Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

People love Mr Brightside

What's Hot

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4436
    WARNING!  Don't click that link! ^

It'll play Mr Brightside by the Killers...
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've never quite got it, it's not even the best Killers song, it's not even the best song on that album! IMO, YMMV etc etc
    indeed IMO/YMMV...  I dont get the killers, that is the only decent song I think they have ever done.  different strokes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think what I find weird is the number of people who are only interested in very specific songs.

The second most popular Killers or Kings of Leon song gets zero reaction.

Case in point. Spotify suggests Use Somebody has 500M streams on Spotify and SoF 700M so its more popular but not massively so. My band tried doing Use Somebody and the reaction was completely meh even though I think our version was much better than the version of SoF we did.

Same story with Brightside and when We Were Young.
    KOL - anything from the first album for me ;)
  • people love somebody told me, its a bit synthy, but in a decent 2 guitar band it can be done well.

Problem with When we were young and Use Somebody is theyre a bit down tempo compared to the bigger hits IMO people respond to tempo and a strong 4/4 beat no matter what
    or 1 guitar and a keys player...
  • jdbwalesjdbwales Frets: 309
    Yeah, people love Mr Brightside - our second set ‘closing salvo’ is

Sex On Fire 
    Mr Brightside 
    Living On A Prayer 
    Don’t Look Back In Anger 
    Purple Rain

…fucking shameless. We get lots of bookings though and people go nuts for those songs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    At our first festival back this year the Fillers were playing (they are very very good) - it was (like most of the lineup over the weekend) their first gig in 18 months.  

They played MrB very early on and for a very hot Saturday afternoon, the crowd (of very wide age range went mental).  Most bands at this festival don’t get an encore to keep to timings but they gave them one and they did MrB again, because “we just love playing it” , and again the crowd went mental.

there is definitely something primal about it and what it does to people

anyone who likes them, go and see them, they are very close to the band
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    We decided to do Somebody Told Me instead, just to be contrary.  Played it in front of a packed pub of young-ish party people.  It went like this:

Me:  Hey you guys, who likes the Killers?
    Crowd:  <Huge cheer>
    Me:  Who's sick and tired of Mr Brightside?
    Crowd:  Awkward silence, confused looks.  Someone coughs.

Then we played Somebody Told Me, and fortunately it was an absolute belter!

It's bad enough for cover bands, but imagine being in the Killers and knowing that nothing you ever do will ever come close to the popularity of that song.  It'd drive me mad.

Mind you, it'd be even worse to be Toploader, when your one and only mega-hit was a cover, and a fecking annoying one at that...

Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    Ha ha, played the Toploader one at the Woodpecker on Friday mate, ohh and brightside :)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pmbombpmbomb Frets: 1169
    Am reliably informed by bass player that Stereophonics Dakota has similar effect.
  • pmbomb said:
    Am reliably informed by bass player that Stereophonics Dakota has similar effect.
    I can confirm, it does.  And this is despite the fact that probably 80%+ of bands play it week in week out.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3596
    edited September 2021
    pmbomb said:
    Yep.. it does..

frigging shameless..
  • pmbomb said:

100% correct. We close our second set with that followed by an encore which is usually Purple Rain. If we have time (II.e., if I've come back to the stage after wandering around the pub playing the Purple Rain solo with my wireless system) then we'll finish with "Highway to Hell". OK, we're just whoring ourselves out but the audience, whatever age, just LOVE it.

If we're short of time then "Purple Rain" gets subbed out for "What's Up" and the drunken rabble get to scream "Hey, hey, hey...."  at the top of their lungs. That's also awesome.
  • johnmontanajohnmontana Frets: 41
    edited September 2021
    Horrible song…
  • I couldn’t even tell you how it goes , well under my radar 
    I was in the same boat - I assumed that because it was so popular, I'd know it because it had been around sort of in the air, if you see what I mean, just that I didn't know what it was called. Nope. Never heard it before. It's ... fine ... I suppose. Sort of like a speeded-up version of early New Order - the drums in particular are very Stephen Morris. I'm surprised that for something with over a billion plays there's not really any sort of tune. I thought people liked a tune.  

I see they also did that song that Justin Timberlake mimes to in Southland Tales, which is, again, an OK song, but a much better game (try to think of alternative lines - e.g. "I got ham / But I'm not a hamster" or "I got an axe / But I'm not an axolotl"). 
  • I've never quite got it, it's not even the best Killers song, it's not even the best song on that album! IMO, YMMV etc etc
    indeed IMO/YMMV...  I dont get the killers, that is the only decent song I think they have ever done.  different strokes.
    Yes the Strokes were a different band entirely
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That intro is a bit of a nightmare. You can often hear the guitarist "Mr Brightside chord check" about 5 seconds before a cover band starts the song. It's a bit of an arse to get your fingers around.
    You've been watching my band haven't you!

It's bullet proof and a good get out of jail song if things aren't quite clicking with the crowd.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    That intro is a bit of a nightmare. You can often hear the guitarist "Mr Brightside chord check" about 5 seconds before a cover band starts the song. It's a bit of an arse to get your fingers around.

It's bullet proof and a good get out of jail song if things aren't quite clicking with the crowd.
    Ha Ha yeah The "Brightside check" you can hear me doing just that all the way back in 2009 and we had been playing it for years then

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 145
    This was a previous acoustic take on it. It always went down well at gigs. 
  • Danny1969 said:
    That intro is a bit of a nightmare. You can often hear the guitarist "Mr Brightside chord check" about 5 seconds before a cover band starts the song. It's a bit of an arse to get your fingers around.

Ha Ha yeah The "Brightside check" you can hear me doing just that all the way back in 2009 and we had been playing it for years then

Yep I was always guilty of doing the check  =) It used to drive the lead singer nuts!! 
  • Danny1969 said:

Yep I was always guilty of doing the check  =) It used to drive the lead singer nuts!! 
    Oh man, I SO do that too! Ha!