What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Tomb Raider wasn’t as good as Black Panther...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Bronson (2008) - a hard film to enjoy, just because the title character is a vicious sociopath, but recommended for Tom Hardy's intense performance. Hardy is so good, he almost makes you like Charlie Bronson. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited March 2018
    @Moominpapa ;Agreed, Bronson is a great film in which Hardy does justice to the lead role......captured Bronsons violent mood swings very much like the real thing, in his more lucid moments he is quite a likeable rogue, with a cracking sense of humour, the other side of him, almost unbelievable....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    The Death Of Stalin

A seriously dark film even by black comedy standards - much blacker and less overtly funny than I expected given the director and cast, but better for it. And almost surreally, at least roughly historically accurate... even if some of the parts were possibly a bit overly caricatured.

8/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6793
    Watched Wayne’s World with my son last night, he didn’t think it was as funny as I did!!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    Watched Wayne’s World with my son last night, he didn’t think it was as funny as I did!!
    A bit dated and of its time?
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    I didn't really know what to think of Annihilation either. Was ok and I liked the shimmer "world" and weird soundtrack, but the whole thing felt a bit pointless at the end. Maybe I'm just not clever enough to get it.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Watched The Director's Cut of Leon last night. I hadn't watched it for a few years (in the current moral climate it hasn't had a tv airing in a while). Besson was seemingly obsessed by Natalie Portman's pubescent beauty, the camera giving constant glimpses of bits of Ms Portman. The sexually charged atmosphere is of her making - she relentlessly pursues Leon in an artless OTT fashion while he is a manchild with an interesting job who knows that she is off-limits. The final moment when he breaks down and confesses his love for her (before shoving her down an air shaft) is very moving (well, as moving as you are likely to get in a Besson film, where surface sheen and style are uppermost in his thinking).

I'm on a Besson binge atm, Big Blue is up next and Nikita is incoming.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    JezWynd said:
    Im on a Besson binge atm, Big Blue is up next and Nikita is incoming.
    All great, entertainment pictures. Enjoy.
    (Even Taxi).

I am covering everything directed by Woody Allen at the moment.
    Just watched The Snowman....odd, very odd, can't decide if I liked it or not....

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    The Commuter : Liam Neeson's latest "older guy but still bad ass" type movie. It's pretty bad but I was amused by a fight which used a Strat as a weapon until it was pretty well relic'ed 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Danny1969 said:
    The Commuter : Liam Neeson's latest "older guy but still bad ass" type movie. It's pretty bad but I was amused by a fight which used a Strat as a weapon until it was pretty well relic'ed 
    A genuine 1954 Strat owned by the Fender museum, presumably...

Nah, no-one would ever be stupid enough to loan a priceless antique guitar to a film production, and then someone fail to substitute a prop for it and have an actor smash it to pieces without realising what it was, would they.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    JezWynd said:
    Will you include his recent efforts, or stop at The Fifth Element?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    The Voices
    Blackly comic drama with Ryan Reynolds as a likeable but weird loner with a dark secret.

He Never Died
    Blackly comic drama with Henry Rollins as a likeable but weird loner with a dark secret.

Quite different from each other really, and I enjoyed both.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Danny1969 said:
    Is it just me or is Liam Neeson just making the same film over and over lately? 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    boogieman said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Is it just me or is Liam Neeson just making the same film over and over lately? 
    No it is indeed the same film, old tough guy doesn't want to get involved but has to and proves to still be a bad ass at 60 :)

The Disaster Artist : if you have heard of The Room - considered to be one of the worse films but a cult classic purely for it's awfulness then this a a film about the making of The Room. I really liked it. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • westwest Frets: 996
    JezWynd said:
    Watched The Director's Cut of Leon last night. I hadn't watched it for a few years (in the current moral climate it hasn't had a tv airing in a while). Besson was seemingly obsessed by Natalie Portman's pubescent beauty, the camera giving constant glimpses of bits of Ms Portman. The sexually charged atmosphere is of her making - she relentlessly pursues Leon in an artless OTT fashion while he is a manchild with an interesting job who knows that she is off-limits. The final moment when he breaks down and confesses his love for her (before shoving her down an air shaft) is very moving (well, as moving as you are likely to get in a Besson film, where surface sheen and style are uppermost in his thinking).

"Find me the frenchman " .... ;)

"Gondolierrrrrrrrrrrr"   love the besson ....
  • westwest Frets: 996
    JezWynd said:
    Im on a Besson binge atm, Big Blue is up next and Nikita is incoming.
    All great, entertainment pictures. Enjoy.
    (Even Taxi).

I am covering everything directed by Woody Allen at the moment.
    ;D

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    edited March 2018
    'Brooklyn', currently showing on iPlayer.
    Starring Saoirse Ronan, Jim Broadbent and Julie Walters.
    Just exquisite, so beautifully filmed and paced. Ronan is so nuanced in the role of a young Irish girl sent to live in New York in the early 1950s. A simple drama, no action etc, just a tale of someone's experience in those post-war years.
    Old fashioned film making at its very, very best.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    Submarine - little indie-style Welsh movie directed by Richard Ayoade. Somewhere between Adrian Mole and Gregory's Girl. Good acting by the two leads, but the plot failed to deliver. 6/10