What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    edited May 2017
    GOTG2 yesterday - funnier than the original but a bit too long. Had me wishing for a TV series as an episode with just Drax alone would be fabulous 

Last weekend I saw Interstellar on film at the Prince Charles Theatre in Leicester Square. Fantastic. 

This morning: Doctor Strangelove. Excellent as ever. 

Tonight: Blazing Saddles because it's still my favourite film ever. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2

Not as much of a rip snorting space adventure as the first one, more of a character development one with action and gags thrown in. A lot more emotion based stuff in there and I was disappointed with the one that dies (in a good way) as I thought said character was pretty cool by the end. If you haven't seen the first one I'd recommend seeing it before Vol 2 as it will make sense but wont seem like much of a film on its own.
     I enjoyed it, the kids liked it and I'll happily head out to see Vol 3.
    Theres stuff in the end credits, I loved the Groot one but the final one is pants and I think its about time they stopped shoe horning him in.
    Did you recognise who he was talking to in the though?

Nope, not that much of a fanboi to be honest. Ive read up on who they are and they still mean nothing to me
    Watched GotG2 last night. Really enjoyed it. No real spoilers, but did anyone else notice the cameo in the end credits by someone starring in a future Marvel film?

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Watched Korean horror film The Wailing last night. Really good: story unfolds in unexpected ways and I found it genuinely creepy.
  • A simple plan - An oldie but never seen it before. Billy bob Thornton is great in it, and the storyline was excellent. 7.5/10

Burn after reading 
    - As above, (but without BB Thornton) George Clooney, John Malkovic and Bradley Pitts all engrossing characters interlinked in a fantastic story. Had me in stitches. 8/10

Split 
    - Really enjoyed it. The storlyline sets it apart from most. Full of tension from the first 2 minutes onwards and found it very enjoyable right from the start. 8/10

Kong:Skull island 
    - Was Ok. I did nod off halfway through, and my kids had to keep nudging me to stay awake. But what i did see was pretty good. 50% of it was 6/10!

Point break(1991) Fucking yes, yes, yes!
    Have not seen the remake, but its not going to be this good is it?! 9/10

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4665
    A simple plan - An oldie but never seen it before. Billy bob Thornton is great in it, and the storyline was excellent. 7.5/10

Burn after reading 
    - As above, (but without BB Thornton) George Clooney, John Malkovic and Bradley Pitts all engrossing characters interlinked in a fantastic story. Had me in stitches. 8/10

Split 
    - Really enjoyed it. The storlyline sets it apart from most. Full of tension from the first 2 minutes onwards and found it very enjoyable right from the start. 8/10

Kong:Skull island 
    - Was Ok. I did nod off halfway through, and my kids had to keep nudging me to stay awake. But what i did see was pretty good. 50% of it was 6/10!

Point break(1991) Fucking yes, yes, yes!
    Have not seen the remake, but its not going to be this good is it?! 9/10

please never make yourself endure the remake of Point Break its utter shite 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rocktronrocktron Frets: 806

The buzzwords in scientific circles these days are Robotics and Artificial Intelligence (AI).

I came across this Indian movie by accident when using a Search Engine for some keywords. There are some cultural differences, but if you ignore the silly comedy scenes, this has the basis of a very good movie. It has some exciting scenes for action movie fans, and Aishwarya Rai is watchable, anyway!!!

If you have a couple of hours to kill, then watch the Full Movie with English Subtitles on YouTube:   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G796gvPPwcA&t=13s

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    Mindhorn. 10 out of 10

Excellent Brit comedy that hits in all the right places if you like your comedy in the Alan Partridge vain. 

It genuinely is a good going romp.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26898
    Guardians of the Galaxy 2. 

Exactly what you'd expect. Not as good as the first, partly because it's not a surprise, but a good movie nonetheless. A solid 8/10
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12346
    Just back from a long trip and watched a load of films on the plane. Hacksaw Ridge, Split, Rogue One, Suicide Squad and Pulp Fiction. Hacksaw Ridge was the standout from the newer ones, Pulp Fiction was still the best of the bunch though.  
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I Daniel Blake

War on Everyone

Deepwater Horizon 4K UHD

The Revenant 4K UHD

All highly recommended the last two are made extra special in 4K format visually stunning films.
  • American beauty. 

This was brilliant. If you've not seen it, watch it. Cringey, uncomfortable, funny, dark, just brilliant. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    capo4th said:
    I Daniel Blake

Saw this last night and, as you'd expect of a Ken Loach movie, very thought provoking and a gritty Northern (well North East) piece.

I felt quite angry at the way the benefits system in the UK creates situations for folks needing help......just when they really need it, the system ties them up to evade what is essentially their responsibilities.

Not exactly feel good stuff.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Yes not advisable for a quiet night in with the wife
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1299
    Lego Batman the movie : some amusing moments and I do like the style, but otherwise devoid of anything of any substance.  5/10

F8 of the furious :  This is bad on 2f2f level!  And that is saying something.  The script is just cringe cringe cringe, from the mind of a 14 year old.  Horrible predictable cliched lines.  It's a terrible plot too.  It feels a bit like if Michael Bay had made Oceans 11 and Mission impossible and then rolled the franchises into one.
    Seriously this is bad on a Mark Wahlberg Transformers level.  Which makes it watchable but not for the right reasons!
    Redeeming features, it's an assault on the senses, and Charlize is ever-alluring as the villain.
    2/10
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Ended up watching The Damned United last night. Didn't really know what it was about beforehand and it seemed a reasonably obscure subject (for a film) once it started. But it's stuff I vaguely remember from my childhood,certainly that professional footballers in the seventies were lumpy men with bad hair kicking each other's shins on muddy pitches but also that both Derby and Notts Forest had their periods as highly successful teams which seems almost unbelievable now. I thought it was very good, well worth watching for anyone who likes an intelligent British film and/ or an interest in football. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ended up watching The Damned United last night. Didn't really know what it was about beforehand and it seemed a reasonably obscure subject (for a film) once it started. But it's stuff I vaguely remember from my childhood,certainly that professional footballers in the seventies were lumpy men with bad hair kicking each other's shins on muddy pitches but also that both Derby and Notts Forest had their periods as highly successful teams which seems almost unbelievable now. I thought it was very good, well worth watching for anyone who likes an intelligent British film and/ or an interest in football. 

I ended up watching this too - considering the subject matter I thought the cinematography was excellent. 

I couldn't believe some of the actual match footage - the 'tackling' was beyond brutal!!!!! 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Ended up watching The Damned United last night. Didn't really know what it was about beforehand and it seemed a reasonably obscure subject (for a film) once it started. But it's stuff I vaguely remember from my childhood,certainly that professional footballers in the seventies were lumpy men with bad hair kicking each other's shins on muddy pitches but also that both Derby and Notts Forest had their periods as highly successful teams which seems almost unbelievable now. I thought it was very good, well worth watching for anyone who likes an intelligent British film and/ or an interest in football. 

I ended up watching this too - considering the subject matter I thought the cinematography was excellent. 

I couldn't believe some of the actual match footage - the 'tackling' was beyond brutal!!!!! 

I particularly liked the Derby practice pitch sessions. I grew up near the Wolves practice ground ( well, the old one it's a housing estate now )and we used to wander on, randomly act as ball boys and shout the odd abusive comment to members of the first XI. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Ghost In The Shell. Live action one

Watched the anime  one a few times many moons ago, it's a classic bit not without its faults. 
    The live action one is OK, visually bang on but as a stand alone movie it's just OK. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26898
    Man Up

Simon Pegg without Edgar Wright and Nick Frost. It's fluff. Reasonably entertaining fluff in an English kind of way, but nothing special. 6/10

Safety Not Guaranteed 
    A movie about a weird guy making a time machine and reporters investigating him and it's all a bit weird. Aubrey Plaza is in it, as is the bloke from New Girl whose name I don't know. Again, entertaining fluff in an indie-american kinda way. 6.5/10
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1754
    As new season of Twin Peaks has just started I've decided to watch the first two again.

What a TV! Love it!