What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    In the Tall Grass. 

Based on a story by Stephen King and his son ( there is a brief nod to Christine in it although it passed me by, anyway it’s mentioned in IMDB). 
    Very Stephen King I guess. I should think fairly low budget. Kept me engaged. Wasn’t amazing,not terrible. . 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Just watched El Camino ... very slow, very dull ... crock of shit. 
    #thebatesmotelband
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    I really enjoyed joker - I can see why it’s not for everybody (slow pace, dark and brooding etc.) but I was engrossed in it. 

Booked tickets to see the 4K rerelease of The Shining later this month.

Waiting for the dark fate reviews to start rolling in before prebooking..

Oooh I didn’t know that was a thing, will have to check it out. I see they’ve made a film of Dr Sleep too...should be interesting, the book is very good. 

I just watched Contact again. Very decent film, although there are quite a few loose ends that aren’t dealt with in the film that are explained in the book, like why they didn’t send a second person through the machine to verify things. 
  • "Threads" the BBC nuclear drama from 1984. 

Never seen it before, but I've heard a few things about it and I saw it was the anniversary of the original broadcast the other day. Tracked the full version down online and watched it in two sittings late at night.

Pretty powerful stuff even now, and really makes you think that it could well turn out like that.

I might give that a watch . I remember the day after but never saw threads, was that one set in Sheffield ?

• I saw the Martian a few years ago . I’m recently watching lots of short film on a channel called. Omeletto on YouTube, some really great ones. Also A channel called dust , S I fi shorts
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    "Threads" the BBC nuclear drama from 1984. 

Never seen it before, but I've heard a few things about it and I saw it was the anniversary of the original broadcast the other day. Tracked the full version down online and watched it in two sittings late at night.

Pretty powerful stuff even now, and really makes you think that it could well turn out like that.

I might give that a watch . I remember the day after but never saw threads, was that one set in Sheffield ?

Yes, it’s the Sheffield one. 

https://archive.org/details/threads_201712
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    The Seventh Seal

Ingmar Bergman’s 1957 classic. It’s on BBC iPlayer just now if you’ve never seen it... you should.

One of the most influential films ever made for a good reason. It’s still an outstanding work of genius.

10/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4258
    To echo the comments above about Joker. Watched it last night, completely blown away. Best film I have seen in years.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    CloudNine said:
    To echo the comments above about Joker. Watched it last night, completely blown away. Best film I have seen in years.
    Is batman in it?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    I only like batman
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    CloudNine said:
    Yeah. It's difficult to describe, because I don't want to say "I loved it" because that's completely the wrong sentiment. But I loved the experience of watching such a great bit of filmmaking. 

I'm holding some hope that Phoenix won't want to play the role again in a Batman movie, which I'm 100% onboard with. I'd like to see some of the other list of excellent bad guys done right, with much more "detective-ing" if possible. 

And it's a bit delicious that this makes Leto's attempt look extra shite and should put the final nail in any thoughts of a connected DC-verse for a good while.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22780
    I'm holding some hope that Phoenix won't want to play the role again in a Batman movie, which I'm 100% onboard with. I'd like to see some of the other list of excellent bad guys done right, with much more "detective-ing" if possible. 

I haven't seen Joker (yet) but I understand it's set in a time frame where Bruce Wayne is a small child, so Joker would be an OAP by the time Wayne is Batman. 
    I wonder if that was intentional by the makers of Joker, and simply not thought through by the studio execs?
    Philly_Q said:

I haven't seen Joker (yet) but I understand it's set in a time frame where Bruce Wayne is a small child, so Joker would be an OAP by the time Wayne is Batman. 
    I wonder if that was intentional by the makers of Joker, and simply not thought through by the studio execs?
    Yeah. Joker is always/generally suggested to be older than Batman, but the gap would be pretty large here. 
  • Philly_Q said:

I think I read for the upcoming Batman film with Robert Pattinson will exist in a different timeline to the Joker film; there's no continuity with the current Joker film.  
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Loved The Joker, a really good film.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FatBobFatBob Frets: 15
    I saw the Martian a few years ago . I’m recently watching lots of short film on a channel called. Omeletto on YouTube, some really great ones. Also A channel called dust , S I fi shorts
    DUST - some really good stuff on that YT Channel. Thought provoking.

A very good shout.
    Peace is the absence of desire. Discuss...
  • FatBobFatBob Frets: 15
    CloudNine said:

The DC people will want another, but Phoenix seems to be the kind of guy who would walk away to another role.

A film that I thought wasn't up to much on BluRay, then I chose to watch it again and changed my mind True Grit with Matt Damon and Jeff Bridges.  Another Western I loved and still do is 'Open Range'. Majestic film and Duvall and Costner, with Robert Duvall being one of my favourite actors, after Gene Hackman.
    Peace is the absence of desire. Discuss...
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2398
    Philly_Q said:

I think I read for the upcoming Batman film with Robert Pattinson will exist in a different timeline to the Joker film; there's no continuity with the current Joker film.  
    I get really annoyed with this; they can't seem to decide on any kind of continuity at all, which makes it looks pretty crappy. Fair enough if Phoenix isn't reprising the role as Joker, but there should at least be an agreement timeline connection etc.

I went to see Joker Saturday; superb film. Really enjoyed it - the kind of film that stays with you for days afterwards.

And poor Gary.
    FarleyUK said:
    Philly_Q said:

I get really annoyed with this; they can't seem to decide on any kind of continuity at all, which makes it looks pretty crappy. Fair enough if Phoenix isn't reprising the role as Joker, but there should at least be an agreement timeline connection etc.

I went to see Joker Saturday; superb film. Really enjoyed it - the kind of film that stays with you for days afterwards.

And poor Gary.
    I don't see it as being that important. The various classic Batman comics over the years are mostly non-canon with respect to one another. Batman stuff has always been more like James Bond stories than the serial-narrative of the MCU. 

I'd far rather we got high quality one-offs (or tightly-planned trilogies, etc) than a bloated "universe" that's planned for the sake of bums on seats more than quality of output. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Forbidden Planet

1956 Sci-fi classic. Given that this was made a year before Sputnik was even launched, it's astonishing - both the concepts and the visuals are far ahead of their time, and it's clearly been hugely influential on everything from Star Trek to Total Recall and even Star Wars, probably. The plot is very tenuously based on Shakespeare's The Tempest, but you'd probably have to know that to make the connection. Some of the special effects are remarkable, and it also features the first completely electronic score in any film.

If there's a criticism it's that some of the characters and the acting are rather more of their time... it's also slightly disconcerting to see Leslie Nielsen as the hero, before he discovered his talent for comedy, and Robby The Robot is still rather too obviously human-operated despite being pretty advanced by the standards of the day. But still, at least

9/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom