What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    TTBZ said:
    Watched that new Netflix original To The Bone last night. It was alright, a bit predictable and the British guy did my head in.
    My son watched this. I read a bit about it in the paper and was asking him about it. The suggestion was that it glamourises anorexia to some extent - there a love story, it's not actually representative of anorexia,etc. 

My kids watched Minions last night so I watched most of it. It has it's moments I guess but it's not the best. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24250
    Watched Contagion last night. Wasn't fully paying attention but fairly enjoyable. Hadn't read much about it so was surprised how many big names were in it. 
    I really liked that.

Good bit of drama rather than the usual Hollywood explosion approach.
  • TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    Watched Contagion last night. Wasn't fully paying attention but fairly enjoyable. Hadn't read much about it so was surprised how many big names were in it. 
    I really liked that.

Good bit of drama rather than the usual Hollywood explosion approach.
    Was going to watch that a few days ago (Amazon Prime yes?) but a film called The Wave popped up next to it so plumped for that. Norwegian subtitled disaster film. First half was 10/10; the suspense and build up was absolutely absurd. Bit Hollywood for the rest, still worth watching though.
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    Stuff I seen resently on Netflix...

The Circle.  Boring and shite. Just avoid this, it isn't even interestingly bad.

Captain Phillips.  Good, tense, convincing.  Just wish it hadn't been TOM HANKS, because I love Greengrass films for their semi-documentary style, but in this one I just couldn't see past TOM HANKS doing the TOM HANKS acting thing.  It's a great performance, no question, but I couldn't not notice the performance, which got in the way of being totally absorbed in the gritty realism, grrr.

The Illusionist.  Obvious and unconvincing, passingly redeemed by Paul Giamatti being fun to watch.  The opposite of Capt Phillips in that knowingly watching a performance is the only thing that drags you through the plot holes and ham.

• SRichSRich Frets: 762
    edited July 2017
    Sporky said:
    Heat.

I'd not seen it in probably 10 years. Even longer than I remember (Lady BMcH gave up at the 2 hour mark), but still a fantastic fillum. I really like that it's not just out-and-out action from start to finish, which makes the shooty bits have that much more impact. The massive volume differential helps too.

I do think it could be usefully trimmed to a bit under 3 hours though. It's very, very long.
    Watched "Heat" from '95 again last night - great ensemble cast and Al Pacino larger than life.

Now re-watching "Chinatown" from '74 again tonight. Jack Nicholson at the peak of his powers.

Sheer entertainment both.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Dunkirk. 

Superb performances from all, Kenneth Branagh's eyes deserved a credit all of their own.

Of course the aerial sequences were wonderful, the interleaving of the 3 stories/viewpoints was brilliantly done and a profoundly moving ending.

Top marks Mr Nolan.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    Suicide Squad
    In this case, all those people who said it was rubbish were absolutely right.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    Searching for Sugar Man - wanted to see this for ages then kinda forgot about it til it popped up on my netflix recommended things the other day. Such a great story and he does have a great voice. Seems like a nice humble man who didn't get the break he deserved.
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    boogieman said:
    TTBZ said:
    Fargo 

Erm. Good but a bit.. meh.. I think. Not sure I quite "get" the Coens. 
    Same here. I've never really seen anything by them that I thought was amazing, or at least lived up to the hype.
    Try Blood Simple. It's brilliant.  ;)
    Fargo is brilliant but try

The Hudsucker Proxy, True Grit or The Man Who Was Not There

Surely most on here have to love Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?

I still don't get The Big Leibowski

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    edited July 2017
    Double Post

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Dunkirk. 

Superb performances from all, Kenneth Branagh's eyes deserved a credit all of their own.

Of course the aerial sequences were wonderful, the interleaving of the 3 stories/viewpoints was brilliantly done and a profoundly moving ending.

Top marks Mr Nolan.
    I'm just back from watching it too. Agreed, superb stuff. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Re watched Men Who Stare at Goats. Hollywood stars do quirky stuff, I'm not sure it's essential viewing but I like it. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    T2 Trainspotting
    There were some genuinely clever shooting in this, but I was bored.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Currently watching, in dribs and drabs, "El Fin De ETA" on Netflix. Really rather good, an interesting insight into negotiating with terrorists.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    The Purge: Election Year
    I quite like the Purge movies, the idea is interesting although the films themselves aren't all that great.  Although the title of this one suggests they were cashing in on 2016 election fever, there's no Trump-like figure involved.  Maybe there should've been.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    The Deer Hunter

Never actually seen this until now. Truly epic. The first 'act' when we're getting to know all the main characters does tend to drag on a bit but the rest is brilliant.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Spiderman Homecoming.

I thought it was great!  Good blend of comedy and action.
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    dtr said:
    Captain Phillips.  Good, tense, convincing.  Just wish it hadn't been TOM HANKS, because I love Greengrass films for their semi-documentary style, but in this one I just couldn't see past TOM HANKS doing the TOM HANKS acting thing.  It's a great performance, no question, but I couldn't not notice the performance, which got in the way of being totally absorbed in the gritty realism, grrr.

Is that the one with Tom Hanks in it?

Beauty and the Beast. 7/10. I might have given it 8/10 if Emma Thompson hadn't appeared at the end. Great effects but I think the original cartoon version was better.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    Logan ...on Blu-Ray.

I bloody loved it! I thought the other Wolverine movies were very poor - but this one's a cracker. More of a character study than a typical superhero movie ...but it still contains some highly inventive SNIKT!ing action from good old Mr Bugger Grips...

War For The Planet Of The Apes ...at the pictures.

First time I've been to the cinema since Star Wars: Rogue One ...and it was well worth it. Admittedly, I was a fan of the first two, but it's still a very good movie that you don't actually need to know the back story to appreciate.

Absolutely Fabulous ...on Sky Cinema.

Made me want to kill myself.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Wakefield - Bryan Cranston is a man who hides in his attic and watches his family and neighbours.  Kind of like Hider In the House, with Gary Busey, only better!!  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom