What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I Kill Giants (on Netflix).

I was expecting it to be a bit Buffy, but it was quite A Monster Calls.
    Watched that last month, wasn’t sure what to expect but enjoyed it. Felt quite emotional by the end as I saw a lot of my eldest in the main character regarding her mum.  Not seen A Monster Calls. 
    A Monster Calls is brilliant, but watch with caution as it’ll be incredibly emotional for anyone that’s been in a similar situation with a parents/partners health. 

@Longtallronnie ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2591
    edited January 2019
    About A Boy.  More than it's fair share of schmaltz and and a heavy "we're all better off if we look after one another" message but with enough wit in the details to make it an entertaining way of passing an hour or two in the right mood (ie festive period with a glass of whisky or two).  6.5/10.

T2 Trainspotting:  an obvious attempt to piggy back on the (somewhat over-rated) original but done with just about enough energy and integrity not to be as flat and awful as I would have feared. 6.5/10
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Swimming With Men

A really charming, very British comedy, formula stuff but thoroughly enjoyed it...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2386
    Logan 8/10

Well, that was pretty intense. Very good end to the Wolverine saga - but I'm guessing I must be the only person who hadn't seen it! 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12327
    FarleyUK said:
    Logan 8/10

Well, that was pretty intense. Very good end to the Wolverine saga - but I'm guessing I must be the only person who hadn't seen it! 
    Best super hero film for me I think. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    Stan and Ollie

Set in the twilight of their careers, a tour of small theatres in the UK ..... Steve Coogan and John Reilly are utterly convincing 

Great film 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 982
    Fargo (1996) - One of those films I just had never got around to watching, thankfully it was available on Netflix. Watched it earlier this month in a couple of instalments.  Some cool characters and pretty unpredictable, set in Canada.  8/10

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) - Meant to watch this when it came out in the cinema years ago, but I have a habit of missing films.  Again Netflix came to the rescue and I watched this over the Christmas holidays.  Based on the John Le Carre book.  I really enjoyed it, a strong story with  good performances & a strong cast. 8/10
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    duotone said:
    Fargo (1996) - One of those films I just had never got around to watching, thankfully it was available on Netflix. Watched it earlier this month in a couple of instalments.  Some cool characters and pretty unpredictable, set in Canada.  8/10

Pedant warning: set in Minnesota, USA. Filmed in Canada. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    Bird Box - Dull with a shit ending

Deadpool 2 - Excellent
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Tone71 said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46846981

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 625
    ICBM said:
    Tone71 said:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46846981

Wow, the stupidity is incredible!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22738
    Re:Born

OK Japanese actioner with Tak Sakaguchi.  Basically one long fight scene.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Mandy.
    Blood drenched revenge movies aren't normally my thing but this is a bit different. Some of the imagery is mesmerising, the industrial type soundtrack contributes perfectly to the film's atmosphere, Nicholas Cage is uncharacteristically restrained and what's not to like about Andrea Riseborough?She's always convincing in whichever role she plays.
    All in all, a very impressive, almost beautiful film.
    This and Raising Arizona are the only Nic Cage films I've really enjoyed. 

• We've got back into the habit of using our cineworld cards so recently we've seen The Favourite and Bohemian Rhapsody. Both very entertaining with excellent performances although the historical accuracy is debatable.

The other week we were looking for something random on Prime and found Snowpiercer, a US/South Korean colab set on a train (aren't they all) and about a distopian world where the science boffins tried to stop global warming but actually froze the planet and killed everyone who weren't lucky enough to get on said train. It has some good bits and an excellent cast but loses steam (har har) towards the end and suffers from a totally bleak ending. 3/5
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • neilgneilg Frets: 94

The other week we were looking for something random on Prime and found Snowpiercer, a US/South Korean colab set on a train (aren't they all) and about a distopian world where the science boffins tried to stop global warming but actually froze the planet and killed everyone who weren't lucky enough to get on said train. It has some good bits and an excellent cast but loses steam (har har) towards the end and suffers from a totally bleak ending. 3/5
    Have you watched the youtube videos showing that Snowpiercer could be a sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate factory?
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Sassafras said:
    Mandy.
    Blood drenched revenge movies aren't normally my thing but this is a bit different. Some of the imagery is mesmerising, the industrial type soundtrack contributes perfectly to the film's atmosphere, Nicholas Cage is uncharacteristically restrained and what's not to like about Andrea Riseborough?She's always convincing in whichever role she plays.
    Love this film. Not far from a drug trip while watching other films and yet still feels really well done  

I'd also recommend Mom and Dad for good Cage. Perhaps Wild at Heart too... 
    edited January 2019
    Myranda said:
    Sassafras said:
    Mandy.
    Love this film. Not far from a drug trip while watching other films and yet still feels really well done  

I liked the style of Mandy but I found the rampaging rollercoaster of revenge in the second half of the film rather tame and a bit of a letdown.  And Linus Roache is awful.

I like Nic Cage.  He's made some truly dreadful films and sometimes looks like he's sleepwalking, but when he's good he's great.  Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans is amazing and he's also in the only two romcoms I'll admit to liking:  Honeymoon in Vegas and It Could Happen to You.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Myranda said:
    Sassafras said:
    Mandy.

I liked the style of Mandy but I found the rampaging rollercoaster of revenge in the second half of the film rather tame and a bit of a letdown.  And Linus Roache is awful.

I like Nic Cage.  He's made some truly dreadful films and sometimes looks like he's sleepwalking, but when he's good he's great.  Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans is amazing and he's also in the only two romcoms I'll admit to liking:  Honeymoon in Vegas and It Could Happen to You.
    I'd never heard of Linus Roache till this film but I thought he did a credible job as an evangelistic nut job. The whole cast was well suited to the film.
    I confess I did quite like Honeymoon in Vegas. Haven't seen the others you mention.
    edited January 2019

Myranda said:
    Sassafras said:
    Mandy.

I thought the director captured the whole 'trippy'' vibe better than most.
    Some films that try it are just laughable caricatures.
    Sassafras said:
    I'd never heard of Linus Roache till this film but I thought he did a credible job as an evangelistic nut job. 
    As you probably know, he's the son of William (Ken Barlow) Roache.  He did a couple of films in the '90s - Priest and The Wings of the Dove - which got good reviews and it seemed he was destined for big things, but it never really happened.  But I see he's done a lot of US TV so he probably makes a good living.