What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• jrc2806 said:
    Extinction (Netflix). Plot revolves around a family man who has premonitions of an Alien invasion - brilliant 90 minutes spent watching this. All I can say is what a twist - did not see that coming...... 

9/10
    Really? I stopped halfway through as I could not get into it. Maybe will try to finish if you recommend So highly?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22790
    Wildling
    A slightly different take on the werewolf legend.  Good cast (Liv Tyler, Brad Dourif and young British actress Bel Powley) and nicely done, but it feels a bit rushed and unsatisfactory at the end.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Spotlight.

Hmm, it’s quite a serious film and was someone’s labour of love to put together. Quite a hard sell I guess ( journalists investigating catholic priests abusing children) but I got quite gripped as it progressed. Some lovely understated acting from Keaton and others. 

I don’t think this is really a spoiler, a trivia bit from IMDB that amazed me a bit:

Jimmy LeBlanc, who plays Patrick McSorley, was himself an actual survivor of the clerical abuse scandal, so when director Tom McCarthy first brought him in for rehearsals with Mark RuffaloMichael Keaton and Stanley Tucci, he was concerned that 'revisiting' Jimmy's abusive past might be too emotionally traumatic for him. However, as McCarthy later accompanied Jimmy out after the session, he asked him if he was freaked out by his first 'acting' experience with the other actors. "Of course I'm freaked out," Jimmy said, "that was the Hulk and Batman and that guy from the devils wear prada."
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72320
    Solo: A Star Wars Story

I hadn't seen it at the cinema when it came out - the trailers and some of the early reviews put me off, and I thought they might have gone too far with milking the franchise.

I was wrong... it's quite good. Not in the same league as Rogue One, but I think it's better than both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi.

Alden Ehrenreich still isn't very convincing as a young Harrison Ford, but it bothered me much less than I thought it would, and he actually did quite well. The plot is surprisingly decent, and the new characters were excellent - top marks to L3 who had some great lines (as in Rogue One with K2S0, in fact) - and I thought the acting quality of Woody Harrelson and Paul Bettany made a big difference.

There's a nice twist at the end which seems to be setting up a sequel set between this and Rogue One, but ironically might not happen now since this one didn't do too well...

A possibly slightly generous (since I did really enjoy it after all) - 8/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    Gods of Egypt. 

Jaime Lannister as Conan the Barbarian meets Aladdin, Thor and the king of Sparta in a badly realised computer game. 

Utter shite. 
    boogieman said:
    Gods of Egypt. 

Jaime Lannister as Conan the Barbarian meets Aladdin, Thor and the king of Sparta in a badly realised computer game. 

Utter shite. 
    Fucking bollocks isn't it.

And presumably the casting director who gave Chadwick Boseman the Black Panther gig hadn't seen it.  Fortunately for both of them.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12313
    edited September 2018
    Just watched Upgrade, great bit of violent revenge/sci-fi fun. A solid 8/10
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited September 2018
    We saw Ghost Stories a few weeks ago.  Not as good as the theatre version which we saw years ago - amazing how they did it on stage...  very clever.

Tonight we watched Hostiles, starring Christian Bale and Ben Glover, who were both in 3:10 To Yuma which was a much, much better Western..

Watch Brigsby Bear, but don't Google it - watch it.  IMHO a great story, a bit weird and one that makes you smile at the end. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    The Meg, take it on face value as a good old fashioned romp and it doesn’t disappoint :)
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    A Man Called Noon - pretty standards fare, but good enough. Had the cult leader from All The Colours of the Dark in it as a gunfighter, with the same bouffant do.

looking forward to the new Suspiria. Good or bad, it’s one I have to see (Argento nut, so it’s gonna be interesting seeing what they’ve done)
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:
    Gods of Egypt. 

Utter shite. 

And presumably the casting director who gave Chadwick Boseman the Black Panther gig hadn't seen it.  Fortunately for both of them.
    Aye, it’s atrocious. Must’ve cost millions for the CGI alone. Can’t think it made much at the box office (or did it go straight to dvd?) so I hope Geoffrey Rush got his money up front. 
  • boogieman said:
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:
    Gods of Egypt. 

Utter shite. 

Aye, it’s atrocious. Must’ve cost millions for the CGI alone. Can’t think it made much at the box office (or did it go straight to dvd?) so I hope Geoffrey Rush got his money up front. 
    Wiki says it just about recouped its $140m budget, but not sure if that budget includes marketing. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Kitsune said:
    looking forward to the new Suspiria. Good or bad, it’s one I have to see (Argento nut, so it’s gonna be interesting seeing what they’ve done)
    Welcome fellow Argento nut!  I'm seeing the new Suspiria at the London Film Festival in a few weeks.  I suspect it will be good - or at least interesting in its own right, not just an idiotic remake.
  • Not sure if it means much these days but Tarantino has endorsed Suspiria so it’s worth checking out. Also looking forward to the new Halloween film.
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
    Not sure if it means much these days but Tarantino has endorsed Suspiria so it’s worth checking out. Also looking forward to the new Halloween film.
    The Tarantino endorsement means nothing to me, but I always give remakes a chance. 

I wish there weren't so many of them, I wish people would do something new but a remake can't tarnish the original and can sometimes be worthwhile in its own right.  That said, some of the worst films I've ever seen have been remakes or re-imaginings.
    edited September 2018
    Philly_Q said:
    Not sure if it means much these days but Tarantino has endorsed Suspiria so it’s worth checking out. Also looking forward to the new Halloween film.
    The Tarantino endorsement means nothing to me, but I always give remakes a chance. 

I wish there weren't so many of them, I wish people would do something new but a remake can't tarnish the original and can sometimes be worthwhile in its own right.  That said, some of the worst films I've ever seen have been remakes or re-imaginings.
    Most of the appeal of Suspiria is how clunky and of its time it is, I can’t imagine an update working at all. An endorsement from QT sounds like the kiss of death too, seeing as how he hasn’t made a decent film in years. 
  • FazerFazer Frets: 467
    Pontypool (2008)
    A low budget Canadian zombie(?) infection/virus mystery(?) film.
    Centred around a radio station it features a lot of the radio-voice-man talking, which I generally tend to find a bit annoying, for some reason, and it's a bit mannered and slightly detached comedy at times.
    I honestly don't know what to make of it, it starts of quite slow but builds up and improves as it goes along, and although I rate it 5/10 I'm wondering if I should watch it again.
    The reviews on imdb are split between rave 10/10s and outraged 1/10s.
    There's an hour long BBC radio play version which I'm going to listen to first.
  • Deadpool 2

This film got a bit of slack on it's cinema release, mainly (it seemed) for not being as funny as the original ...which seems a bit harsh seeing as I (and I know I'm not alone in this) had to watch the first one twice to get all the gags because I was laughing so hard during the initial viewing! 

Anyway, I liked it. It stays true to the original characters, does justice to the newly-introduced ones and very definitely keeps up the subversive spirit of the first movie. Roll on Deadpool 3. CHIMICHANGA!
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3902
    The nun. Might scare the kids if they're soft but it proves that horrors aren't what they used to be.

Absolute tosh. 4/10.
  • KitsuneKitsune Frets: 292
    edited September 2018
    Philly_Q said:
    Kitsune said:
    Welcome fellow Argento nut!  I'm seeing the new Suspiria at the London Film Festival in a few weeks.  I suspect it will be good - or at least interesting in its own right, not just an idiotic remake.
    I'm hoping its at least passable. Not sure about it being 2 and a half hours long though!

Watched Opera for the first time in about a decade earlier in the week. Superb stuff - I really like this period of Argento when he's matured a bit (the utter lunacy of Phenomena is just glorious). Shame about the massive spoiler pic of the killer in Alan Jones book as I didn't remember much about it at all.

Hopefully this Suspiria remake will be a success as the trailer strongly indicates that they are looking at the Three Mothers with potential to further films. INFERNO PLZ

Agree on QT - I don't really rate him at all nowadays.

Last night I watched Theatre of Blood - again - after a discussion about how good it'd be to have a drink with Vinnie P.