What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    re watched the Hobbit last eve. Wasn't wildly impressed on 1st viewing, but I quite enjoyed it 2nd run through. Still can't make up its mind what it wants to be, children's movie or dark, adult one, but god fun anyways (I supposed it is possible that I am slightly biased in its favour though)

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    edited September 2013

"Star Trek Into Darkness".

Predictable tosh. Watchable, but same-old, same-old. American back-patting, feel-good, 'we-saved-the-world-despite-taking-a-hit-so-don't-worry-America-there's-no-need-to-panic' type sci-fi nonsense.

"Independence Day" is another one. I keep thinking to myself "Why can't they all just die at the end for a change, and do us all a favour?"

I like sci-fi, and I loved the original Star Trek series, but I couldn't help but wonder how long they'll keep resurrecting the corpse.

Maybe I should put it in the FB Deadpool for 2014, but something tells me they'll be a large film corporation with a defib machine and an adrenaline syringe waiting in the wings to save the patient. Frankly, that's depressing, and they need to come up with something new.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 681
    Went to see 'Elysium' last night. What a great movie! Recommended.
  • First whole film in a couple of months - Star Trek (I believe in a thing called love). Hilight was Albert King on the soundtrack. Admittedly some great visuals at times and Sherlock stole his scenes but overall it failed to create a world I could enter. :-B
    Sunday tea time movie that cost £3.99 to rent.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Stark Trek - Into Lensflare

Pretty good hokum, less and less sure about Simon Pegg's Scotty. Cumberbatch was good as a baddie, and lots of referential things - Harry Mudd, Tribbles, the getaway from Star Wars.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    I liked Into Lensflare but felt it should have been two films...

One film of Benedict Cumberbatch as Kaaaaaaaaahn! For a whole film
    One film about the militarisation of the Federation

Both had enough flavour to make into whole films, and both were underused in what was shown... or BC should have been in ... 5 films as Kahn as he was the best bit
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Isn't the militarisation still coming though?

Logic would dictate that the next film is war with the Klingons.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno;29951" said:
    Stark Trek - Into Lensflare

Pretty good hokum, less and less sure about Simon Pegg's Scotty. Cumberbatch was good as a baddie, and lots of referential things - Harry Mudd, Tribbles, the getaway from Star Wars.
    yes, got the Star Wars reference, missed Harry Mudd. Fairly sure there was a bit of 9/11 as well as Mickey from Dr Who.I agree with Myranda that a darker Kahn based movie would have been better.

Lixarto said:

Logic? Star Trek?! LOGIC?! ;)
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    *raises one eyebrow*
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Brilliant!

• Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Sharknado - Watch it, thank me later ;) 
    Seriously, it's funny because it's so crap. The tagline was "Sharks, in a tornado. 'Nuff said." 
    8/10
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I hated Into Darkness, but loved it, kinda. I think it will take time to accept.

Saw Now You See Me yesterday, loved it. We're The Millers, really liked it. Cool As I Am, not bad. Tried to watch Spring Breakers today, it wasn't my cup of tea. I thought it was going to be a bit like Project X, but it was a bit arty farty, all atmosphere, not enough dialogue and not much narrative. I might enjoy it some other time, knowing what to expect.
    My V key is broken
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited September 2013
    Lixarto said:

When there's a Temporal Distortion - you know the end is near - that's Star Trek for the scriptwriters are worn out.

I watched Oblivion, pretty good.  Crappy happy ending, they should have left it.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I watched Taken 2 and seeing how heavily both this and the first one rely on mobile phone coverage I concluded that Liam Neeson doesn't have a contract with Orange.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Watched Tinker,Tailor, Soldier, Spy for the second time. Read the book a couple of years ago.I can just about follow it now!

The period look is a bit overdone at times and you can start thinking about the wallpaper or where they found a particular car. You do have to concentrate on the plot a bit (something of a shock after watching Star Trek!) but it is a great looking and beautifully balanced film.

My general complaint about modern films is that they are aimed at 13 year old girls in the Mid West ( cause, well, they are) but this is a modern grown up movie.
    I watched Taken 2 and seeing how heavily both this and the first one rely on mobile phone coverage I concluded that Liam Neeson doesn't have a contract with Orange.
    Mobile phones in films have Dramatic Coverage contracts. If it's integral to the plot the coverage in an area will drop out or mysteriously reappear at will.

Perfect example might be Liam Neeson's phone, or the mobile phone in The Hangover - which get reception in the deep desert to make the call at the beginning of the movie, or how in every horror film the goodie has no phone signal or has somehow left their phone in the car while they explore the spooky dark alley where they're sure dozens of other hot blondes have been murdered brutally at midnight on this very night of the year, and oh it's 5 minutes to midnight... 

I know people who wont go to the loo without their phones... but in movies everyone leaves their phones at home for dramatic effect later... 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15485
    Burn After Reading, bloody good fun. Not the coen bros best, but a very well crafted dark farce. 8/10 I reckon.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Myranda said:
    I watched Taken 2 and seeing how heavily both this and the first one rely on mobile phone coverage I concluded that Liam Neeson doesn't have a contract with Orange.
    Mobile phones in films have Dramatic Coverage contracts. If it's integral to the plot the coverage in an area will drop out or mysteriously reappear at will.

Perfect example might be Liam Neeson's phone, or the mobile phone in The Hangover - which get reception in the deep desert to make the call at the beginning of the movie, or how in every horror film the goodie has no phone signal or has somehow left their phone in the car while they explore the spooky dark alley where they're sure dozens of other hot blondes have been murdered brutally at midnight on this very night of the year, and oh it's 5 minutes to midnight... 

I know people who wont go to the loo without their phones... but in movies everyone leaves their phones at home for dramatic effect later... 
    Yes, patchy mobile coverage seems to have replaced dodgy car starter motors.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

I don't care how many Rotten Tomatoes people didn't like it, I thought it was brilliant.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom