Bloomin thumb pain :(

What's Hot
sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
Over the past week I’ve started getting pain on the (outside of) the middle knuckle of my fretting THUMB

its right on the bit that rests/ presses against the neck , especially when fretting with the thumb.

It’s not an ache, it’s not “stiffness”, nor feel like overuse. It’s not swollen obviously
It’s a highly localised Intense pain when that point on the knuckle touches the neck.  So I’m wondering if it is like a trapped nerve ?

I guess it means lighter strings (which isn’t great for acoustic), getting a thinner neck, and changing technique , maybe some anti-inflamms
and unfortunately rest :) 
But just wondering if anyone had similar?  And any way you’ve resolved / improved it ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7211
    edited October 2021
    It all depends how you position your fretting hand, but a thinner neck might actually make it worse.  I get really bad pain on the joint at the base of my left thumb and I have to constantly readjust my fretting hand while playing so that it temporarily relieves pressure.  A thicker neck definitely helps to reduce the pain.  I also get pain in the middle and end knuckle on my index finger of that hand, but there isn't much that helps that pain.   I'm sure it is just age and occupation-related osteoarthritis.  Sometimes I rub a dab of Voltarol into my thumb and it relieves the pain for a while, but I have to be careful not to wipe my face with that hand because it stings if it goes into your eye.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16092
    I've been getting thumb pain last 2 days ,then swelling
    close inspection revealed a nasty metal splinter ,sorted now
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    @BillDL thanks for your thoughts and experiences - frustrating isn’t it 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7211
    edited October 2021
    I work in a fairly hands-on role in logistics.  Warehouses generally aren't heated because of fire risks and cost.  It can get really cold inside a large warehouse when temperatures drop outside and there are certain activities where you would be hampered by thick gloves (imagine peeling a grape while wearing a boxing glove), so inevitably every Winter my hands and other joints get pretty stiff and sore.  When hands are cold they are more susceptible to injuries from lifting and moving things with the fingers, and I often end up with a strained finger that makes guitar playing impossible for about a week.  Combine that with breaking fingerpicking nails just when I have managed to grow out the last broken one, and I guess I am in the wrong job for my musical interest.  In Winter at work I hold my gloves underneath the hot air hand dryer to warm them up and then put them on again.  There is definitely a lot of benefit to keeping joints warm, but in a room I feel stifled and wheezy if it gets too warm, so I have to compromise when it comes to playing in a house with heating.

Sometimes when I get the bad pain in the middle joint of my index finger I can relieve it for a while by gently rotating it from side to side like turning a guitar or amp knob while holding the first knuckle with my right hand.  The joint must be quite worn on that finger, because there is quite a bit of rotational play when I do that.  Perhaps you might get temporary relief with your thumb by trying this, but the only problem is that the thumb only has two bones and one middle joint (excluding the "knuckle" joint) whereas fingers have three bones and two joints excluding the knuckles, so there won't be as much rotational play to begin with.
  • I've had pain in the basal joint on my left thumb. Stretching it by pulling down on the thumb while it is extended at right angles to the rest of my fingers helps. But DO NOT cause yourself pain - that indicates damage. Just enough to be uncomfortable and stretch the ligaments. Works for me and costs next to nothing.
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    Assuming you haven't got anything trapped in the skin, as @Dominic had, it sounds like a trapped nerve. I'd suggest resting it for a couple of days, and if the pain doesn't recede, I'd try to see your GP. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom