What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11654
    The Vault.  Against expectations I enjoyed it.  A euro Ocean's Eleven.  If you can get past the silly premise and suspend your disbelief for 120 minutes, it's a decent romp and the settings/locations are great.  Famke Janssen's character and appearances  are superfluous to the plot however and contribute to the film's bloated run-time, which could and should have been trimmed by 30 minutes.  6/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    dune fucking rips, the best big budget fantasy since LOTR
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5629
    Taken

Still a decent action movie if you can ignore all the implausibilities in the plot.  Certainly, there are worse films to watch with a curry and a beer on a Saturday night.

Disney +

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Haych said:
    Shutter Island

Netflix

A clever mystery movie with sinister overtones from Martin Scorsese. 

Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Ruffalo play the roles of US Marshals who are investigating the disappearance of a patient from an institution for the criminally insane on a island 11 miles off the coast of Boston. 

Convinced there are sinister events happening to the inmates, DiCaprio’s character becomes increasingly paranoid as the plot unfolds and the story progresses. 

I won’t add more and risk spoiling it for others. 

I have seen it before but Mrs Haych hasn’t so I watched it with her last night. It’s been some time since I first watched it though and the only thing I really recall was the ending, which I thought was disappointing the first time round. 

Definitely a better movie for a second viewing! This time the ending wasn’t disappointing at all and the final scene took on an entirely different meaning for me. 

Highly recommended viewing 8.5/10
    My thoughts entirely!

Second time around and it made more sense. And DiCaprio plays it so well, too.

• Dune.  I loved it.  Thought the pacing was just right and the three hours flew by.  Just epic and huge and why hasn't anyone invented ballistic weapons.  Lots of swords

Wife, however, thought it dragged and they could have cut some bit out.

Im glad they didn't and look forward to part 2

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    New Bond film, loved it
    The Guilty, Netflix thing with Jake Gylenhall - not sure, turned it off after half hour or so, got bored. Is it worth seeing through?

Spider Man 2 - brilliant. So much better than the new ones.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    The Next 3 Days, old fat man is getting it regular from Elizabeth Banks, she gets sent to prison and he turns down the chance to be getting it regular from Olivia Wilde. I think there may be a plot in there as well, but I was so bemused by how this old fat man with a shit job can be getting so much high end pussy.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Snap said:
    New Bond film, loved it
    The Guilty, Netflix thing with Jake Gylenhall - not sure, turned it off after half hour or so, got bored. Is it worth seeing through?
    Yes! There's a twist.........

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Just watched Dune. Biggest pile of arse wipe going. David Lynch's version cannot be beaten.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    i like both versions for different reasons!
  • Philtre said:
    Just watched Dune. Biggest pile of arse wipe going. David Lynch's version cannot be beaten.
    As said before in this thread - Lynch's adaptation is one of my favourite films of all time. Its quirky, chaotic and just great. It is however not a great adaptation of Herbert's book and if anyone watched it only once - it's almost impossible to make out anything of the story. 
    2021 was great IMHO. Wonderful shots, climate and just much more 'fluent'. It tells the story well without being too flashy and spoilt with sfx.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22792
    edited October 2021
    Philtre said:
    As said before in this thread - Lynch's adaptation is one of my favourite films of all time. Its quirky, chaotic and just great. It is however not a great adaptation of Herbert's book and if anyone watched it only once - it's almost impossible to make out anything of the story. 
    2021 was great IMHO. Wonderful shots, climate and just much more 'fluent'. It tells the story well without being too flashy and spoilt with sfx.
    I've said it before, but I wish Alejandro Jodorowsky had been able to make his version.  It would've been barking mad.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    It does have it's own Discussion but Dave Made a Maze ( on Prime). 
    I think I value it's difference and imagination and the craft. Not sure it carried me away with enthusiasm. 
    Had I been a studio exec I think I'd have said edit the swearing out and market it for older children. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12362
    edited October 2021
    Philtre said:
    2021 was great IMHO. Wonderful shots, climate and just much more 'fluent'. It tells the story well without being too flashy, but spoilt with Sting
    FTFY. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Dune.  I loved it.  Thought the pacing was just right and the three hours flew by.  Just epic and huge and why hasn't anyone invented ballistic weapons.  Lots of swords
    I haven't seen the new one yet - I will soon - but one of the constructs in the book is that they've developed defensive force fields which stop fast-moving objects so ballistic weapons became useless - but not slow-moving ones, so hand weapons are still effective.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11654
    Snap said:

Nope.  It's shite.
  • Once upon a time in Hollywood - absolutely loved it . One of my favourite eras musically , the beginning of the end of the 60s and the Manson story creeping and then crashing in at the end . 10/10 for me 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6152
    The Irishman (Netflix). Finally go around to it. It was already dragging after the first hour. The FX didn't bother me, despite some quirks, and the non-stop star spotting was fun, but the plot was boring despite being Zelig-in-The-Godfather. With the ending (of real and fictional characters) being already known, it just seemed to plod along for the second half. 4/10 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Once upon a time in Hollywood - absolutely loved it . One of my favourite eras musically , the beginning of the end of the 60s and the Manson story creeping and then crashing in at the end . 10/10 for me 
    Cracking film, acid dipped ciggy? Yes please!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Offset said:
    Snap said:

Nope.  It's shite.
    I just gave it a go (after quite a stressful day at work).

It is really irritatingly shite - honestly, just walk on by.