What's Hot
fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23954
https://youtu.be/-UBcxKiS550

Full collaboration album coming too.

Cannot wait!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Loved that ... is Jonah Nilsson the new Michael Jackson?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23954
    Quincy Jones isn’t backing him for nothing.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I absolutely hate that. With a passion.. Just not my thing at all.

However, the bass playing is phenomenal!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    The bassist really is stunning.  I find the drummer overplays a bit (personal opinion).

Singer/Keys player is amazing, but it is all quite pastiche, and isn't overly original.  I also haven't forgotten his coffee break song ha

The bassist and Cory are dreamy good
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Personally I love everything Dirty Loops do. Exceptional musicians. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23954
    joeyowen said:
    The bassist really is stunning.  I find the drummer overplays a bit (personal opinion).

Singer/Keys player is amazing, but it is all quite pastiche, and isn't overly original.  I also haven't forgotten his coffee break song ha

The bassist and Cory are dreamy good
    Originality.... it wouldn't surprise me if Quincy Jones is responsible for that. Nilssen was picked by him for the Michael Jackson tribute show too.
    A new track ....

• Cover of Thriller

Nice!

The album is out today.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    He should leave the MJ voice for the MJ covers. Or at least not do the signature MJ noises in their own stuff. To me it makes it sound like he's trying to be him rather than influenced by him and it takes me right out of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultM said:
    He should leave the MJ voice for the MJ covers. Or at least not do the signature MJ noises in their own stuff. To me it makes it sound like he's trying to be him rather than influenced by him and it takes me right out of it.
    You'll be asking blues players not to play like Clapton / King / SRV next.

I suspect he's getting pushed a bit at the moment - Quincy Jones appears to now be in control. So not a surprise if the MJ influence is strong. QJ knows how to sell that by the millions.

My prediction is that Nilsson will come under increasing pressure from QJ to do another sort of Jacko and bin the band and release a massive solo album put together by QJ and some selected writers.

I really like Dirty Loops, but shoehorning a 24 bar jazz section into the middle of a pop song does not get you radio play.
    At least he's not going HEE HEE! I suppose... Yet  :#

I think you can get away with it more on guitar because people will just think yep that's a guitar solo. Those little vocal noises between words though, they're just Michael Jackson.
  • Maybe Jacko isn't dead and has just completed his surgery!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haha I think there were rumours at the time that he'd pretended to be dead and gone to a secret island somewhere. 
    I had tickets to see him on one of the first nights, and our college tutor had the last night. We joked that he wouldn't last to the final show and he was gonna miss out. 
  • Something about the production on these recordings drives me mad, but I can't put my finger on it.

Its like they've been both hard limited and hard compressed all at once. There's no light and shade at all. 
  • Impressively performed, respect the chops, but give me some funky the metres grooves over this sort of thing every time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The version of Thriller didn't do it for me .. will still check out the album though .. thread hijack .. ;-)

This good ...

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    FINALLY got round to listening to this collaboration. 

fucking hell. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    joneve said:
    FINALLY got round to listening to this collaboration. 

fucking hell. 
    I'm even later to the party, normally I'm all over this type of thing but somehow Dirty Loops have passed me by.

Unbelievable bass playing - Marcus Miller crossed with Victor Wooton - Very MJ 'esque vocals. Love "Follow The Light" but ultimately the Swedish House Mafia style production limits it longevity. 
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    I should like it, really like it, but I don't. As a few others have mentioned, I find it hard to pick out a definitive element as to why but I suppose that might be because it is all technically superb. It just feels a little soulless and a bit of a cash grab from QJ if he is involved. The longing looks between the singer and Cory Wong seemed like a very odd choice from the video's director as well.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    edited October 2021
    fob said:
    I should like it, really like it, but I don't. As a few others have mentioned, I find it hard to pick out a definitive element as to why but I suppose that might be because it is all technically superb. It just feels a little soulless and a bit of a cash grab from QJ if he is involved. The longing looks between the singer and Cory Wong seemed like a very odd choice from the video's director as well.
    The video is a composite - Dirty Loops in Sweden, Cory Wong and crew in Minneapolis - I think the slightly unnerving longing looks was Cory Wongs idea to almost make it look like they were in the same studio. I think the soul less nature of the end result is also a consequence of everything being recorded separately in different continents. It's music for musos.....which I have a soft spot and something that I would pay to see live on a one off basis but that's about it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom