What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    goldtop said:
    Coherence - a strange little sci-fi film, that I found on YT (hooky upload, I guess). Schrodinger-esque story line to set it off, but not too clever. Filmed in one house, for $50,000 and in 5 days with a small cast, improvised dialogue and a tiny crew. 8/10

I really enjoyed that one. Super low budget but a good idea executed really well. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Deadpool 2, not as good as the first, agree totally with @DrJazzTap ;
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited May 2018
    goldtop said:
    Coherence - a strange little sci-fi film, that I found on YT (hooky upload, I guess). Schrodinger-esque story line to set it off, but not too clever. Filmed in one house, for $50,000 and in 5 days with a small cast, improvised dialogue and a tiny crew. 8/10

Love that film! It took a bit of research and a 2nd watch to fully understand what was going on but wasn't quite so confusing as something like Primer which I needed diagrams to make sense of :)
    TTBZ said:
    goldtop said:

Love that film! It took a bit of research and a 2nd watch to fully understand what was going on but wasn't quite so confusing as something like Primer which I needed diagrams to make sense of :)
    I’m still not convinced Primer makes sense once you’ve seen the diagrams..!
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    Started watching Pulp Fiction the other night on Film4, but I always only ever get to "Zed's dead, baby, Zed's dead"! Then i eff off to bed  B)
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3488
    TTBZ said:
    goldtop said:

I’m still not convinced Primer makes sense once you’ve seen the diagrams..!
    It made even less after I saw the diagrams !  They showed how much I missed when I saw the film but my mind couldn't piece together the complexity of the narrative.

It's a real shame Shane Carruth has struggled with financing his films.  He could have been this generation's great science fiction film maker.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    It's a long time since I watched Primer but I think I got the gist of it without understanding all the detail - and that was enough to enjoy it.  Upstream Color was similar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 994
    i enjoyed upstream colour more , must give it another spin ...

I coudn't get my head around Upstream Colour - thought it was trying too hard to be clever but actually just being weird. Anyway...

Blade Runner 2049 

First time watching it since the midnight screening on launch. I was waiting to be in the right mood. I still think it's phenomenal. If only Bowie had still been with us instead of Leto it could've been even better still.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited May 2018
    VimFuego said:
    Pacific Rim (which, as it turns out, is a film and not a specialty act in some of Thailand's more outre night spots), well the 1st hour or so, but it was so bad I had to stop.
    I thought the last half was the best. It is worth watching for the robot fight scenes IMO!

TTBZ said:
    goldtop said:

Love that film! It took a bit of research and a 2nd watch to fully understand what was going on but wasn't quite so confusing as something like Primer which I needed diagrams to make sense of

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/movie_narrative_charts.png

https://xkcd.com/657/large/
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Saw Solo with Mrs Pintspiller. 7/10
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6101
    The Hateful Eight. A terrible movie, and I should have quit at about 1 hour in, but I kept going for the whole 2:45. I know Tarantino has his favourite actors, but when you get the same guys speaking lines from the same writer in scenes by the same director, just before the same comic gore ... there's just too much baggage.

This is a movie where SLJ is annoying and that should be impossible.

Worst of all for a whodunnit, Tarantino decides to do the unforgiveable 2/3rds of the way through. I've forgotten how to hide spoiler text here so I'll just leave it at that.

2/10
    goldtop said:

He passed that point long ago as far as I'm concerned.

I haven't seen The Hateful Eight yet, although I've seen all QT's other films and love and hate them in equal measure.  I will watch it eventually, but it's hard to psych myself up for nearly 3 hours of smartarse jibber-jabber just to get to the good parts which I'm sure will be there somewhere.
    Philly_Q said:
    goldtop said:

I haven't seen The Hateful Eight yet, although I've seen all QT's other films and love and hate them in equal measure.  I will watch it eventually, but it's hard to psych myself up for nearly 3 hours of smartarse jibber-jabber just to get to the good parts which I'm sure will be there somewhere.
    You can identify the exact point QT went too far - it's about halfway through Kill Bill 2, after an amazing Vol1, and a good opening, it all goes talky for its own sake, rather than for the sake of the story. Everything he's done since has been the same. 
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    goldtop said:

Aye - other recent lesser known "time paradox" type films people might like are:
    ARQ (2016)
    Time Lapse (2014)
    Philly_Q said:
    goldtop said:

You can identify the exact point QT went too far - it's about halfway through Kill Bill 2, after an amazing Vol1, and a good opening, it all goes talky for its own sake, rather than for the sake of the story. Everything he's done since has been the same. 
    I pretty much agree, although I think the signs were already starting to appear in Kill Bill Vol 1... but watching Kill Bill Vol 2 was such a frustrating/irrirating/tedious experience I didn't know whether to shout at the screen or just quietly kill myself right there in the cinema.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Just watched Gate of Hell (1953 - digitally remastered 2011). Intense Japanese drama of obsessive love  set in the 12th century. Really well directed and beautifully shot in colour. The colour balance of the elaborate costumes in every scene is just a joy to see. 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1747
    SLJ became his own caricature a while back. I haven't seen anything decent when it comes to him performing since "Django".
    The whole marvel thing, star wars... eh...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Mandela - Long Walk To Freedom

Well-made straightforward adaptation of Mandela’s autobiography - nothing groundbreaking or unexpected, and worth watching if you’re interested in his life. Idris Elba is reasonably believable, although it’s always difficult to completely see him as Mandela, but Naomie Harris struggles to be convincing as Winnie, if you’re of an age where she was a familiar figure. Well-paced though, it didn’t seem long even at nearly two and a half hours.

7/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

Night of the Virgin

Spanish comedy horror.  The blurb on the box says "imagine Pedro Almodovar remade Braindead" which is actually not far off the mark, although it's nowhere near as good as that suggests.  It's too long and neither as scary nor funny as it should be, but it sort of works.  Avoid if you have any kind of problem with body fluids....