Mac Mini M1
Presonus Studio One V5
 https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
 https://twitter.com/spark240
 Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
Reddit r/newmusicreview 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Not watched the video but have seen similar and I personally have run many.

It's by no means a record, but I'm pretty chuffed that I have 27 guitar tracks each running a separate instance of amplitube on my most recent project. Plus some heavy hitters from Acustica! My best purchase in years, this M1 Mac.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Well I can tell you it reached 80 vst tracks and probably more…next test is audio tracks 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Well actual audio tracks don't need any processing power at all hardly. Old guys like me used to run 24 track projects on Pentium 233mhz chips with 32Mb of ram in the nineties 
    The Mac I had in the studio from 2010 to 2015 was a 2005 MacPro and that could handle 96 tracks all with EQ and comp plugs. Plus around 8 aux busses with effects. 

My 2007 iMac is fine with 48 tracks all with EQ and comp plugs plus a few effects busses 

Complex reverb algorithms are probably the most taxing in terms of CPU, I remember Altiverb used to make the old CPU groan a bit :)

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited August 2021
    Danny1969 said:
    Well actual audio tracks don't need any processing power at all hardly. Old guys like me used to run 24 track projects on Pentium 233mhz chips with 32Mb of ram in the nineties 
    The Mac I had in the studio from 2010 to 2015 was a 2005 MacPro and that could handle 96 tracks all with EQ and comp plugs. Plus around 8 aux busses with effects. 

My 2007 iMac is fine with 48 tracks all with EQ and comp plugs plus a few effects busses 

Complex reverb algorithms are probably the most taxing in terms of CPU, I remember Altiverb used to make the old CPU groan a bit
    Yep.

The processing we have available now is insane compared to the old days.
    My current Mac Pro never goes over 20% CPU with 80+ tracks and plugins on every channel.

I don't bother benchmarking anymore- the only thing that stretches modern DAW's are high CPU virtual instruments which I don't use as I have hardware synths I prefer.

• SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I got a new PC set up a couple of years ago. 12 core AMD ryzen 7 with 32mb ram. It runs anything I throw at it without even a grunt tbh. Usually that's involving a lot of Omnisphere and Kontakt stuff, plus umpteen other things. Which is a relief, cos that was the point
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Mid 2015 iMac… 66 instrument tracks and counting… most with plugins on… only gets to about 30%

But… this is since I’ve switched to an external TB ssd for the boot disk. It seems to be happier and a lot faster!
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    poopot said:
    Mid 2015 iMac… 66 instrument tracks and counting… most with plugins on… only gets to about 30%

But… this is since I’ve switched to an external TB ssd for the boot disk. It seems to be happier and a lot faster!
    Do you think Logic being Apple handles this a bit better than say Studio One ?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    poopot said:

Do you think Logic being Apple handles this a bit better than say Studio One ?
    That is a possibility… 3rd party plugins tend to slow things up compared to apples own AU ones in logic…

the main thing that seems to make it fall over is midi tracks… if you have a software instrument or midi track logic is always listening, always recording infact even if your just noodeling…
    I tend to get the midi stuff done and bounced ASAP…
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    poopot said:

Call that a "project"?  Bloody amateur ... ;) 

From what I've seen, rather than "how many plugins can an M1 run" a better "how many plugins will run on an M1"
    Bezzer said:
    poopot said:

Call that a "project"?  Bloody amateur ... ;) 

From what I've seen, rather than "how many plugins can an M1 run" a better "how many plugins will run on an M1"
    And that why mine went back to apple the same day I got it :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom