What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1747
    ICBM said:
    Papillon - Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman. It's at least 30 years since I'd seen it, and MrsICBM never had.

Fantastic - even if the historical evidence probably means it's less of a 'true story' than Charrière made it out to be. McQueen in particular is outstanding, I think probably his best performance.

10/10, true classic.

Apparently there's a remake which came out last year. Why?
    Agreed - great film. I haven't seen it for years so will definitely refresh at some point. 

I couldn't believe when I read that they have remade it. I've checked it out and reviews aren't bad actually. Including this one:

"Shows the difference between a 1970s Hollywood vehicle starring Steve McQueen as a badass adonis and a 2017 cinematic landscape able to embrace nuance and compassion." The Film Stage.

I have no doubts that it will be any better than original but I am curious to check it out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    I had no idea of the Papillon remake either. The books are brilliant if you haven’t already read them (the sequel is called Banco). I suspect the stories have been tweaked and embellished along the way but they’re still great. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I couldn't believe when I read that they have remade it. I've checked it out and reviews aren't bad actually. Including this one:

"Shows the difference between a 1970s Hollywood vehicle starring Steve McQueen as a badass adonis and a 2017 cinematic landscape able to embrace nuance and compassion." The Film Stage.
    Have they even seen the original?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    Death of Stalin, now on Sky Store

fabulous, historical, hysterical, bit of a swear fest.
    if you know your Russian Revolution through to post WW2, then you will find it of interest.
    the characterisations are great if you know who the individuals involved, and then seeing Michael Palin and Paul Whitehouse playing them is great.

this was the first 15 film we let our 14 1/2 year old daughter watch. The swearing was a bit much, but important also to see how good men of the people who start out with great principles and morals, become part of the whole system to the point that they can do bad things.

• LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Coco - I've lost my mum and dad in the last few years. I blubbered. I thought it was a brilliant film. 

Baby Driver - A lot better than I expected. Really enjoyed it as a Friday night film with a few beers. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    ICBM said:
    Papillon - Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman. It's at least 30 years since I'd seen it, and MrsICBM never had.

Fantastic - even if the historical evidence probably means it's less of a 'true story' than Charrière made it out to be. McQueen in particular is outstanding, I think probably his best performance.

10/10, true classic.

Apparently there's a remake which came out last year. Why?
    I watched it a while ago, probably mentioned it on one of the previous 131 pages of this Discussion. I read the book about 30 years ago and notes that went with it said it was inaccurate, still great though.
    What surprised me about rewatching the film after many years is that it’s actually ( I wish I had a better word here) gritty and not the softer version you might have thought they’d put McQueen and Hoffman in. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    MrsTheWeary is watching Bad Moms which is why I’m messing about on here. Jeepers it is dire. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    What surprised me about rewatching the film after many years is that it’s actually ( I wish I had a better word here) gritty and not the softer version you might have thought they’d put McQueen and Hoffman in. 
    Exactly, hence wondering whether the reviewer mentioned above had even seen it. It’s very much not a typical Hollywood ‘star movie’.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    Bone Tomahawk. 
    Wait for it....wait for it...wait some more...bam! 
    Recomended if you like a slow burn Western with a twist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Michael Jackson Journey from Motown to Off the Wall on BBC4. 
    Bit like an extended Classic Album programme. Dragged at the end with all the talking heads saying how brilliant he was but some really interesting bits beforehand. 
    If anyone else watched it what the hell was Stevie Wonder playing? 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7069
    3 billboards.  Really good - sad, funny and eventually uplifting (a bit like the Forum classifieds). Has a real Fargo feel to it
  • Saw Black Panther the other day.

One of the better Marvel films I thought. I know a lot of people are looking it as potential for role models, I genuinely thought they did a better job of strong female action characters in it than most other modern action films.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Bone Tomahawk. 
    Have you seen the director's next film, Brawl in Cell Block 99?  There's a lot less waiting and a lot of bam...
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    edited March 2018
    Watched crazy heart with the missus because she loves country music, about Jeff Bridges who is an alcoholic failed country singer.  Missus hated it I really liked it,  its slow paced so her interest wained and I can't really say what I liked but it was good.  Aside from the film music was great, won oscar for best soundtrack in fact - so good I instantly learnt the finger picking pattern for The Weary Kind, main song.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    The big sick : it's about a asian guy trying to keep his parents happy by meeting suitable Pakistani girls for an arranged marriage but falling for an American girl .... who then gets sick. Enjoyable enough, Ray Romano is good as the dad

Get out : kind of strange film about a rich Neurosurgeon surgeon and his therapist wife who use black people for their own twisted means. Not great 

Having seen most of the films nominated for 2018 Oscars I'm surprised 3 Bill Boards didn't ace it, best film of the lot 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    Philly_Q said:
    Bone Tomahawk. 
    Have you seen the director's next film, Brawl in Cell Block 99?  There's a lot less waiting and a lot of bam...
    That’s on my list, though the wife - who normally likes horrors - was really grossed out by Bone Tomahawk so might need to be watched alone :)
  • Blade Runner 2049.

I wanted to like it. I really, really did.

But ultimately it felt like too much effort.

Yes, it was visually impressive with the isolated vistas, but it left me wanting. In some places, it reminded me of Richard Stanley’s ‘Hardware’ (in a good way of course).

The soundtrack was okay, but I had been spoiled by Vangelis.

I’ve been told “you didn’t get it” (I did), “it’s very deep” (it’s not) and that “it’s better than the original” (lolz!!!11one), but ultimately, it felt like it was lacking "something", and tried too hard.

And no, it doesn’t mean I should go and watch Fast & Furious 27 instead.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

…they might if they watch this.

I’m hoping Disney don’t buy the rights and give us a weekly Blade Runner show.

Having said that, the nerd in me bought the blu-ray steelbook so I’ll whack in the 3D disc to give it another go to see if it grows on me. Like fungus.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited March 2018
    Annihilation.
    Now on Netflix

Pretty good sci-fi yarn with the sort of plot you'd normally see in a video game as opposed to a film. i.e. More out-of-the-box than most. A couple of very gory scenes mixed within a beautiful but deadly environment. Science fiction for thinkers.
    Personally I really enjoyed it but I think it will divide opinions.

Way better that that POS Cloverfield excuse they aired back at the start of Feb.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Walk Like a Panther - 8/10
    British comedy about a group of aging former British wrestlers from the Big Daddy/Giant Haystacks era who put on a performance for a single evening for charity to help save their pub from a mean brewery man...

The wrestling villan is described thus "I hear he brought a shetland pony into the ring and punched it, just to upset the kids!" 

It's VERY British, it's very silly, and very fun.

Mom and Dad - ?/10
    I'm fairly sure this film was created something along the lines of this "Hi Nic(olas Cage) here is big bag of cocaine, we're going to film you after you've taken it." then they watched the footage, with some edits here and there, green-screened in some actors and called it a movie. 

The rough plot is, something happens, which makes parents want to attack their kids (described as a reversing of the parental instinct to protect your children at all costs). So Nicolas Cage being a dad gets to be all crazy - fully off the chain crazy in the way only he can do.

Brilliant fun, but a very strange film
    equalsql said:
    Annihilation.
    Now on Netflix

Pretty good sci-fi yarn with the sort of plot you'd normally see in a video game as opposed to a film. i.e. More out-of-the-box than most. A couple of very gory scenes mixed within a beautiful but deadly environment. Science fiction for thinkers.
    Personally I really enjoyed it but I think it will divide opinions.

Way better that that POS Cloverfield excuse they aired back at the start of Feb.
    Just watched Annihilation.  Definitely agree about Cloverfield. 

Not entirely sure sure what I think about Annihilation. Quite interesting but there’s the feeling it’s trying to look clever more than actually being clever. Or so clever it went over my head. 

Interesting that it was a primarily female cast. Could have been primarily men or mixed with very little adjustment, just an ensemble that happened to be mostly women and I guess that stands out because of it's relative rarity. Portman did a good job, Benedict Wong reprised his role as Prime from the IT Crowd which was very distracting ( to be fair that might be more in my head than on the screen), Gina Rodriguez as the paramedic seemed to have been given a stereotyped hot-headed Latino role ( hard not to think of Private Vasquez from Aliens, one of several echoes of that franchise) and, err, no one else stood out much. 

Set somewhere in the American South but all filmed in the UK.