The Beatles - Let It Be | Special Edition Releases

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2283
    I've downloaded the Let It Be Super Deluxe. It's great. I'm really loving the rooftop songs remixed. 'Dig A Pony' turned up loud sounds like the boys are playing in your living room! Really good stuff, I love the slow swampy rock Americana vibe.

John's vocals with Paul's falsetto harmonies on the "everything has just go to be just like you want it to" line is incredible.

Funny but I never really noted John's dig at the Rolling Stones before:

"I'm Rolling Stoning
    Well, you can imitate everyone you know
    Yes, you can imitate everyone you know
    I told you so"

I've read that The Beatles were critical of the Stones for imitating them through the late 60s
    The Beatles became incredible innovators. The Stones never really moved on from copyists.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    rze99 said:

The Beatles became incredible innovators. The Stones never really moved on from copyists.
    I’m a bigger fan of the Beatles than the Stones, but I think that’s a bit unfair. I would say the Beatles were definitely more innovative and kept moving on, whereas the Stones perfected a unique style and kept on doing it… more or less forever :). They weren’t copyists though, and I certainly don’t think Lennon was right if he was implying they’d copied the Beatles. Probably the only real justification for that is Brian Jones using a sitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LitterickLitterick Frets: 630
    The Stones flourished once the Beatles were gone.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited October 2021
    ICBM said:
    Anyone know why there were 3 Fender Twins on the rooftop? Was one a spare? Or for Billy Preston's piano?

How loud must they have been for John Lennon to get that breakup on his tone for I've Got A Feeling! George’s tone is on the edge as well and that's with the lower output Tele.
    One is for Billy Preston's piano.

They would have been loud, but not *that* loud outdoors. Twins are open-back so when there's nothing for the sound to reflect off behind, the volume is lower than you'd expect.
    Found a couple of pics from the new Get Back book that suggests Billy preston's piano had a large speaker similar to a sideways bassman bass amp speaker, similar to Paul McCartney's bass amp underneath it, so I'm not so sure the 3rd Fender Twin was for his piano, also, he would have had a hard job hearing it that far away as well without monitors:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2021
    Further digging and it looks like a Fender Rhodes Seventy-Three suitcase piano, maybe part of the haul of gear Fender gave The Beatles around that time. It does have it's own amp/speaker:

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72321
    Yes, you're right. From memory I thought the other Twin was on that side of the stage but that's the grille cloth of Billy Preston's Rhodes combination unit.

The third Twin is at an angle behind George. So either John or George are using two amps, or if you look at the other two the one behind John is using the Normal channel and the one behind George the Vibrato channel (which he's clearly plugged into if you follow the cable), but the third one at an angle appears to be using both channels, so I wonder if both of them are using the third amp as effectively a sidefill monitor? Notice that both John's amp and the third one have red tape on the cable in the Normal channel.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• idiotwindidiotwind Frets: 456
    I just read this article which says that the 3rd amp was there for a Hohner Pianet N which was an unused backup for the Rhodes (which has its own amp as mentioned)

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/the-beatles-get-back-gear
    idiotwind said:
    I just read this article which says that the 3rd amp was there for a Hohner Pianet N which was an unused backup for the Rhodes (which has its own amp as mentioned)

https://www.guitarworld.com/features/the-beatles-get-back-gear
    Great article, learned a few things there, thanks for sharing