Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Irish Acoustics - Suitable for blues/rock or a one trick pony?

What's Hot
RebarRebar Frets: 134
edited August 2021 in Acoustics
Hi All,

I thought I'd contact the forum for your collective wisdom. 

I've recently sold a very nice slope shouldered Patrick James Eggle and am in the market for a slightly smaller new acoustic (OM/Concert size). I think for my next acquisition I would like to try something from one of the Irish builders such as Lowden, Avalon, McIlroy, etc.

However, I have heard that these are only really suitable for finger picking and sound poor when strumming and flat picking. As I play mostly blues/rock are these even worthwhile considering? 

Thanks in advance for your advice. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    edited August 2021 tFB Trader
    Rebar said:
    Hi All,

I've recently sold a very nice slope shouldered Patrick James Eggle and am in the market for a slightly smaller new acoustic (OM/Concert size). I think for my next acquisition I would like to try something from one of the Irish builders such as Lowden, Avalon, McIlroy, etc.

However, I have heard that these are only really suitable for finger picking and sound poor when strumming and flat picking. As I play mostly blues/rock are these even worthwhile considering? 

That’s quite amusing, if you don’t mind me saying? 

You cant use a plectrum with an acoustic guitar made in Ireland? Who fed you this? D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    You need to try one out. Lowdens have their own sound, which you may, or may not, like. I have a Lowden 'O' which is fine from my point of view for strumming etc.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RebarRebar Frets: 134
    Rebar said:
    Hi All,

That’s quite amusing, if you don’t mind me saying? 

You cant use a plectrum with an acoustic guitar made in Ireland? Who fed you this? D
    There's a difference between 'able' and 'suitable'. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    They are costly but have you considered Emerald Guitars?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    Lowdens and the Lowden family of guitars (avalon, McIlroy, etc) have more overtones than usual.
    The bracing and design, and the fact they sand the inside of the guitar makes them do this.

I have some, and they are different, and are very good for fingerpicking, especially in some styles

Avalon also make an "Americana" range, with more traditional Amercican style bracing, I have one of these. There are less overtones, and it is better for some more complicated arrangements for which extra harmonics can reduce focus (e.g. a complicated acoustic version of "Yesterday" that I like to play

I certainly wouldn't say that default-bracing Lowdens and Avalons "sound poor" when strummed/picked, they just sound different. You might well love the sound of them the way you play - best to try one

I would recommend Rosewood and spruce if you are playing hard with a pick, ideally a stiff spruce like Adirondack.
    Many people prefer dreads when playing loud with a pick, but I assume you have your reasons for reducing the size of your intstrument
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited August 2021
    I’ve played a number of Lowdens and really wanted to like them. 

The suggestion you try some is the best advice you’ll get.

For me, they don’t work - they are voiced very differently from Martins and the like. Only you can make the judgement as to whether they work for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 453
    Surely by going “Irish” you are limiting your choices if you want a good strummer/fingerpicker for blues/rock - there are companies like Atkin (great british builder) who make fantastic guitars just for this - the Atkin LG47 is one such guitar (if you are after a smaller body guitar)
  • malcolmkindnessmalcolmkindness Frets: 164
    edited August 2021
    Lowden, McIlroy and Avalon are all great guitars, but none of them would be my first choice for blues/rock!
    Ciaran McNally makes guitars that are more mid Atlantic in sound, or perhaps the Avalon Americana might suit you.
    Although, I agree with wellsyboy that an Atkin might be cheaper and a better choice all round.
    Paul Brady plays a Lowden in a rock style, perhaps you can find a video on YouTube.
  • AqmltdAqmltd Frets: 16
    I have a lowden with a cedar top. Lovely guitar, made for finger picking. Sounds great strummed to, but if you give it too much gusto, it tends to clip out. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    They don't sound poor, but they sound extremely different from a traditional American-voiced acoustic and won't give you the classic blues/rock strummed - or even fingerpicked - sound at all.

I once had a Lowden O10, which I bought on a whim because I was offered it cheap due to some damage - a beautifully made guitar, which no doubt sounded fantastic. But not when I played it. I actually preferred an old Hondo all-ply Everly Brothers copy I had at the same time which I picked up in a junk shop for £80. Really... it just suited my playing style and the sound I wanted better - Neil Young, basically - so I sold the Lowden, and don't regret it. I do actually miss the Hondo though!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4256
    Have owned a few Lowdens, from basic models right up to a really nice sounding F50 Redwood/Koa model. Having played side by side for a good while with my trusty J45 Legend, I concluded that the J45 was 95% as good to my ears for finger picking, maybe actually better for most things I would play, but the Lowden was only 10% of the J45 for strumming, flat picking, everything else. This is no doubt about the sounds in my head and the records I have listened to my whole life. I get that there will be some styles of finger picking that work with that Celtic sound etc, but anyone who suggests that a Lowden will do all that, as well as satisfy your requirements folk, rock, country, banging out some Neil Young tunes, etc. etc., is imo leading you very much astray. Some will clearly disagree, but for me, they ARE kind of one trick ponies.

I sat in Guitar Guitar once and played all the Lowdens they had for a few hours. A lot of very very average sounding boxes. The only guitar that was genuinely brilliant, was a used S model, Brazilian back and sides. Not a guitar that I wanted or needed, and whilst I have never really felt Brazilian to always be better than other woods (although it IS almost always better than EIR), this one was pure magic. Notes felt like they were leaping out before I had plucked them. I bought a Bourgeois dread though, then went home and banged out some Neil Young tunes.  =)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    Having owned both Lowden and Mcilroy, I don't think they have the same voicing, and I find my Mcilroy A30 great for all round playing. To me, blues tunes sound great on it. I still think my J45 is the best guitar on the planet for belting out a rhythm piece, but the Mcilroy is definitely a match for it in finger picking blues. 
  • andymoandymo Frets: 11
    I have a Lowden F32 (EIR/Spruce).  It's not the classic Lowden sound as it's very bright and quite harsh compared to the other combinations.  I really don't like it for strumming but it's likely a personal thing being used to more "American" guitars for that kinda thing.  The Lowden is almost too sensitive and certainly not warm.  The idea that Lowdens are perfect for different tunings rings true with me.  Their voicing really lends itself to that.

In brief, you can strum a Lowden but it's not for me!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9592
    This is a subject that has intrigued me for a while. They’re associated with Celtic music but I haven’t heard of Irish manufacturers (where, arguably, more well-known music originates), they’re all from Northern Ireland. Is it all down to legacy companies originating from George Lowden?

Anyway, I have noticed guitarists in several Welsh folk acts using them - most of the time they’re used as heavily strummed rhythm instruments, with fiddle, accordion etc taking centre stage. Not really used for fingerpicking.
    Thanks to everyone who has contributed so far - your advice and insights are extremely welcome. 

Based on what people are saying, it looks like Lowdens can be hit and miss and that McIlroy seems to be more consistent in terms of flexibility of musical styles. I'll also check out the Avalon Americana range which sound like a good compromise. I'm also very grateful to @malcolmkindness for his suggestion to check out Ciaran McNally - it turns out he's about two miles away from me (although I'd never heard of him before)!

It's already feeling like I'll be leaning towards Martin, Atkin, etc based on my musical tastes and the advice above. However, I'll try out a few Lowdens and Avalons in the near future when I next have the chance - just to satisfy my curiosity.
  • This is a subject that has intrigued me for a while. They’re associated with Celtic music but I haven’t heard of Irish manufacturers (where, arguably, more well-known music originates), they’re all from Northern Ireland. Is it all down to legacy companies originating from George Lowden?

Anyway, I have noticed guitarists in several Welsh folk acts using them - most of the time they’re used as heavily strummed rhythm instruments, with fiddle, accordion etc taking centre stage. Not really used for fingerpicking.
    Just as a point of information, musically Ireland is all the one country, there is some excellent traditional music to be found north of the border.
    As far as manufacturers go, I know several luthiers in the ROI who will make you a guitar if you approach them but they mostly make mandolins, Irish bouzoukis, etc. 
    because they have established a market there.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 735
    I think you have a specific idea of what you mean rebar.

As others have pointed out, 'Irish Guitars' would lump together lots of makers, not least the amazingly innovative Emerald Guitars. 

I'm not sure there's a specific Irish Guitar which is best for playing Irish music. If anything characterises Celtic music it's DADGAD tuning!! That can make it sound a bit 'different' sometimes.

pretty maid milking a cow d b rance results on SoundCloud

DavidR said:
    I think you have a specific idea of what you mean rebar.

As others have pointed out, 'Irish Guitars' would lump together lots of makers, not least the amazingly innovative Emerald Guitars. 

I'm not sure there's a specific Irish Guitar which is best for playing Irish music. If anything characterises Celtic music it's DADGAD tuning!! That can make it sound a bit 'different' sometimes.

pretty maid milking a cow d b rance results on SoundCloud

You are quite correct @DavidR . When I referred to 'Irish Guitars', I was primarily referring to those which owe their heritage to George Lowden (eg Lowden, Avalon, McIlroy, etc). These have a specific tone and my original query was to gauge whether or not they could lend themselves to music beyond that which could be described as 'Celtic', as some people seem to think that they have harmonics which tend to lead to break up when strummed heavily. However, I think it's best if I just try a few and see how I feel (which is generally true irrespective of whatever type of guitar is under consideration as everyone's experience is different).

I am Irish and am familiar with Irish music. However, it's not really what I'm into and I just wanted to see what owners of Lowden(esque) acoustics thought of how suitable their instruments were for blues, acoustic rock, etc. Thanks too for the heads up on Emerald Guitars. They look interesting, although I have more traditional tastes and therefore feel that they're not for me.
  • @Rebar It's been nearly fifteen days now, man - what's the hold up? where's our NGD post? ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Rebar It's been nearly fifteen days now, man - what's the hold up? where's our NGD post? ;-)
    @Moominpapa a combination of slim pickings and an increasing workload are to blame! I'm keeping an eye out for something tasty but nothing has turned up yet.