeneuve might do a good job with Blade Runner 2049 :o 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Arrival, over hyped,,I Just didn't get it.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290
    Trolls - For a musical, not bad at all. Very colourful artwork. The cloud is superb.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• paulnb57 said:
    Arrival, over hyped,,I Just didn't get it.....
    I have to agree with @stickyfiddle here - we've watched it last night. I had great expectations at first when it came out, then I've read some bad reviews on here. But - I loved it. Sure, it was tad long and Amy's performance is not up to everyone's taste but it was something new and fresh...
    Instead of bad aliens, Rockets and few heroes  saving good old Earth it was about the very basics - ability to communicate. Ive enioyed the feel and climate of the movie - for me it was strong 7/10
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I enjoyed Arrival. I like a film where I can't tell where it's going. Intriguing 'twist'.

Saw 'Jack the Giant killer', daft stuff but entertained me the wife and two of the sprogs for Saturday takeaway. I much preferred the original, although that was slightly ropey early stop-frame animated monsters. Probably liked partly through nostalgia, me and my bro absolutely loved it as kids. Haven't seen it for decades now, I think that the original print got damaged, the last time I saw it the monster killing scene had a chunk cut out of it.
  • Just saw the Hangover trilogy over the weekend. Bit late to the party i know, but thought they were all pretty good, and had the mrs and kids laughing too. 7/10

Also just finished watching Kill list. wow!!
    started watching with the wife and 2 eldest kids, they thought it was boring and nothing happening etc...(think they are allergic to british films)
    Bloody graphic violence. Loved it, good twist at the end aswell. 8/10
  • Interstellar....yeah get me, right up to date!

Been meaning to watch it for a while now but wanted to make sure I had the time for one sitting. Pretty good 'intelligent' sci-fi that you all probably saw years ago. 
  • Interstellar....yeah get me, right up to date!

Been meaning to watch it for a while now but wanted to make sure I had the time for one sitting. Pretty good 'intelligent' sci-fi that you all probably saw years ago. 
    I liked it but it gets a fair amount of hate on here mind.
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited February 2017
    Just watched Tinker,tailor,soldier,spy and wasted 2 hours of my life. I expected more, great acting but the meandering story bored the shit out of me. 3/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Paterson : Err I'm sure the faults my end but I didn't get it at all ... a bus driving poet with the the most boring life in history  ... I was praying for the end to come

Manchester by the sea : The best film I've seen this year so far I think 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Danny1969 said:
    Paterson : Err I'm sure the faults my end but I didn't get it at all ... a bus driving poet with the the most boring life in history  ... I was praying for the end to come

I nearly went to see that at the London Film Festival last year but didn't bother in the end.

I think you have to be in the right mood for Jim Jarmusch... when I read a plot synopsis of one of his films it always sounds boring, I never go out of my way to see them but I think I've enjoyed all the ones I've (eventually) watched.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Just watched Tinker,tailor,soldier,spy and wasted 2 hours of my life. I expected more, great acting but the meandering story bored the shit out of me. 3/10
    I was the opposite, I loved that film. A proper spy story not like all that action rubbish that gets churned out. Still, each to their own.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    David Brent: Life on the Road.

It's not great. Some funny moments but it's very short on ideas and it's a vehicle for his songwriting as much as it is a film. Chris Martin produced the music apparently and has a vocal cameo. Err, some nice guitar playing at times. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.