What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2627
    Philly_Q said:
    I'd expect a variety of reactions, but not that one.  I wonder what it was? (No spoilers please)
    Not seen it, but I'd conjecture that there's at least one major actor involved in the series who is reaching the end of their contract, maybe getting on a bit and wanting to go out with a bit of a bang. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2627
    (Of course, traditionally, in Marvel comics at least, death has usually been little more than a temporary inconvenience. I think even Peter Parker's Uncle Ben came back to life once (which kind of spoils the whole idea of "Becoming Spiderman to avenge my murdered uncle).
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22718
    (Of course, traditionally, in Marvel comics at least, death has usually been little more than a temporary inconvenience. I think even Peter Parker's Uncle Ben came back to life once (which kind of spoils the whole idea of "Becoming Spiderman to avenge my murdered uncle).
    This is true.  I haven't actually read Marvel comics since the early 1980s, but when I watch the films I sometimes delve into Wikipedia to look up a character, which of course leads me off in all sorts of directions.  I'm always amazed by all the deaths, reincarnations, unexpected relationships and parallel-universe storylines... it's quite tempting to start reading them again, but I daren't, there's so much it's just overwhelming.

On the other hand, it feels like the films' storylines are pretty much rooted in the stuff I was reading 40 years ago.  So perhaps the comics are essentially just recycling the same stories in different ways.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397
    Hostiles 

Pretty good film about the violence between native Americans and settlers, as seen from both sides, recommended !

All the money in the world 

Film about the kidnapping of Getty's grandson, no bad on the whole 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    Very unusually, I failed to watch a film all the way through at the weekend...

The Childhood Of A Leader

This got very good reviews, and although I knew it was quite an 'art' movie and I usually like that sort of thing, I have to say - what a tedious, irritating load of tosh. I got through about 40 minutes - during which nothing of any interest whatever had happened - and had to give up.

2/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    I watched Hostiles a couple of days ago and enjoyed it....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1299
    Jumanji 2

Really enjoyed it. Jack Black is particularly brilliant and I still adore Karen Gillan. Theyve done a great job making a sequel to the original that feels worthwhile and doesn’t tread on the toes of the first one.
    I watched this following reading your comment.  I had been boycotting it.  The original is a movie that I am very fond of and I feared the worst when I saw this was coming out.

It was, however, a decent movie.  Clear affection for the original and similar humour, although obviously different characters, different ages, different humour.  Jumanji was/is a comedy as much as it is a fantasy - the bit with the axe and the garden shed is a perfect example, there are few movies that will break the fourth wall so wilfully, so I didn't mind some of the quite obvious comic moments/lines.  Jack Black is good, as is Mr The Rock and I completely agree about Karen Gillan!  

Overall a good laugh, would watch again.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    Gerald's Game

A film based on the Stephen King Novel. I think I am scarred for life by a certain scene. I don't scare easily, but I suppose this particular scene is not "scary", it's just grotesquely graphic. I was squirming and wincing but I made myself watch it  :#
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22718
    Gerald's Game

A film based on the Stephen King Novel. I think I am scarred for life by a certain scene. I don't scare easily, but I suppose this particular scene is not "scary", it's just grotesquely graphic. I was squirming and wincing but I made myself watch it  :#
    I saw it a few months ago but I couldn't remember the scene in question... but it's coming back to me now.  Yes, pretty nasty!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27990
    Hansel & Gretel, Witch Hunters.

An excellent romp. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26918
    Three Billboards etc etc

Yeah, ok, I guess. I quite liked the first half and didn't quite like the second as much. All the cast are fantastic and the script is great but I guess I was hoping for a bit more.

Isle of Dogs

MrsF is the Wes Anderson uber-fan in our house. I like him but don't squee to the same extent. This is absolutely the movie you'd expect it to be. It's a very good WA film, so you'll either love it or hate it or like it just as much as his other stuff. I liked it plenty, which is helped by it being made by the guys at Three Mill Studios, where I used to live :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
     Cargo.

Made for Netflix, MrsTheWeary thought it was great. Quite tense, some nice shots of southern Australia. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    Deadpool 2- It started off quite strong. I feel the first one was tighter and it was a breath of fresh air. The second one is very funny, but it was just lacking something. overall 7/10 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited May 2018
    We Need To Talk About Kevin. A very depressing but impressive film about motherhood and a woman’s emotional torment at the hands of her son. Tilda Swinton is immense as Eva, and it’s hard not to empathise with her character.  9/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15483
    Pacific Rim (which, as it turns out, is a film and not a specialty act in some of Thailand's more outre night spots), well the 1st hour or so, but it was so bad I had to stop.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    edited May 2018
    "Death Wish" remake. 
    Starring Brice Willis - quite dark and bit different in climate than the original but pretty good as an action movie. 
    Quite interesting take on firearms in US - purchasing etc - could contribute to various threads here on TFB.
    7/10
    "Shotgun stories".
    Rural US, deep south, great acting - all things I love in movies. Plus Michael Shannon - well recommended.
    8.5/10
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    "Shotgun stories".
    Rural US, deep south, great acting - all things I love in movies. Plus Michael Shannon - well recommended.
    8.5/10
    Great film.  

Have you seen a film called 'Blue Ruin'? If you've not seen it and like Shotgun Stories, it has a few similar themes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    "Shotgun stories".
    8.5/10
    Great film.  

Have you seen a film called 'Blue Ruin'? If you've not seen it and like Shotgun Stories, it has a few similar themes. 
    Thanks so much, it's going on my to-watch list.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6143
    Coherence - a strange little sci-fi film, that I found on YT (hooky upload, I guess). Schrodinger-esque story line to set it off, but not too clever. Filmed in one house, for $50,000 and in 5 days with a small cast, improvised dialogue and a tiny crew. 8/10