What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    Deadman said:
    Control.

Of course, I'm late to the party...but what a film. Shot brilliantly, superb acting and an accurate reflection of early Joy Division. I felt sad after watching it, but in a good way as it's reinvigorated my love for JD.

9/10.

In chuffing deed! Its very very good.

Just watched Jack Reacher 2: distinctly average. Not as good as the first film at all, which I enjoyed.

I think the last film I saw before this was Infinity War, which I though was ace, for that sort of film. Wish I had time to watch more films, but sadly dont

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    The GLOW documentary on Netflix. If you’ve seen the two seasons of the fictional version I highly recommend this. The truth being stranger than fiction! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Caught The Killing of Sister George on tv the other evening. Hadn't seen it in over 20 years and it held up well. Beryl Reid is fabulous, she catches the 60's brogue wearing dyke to a tee and Susannah York is luscious. Reid's venom and jealousy toward to Coral Browne (who steals York) is by turns hilarious and painful to watch. Strange low key ending... Moo. Highly recommend if it comes around again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Rampage

a much better film that I expected it to be..
    really good fun.. and some quite funny moments in it too
    play every note as if it were your first
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Tomb Raider (2018)

It is, well, not awful, I guess. Mostly follows the basic outline of the rebooted games. Alicia Vikander (spelling?) is fine and Walton Goggins is excellent, but the overall thing is a bit flat. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited August 2018
    Sicario. Took a while to get going and was a bit of a mumblefest, but not half bad and pretty tense at times. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    edited August 2018
    Bone Tomahawk. Billed as a horror western but there wasn’t a whole lot of horror, apart from one short graphic scene. Nicely played though and a decent enough film.  Kurt Russell was really good in it, as was the guy who played the old timer whose name I didn’t know. Matthew Fox was good too (although I didn’t realise it was actually him until he took his hat off). 
  • Brawl in cell block 99 same director as bone tomahawk above.

Shit at trying to describe things but hopefully someone else will enjoy it from my indepth review.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • +1 for interstellar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    The Two Faces of January. Absolutely superb turn by Viggo Mortensen, backed up by Kirsten Dunst and Oscar Isaac.

Shot beautifully in 1960s Greece and Turkey it's a short, Hitchcockian style thriller with style to spare.

Available on Amazon Prime now. 
  • Shot Caller - guy goes to prison wrongly and ends up calling the shots. Very good. 

Patti Cakes. Wasn't convinced at the start but ended up LOVING this film. American female wants to become a rapper. 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

Calibre, a Netflix Movie.  A Dark tale of a hunting trip based from a remote Scottish village, that goes horribly wrong.

Gritty and tense, 7/10.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I've watched 25 films since last Thursday evening, at FrightFest.  I won't try to list them all.

And this evening I watched Atomic Blonde.  Which wasn't very good, apart from the fight scenes.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    Philly_Q said:
    I've watched 25 films since last Thursday evening, at FrightFest.  I won't try to list them all.

Kudos to you.  For a few years I'd try to see at least one film at Fright Fest.  There's nothing else like it, it has an incredible atmosphere and kinship if that makes sense.  I'd have a lot of respect for those who'd purchased entire festival tickets as they'd look pretty burnt out by the end of the festival! 

Just out of curiousity, what were the highlights of the programme?
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Finally watched justice league on sky, meh, like avengers not as well written, special effects look a bit silly at times, probably wouldn't watch a follow up.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Requiem For A Dream

Another one I'd never seen when it came out.

A very intense and powerful drama about drug addiction... not an easy watch, and made worse (or possibly better) by the direction style which is similarly intense and possibly overly stylised. But overall I didn't really feel any emotional connection to the characters, and it left me colder than it probably should have - there's no great revelation other than that unsurprisingly, drugs fuck you up. Probably not quite as good as I was expecting having read a fair bit about it.

7/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Philly_Q said:

Kudos to you.  For a few years I'd try to see at least one film at Fright Fest.  There's nothing else like it, it has an incredible atmosphere and kinship if that makes sense.  I'd have a lot of respect for those who'd purchased entire festival tickets as they'd look pretty burnt out by the end of the festival! 

Just out of curiousity, what were the highlights of the programme?

@earwighoney ;I get a weekend pass every year.  My brother discovered FrightFest before I did, if I remember right.  We didn't go to the very first one in 2000, we got tickets for individual films in 2001 and 2002, then from 2003 onwards it's been weekend passes all the way.  I just had to look on Wikipedia to remind myself of the history, it's amazing how much it's grown over the years, for better or worse...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_FrightFest_Film_Festival

We've also been to all the Halloween all-nighters, which have turned into all-dayers the last few years, unfortunately - I used to enjoy the near-hallucinatory state of watching bad horror movies at 5 o'clock in the morning.

Highlights of this year?  Bearing in mind it's now 70+ films spread over 4 screens, and you can only see, at most, 25 of them, I probably missed some gems.  But these were all very good:

• What Keeps You Alive
    • Tigers Are Not Afraid
    • The Dark
    • Incident in a Ghostland
    • Summer of 84
    • Killing God
    • Upgrade
    • Climax (if you're a fan of Gaspar Noe)
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    Patriots’ Day - Mark Wahlberg as a cop helping to hunt the Boston Marathon bombers. Wasn't expecting great things, but actually not at all bad.  Enjoyed it more than I expected to. 7.5/10.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Anyone seen red sparrow? Bit saucy innit?!
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    RMJ said:
    Anyone seen red sparrow? Bit saucy innit?!
    I watched it on Qatar airways flight.  So: No.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom