What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Velvet buzzsaw 

Amazing. Darkly funny, and absolutely savage. Top performances all around with characters you love to hate. Watched it because I *loved* nightcrawler. 
    I just watched that.

I did enjoy it but I also feel that the pacing could have been a little better

I think nightcrawler is ten times the film velvet buzzsaw is, having seen it again. Pacing is all over the place, but the performances are excellent and I like the "feel" of the film. 

I saw suspiria at the weekend. Whoa. No idea what to think. Might need to rewatch (old Italian version) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2584
    ICBM said:
    Testament Of Youth

WWI film based on Vera Brittain's autobiographical book. Maybe not the most sophisticated acting and direction, but well enough done. I actually found it more emotive than They Shall Not Grow Old, even though it's to some extent 'fictionalised' in the sense that the characters are played by actors. I haven't read the book, but MrsICBM has and said the film was if anything more powerful.

9/10
    Was this a film version, or the 1979 BBC version with the lovely Cheryl Campbell?
    I watched the BBC version when it was re-broadcast in the 90s. Saturday nights iirc. I knew the story already having read the book.  I thought the dramatisation was brilliant at the time.  There's been a revolution in the quality of TV drama since then: I'd like to think it would still stand up, but the bar is higher.

I started watching the recent movie and didn't stick with it.  I might have persisted if I was new to the material but I very much had the sense that I'd already seen it done better.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Planet Terror.
    It's not subtle, it's not deep, it doesn't carry any great meaningful message.
    It is however wildly, ridiculously, stupidly, insanely entertaining. An absolute blast from start to finish.
    It''s the first zombie film I've really enjoyed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    Planet Terror is great, a wonderful homage.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Fishermans Friends, utterly predictable, feel good movie....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    Wind River 
    slow burner but I enjoyed it 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9553
    edited March 2019
    paulnb57 said:
    Fishermans Friends, utterly predictable, feel good movie....
    Saw it this afternoon. Agreed about it being predictable, but thoroughly enjoyable.

North Face - subtitled movie about the Toni Kurtz / Andreas Hinterstoisser 1936 attempt to climb the north face of the Eiger. Gripping stuff.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Kursk, the story of the Kursk sub that sank in the Bering sea, absolutely hated it on every level unfortunately. If you have seen the film Das Boot then you remember almost feeling the claustrophobia and smell of diesel oil, stale air and sheer terror that made it so memorable, the Kursk had none of this unfortunately :(
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1747
    sweepy said:
    Kursk, the story of the Kursk sub that sank in the Bering sea, absolutely hated it on every level unfortunately. If you have seen the film Das Boot then you remember almost feeling the claustrophobia and smell of diesel oil, stale air and sheer terror that made it so memorable, the Kursk had none of this unfortunately :(
    Haven't seen it but it's not getting any good reviews... sadly, as I was looking forward to this. Not very historically accurate either apparently. Shame, I remember following that story live - great tragedy.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290
    I watched Free Solo last night. 

Jesus, Alex Honnold has some balls. 

Great film. The camera work is amazing. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 604
    @CHRISB50 just looking at the still images for Free Solo gives me vertigo. If I watched that my testes would be in my rib cage!
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    CHRISB50 said:

I watched Free Solo this morning, really, really good.

Also Ben is Back, a bit depressing but I liked it.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290
    notanon said:
    @CHRISB50 just looking at the still images for Free Solo gives me vertigo. If I watched that my testes would be in my rib cage!
    Tone71 said:
    CHRISB50 said:

I watched Free Solo this morning, really, really good.

Also Ben is Back, a bit depressing but I liked it.
    The film from when he climbed Half Dome looked ridiculous. Like he was climbing the Eeyrie from Game of Thrones. 

Some amazing footage and great subject matter. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    Captain Marvel 

Solid 3.5/5 Marvel movie. Obviously a little formulaic but a reasonable way to spend an afternoon. And a great soundtrack, because 90's music is excellent. I look forward to Endgame. I do wonder if that might be a tighter movie than The Thanos One, simply because it'll have half as many main characters for at least the first 60%. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12258
    Free Solo made my nuts tingle 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12315
    Inferno. Dan Brown book made into half decent film shocker! I hadn’t realised Ron Howard was the director on this one, which might explain why. 
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1747
    Free solo - great watch. Informative but also just so pure when it comes to man, his dreams and determination in order to achieve them. I've found it uplifting. Agreed with Chris on camera work too.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    I watched The Dawn Wall last night and now need to watch Free Solo! Dawn Wall was brilliant but Free Solo seems like it's gonna take it up a notch. All super inspiring.
  • Paddleton - liked it Ray Ramano was excellent even better than in Vinyl and he was brilliant in that.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6598
    Climax. 

Gaspar Noe sucking his own toes for 90 minutes. And he's obviously never gone anywhere near hallucinogenics. Shame really because "I Stand Alone", "Irreversible" were so brilliant, "Enter the Void' and "Love" slightly less so but still very good cinema for many reasons. 

Avoid "Climax", it certainly is not climax and rather dull to be honest despite so scary subject matter....