Solo of the Month (SotM) #74 - Challenge

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
edited September 2021 in Making Music
This is the 74th solo of the Month (SotM) Challenge.

The challenge is now open and ends at midnight 23rd September 2021.

Backing Track:
This backing track was kindly provided by @digitalkettle
You can download backing track from Soundcloud below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sotm74-2021-09-digitalkettle-strange-ways

Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it (ideally in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk
Also, feel free to comment on how you approached the solo, which will add a bit more interest and maybe we can learn something from each other.

Title: Strange Ways

BPM: 155

Chord overview...

Intro:
| Bm | x 8

A section:
| Bm | G | E/G# | G | Bm | G | A | A | x 2

B section:
| G | A | Bm | Bm |
| G | A | F# | F# |
| G | A | Bm | Bm |
| Bm/D | C#m/E | F# | F# |

Ends on a Bm

There should be headroom to record your solo. Try to set a level without excessive master limiting, because we want to avoid loudness wars.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends.

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used for the solo:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm74-2021-09

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sent one in.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sent one in.

And we're off to a quick start. It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mine's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had a go but not got anything so far.  The backing track is so nice on its own I just keep spoiling it :lol: 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sent one in.

My approach was to sit in the dark noodling, then play the James Bond guitar hook over and over, then finally look at the actual chords and work out a composition around the chords.

Then record it 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ...then play the James Bond guitar hook over and over...
    This is what I said when I sent the track to @stratman3142:
    "I set out to write a funk track but I just went with it and it turned into 'The Smiths write a Bond theme' " ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
    edited September 2021
    @fastonebaz cool video.

Interestingly, I was going to attempt a Knopfler'ish moving arppeggio pattern similar to what you're doing from about 0:38. But I couldn't make it sound consistently 'in time' enough, so I ditched it - you're a better man than me.

It's not a competition.
  • Sent one in.
    It's in the playlist. That makes 3.

It's not a competition.
  • @fastonebaz cool video.

Interestingly, I was going to attempt a Knopfler'ish moving arppeggio pattern similar to what you're doing from about 0:38. But I couldn't make it sound consistently 'in time' enough, so I ditched it - you're a better man than me.

It only took 900 practices and 75 takes to get it right :lol: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had a bash for the first time - I had no idea there was so much creative swearing involved with trying to record stuff!

Its a great way to turn you off guitar playing!

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • I've had a bash for the first time ...

Great to have a new entrant. It's in the playlist.

It's not a competition.
  • AidanspaghettiAidanspaghetti Frets: 844
    edited September 2021
    Having a crack at this.. Christ recording really shows up how sloppy I am lol

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Some great entries here, hope it's ok for a newbie to have a crack at this. I've not long got my hands on some recording gear and the backing track sounded really good so I thought I'd give it a go. My approach was mainly to revisit this night after night in frustration, playing something entirely different each time until I arrived at what I felt to be vaguely acceptable and then listen to what I'd done repeatedly until I convinced myself it sounded right.

Aside from that, I aimed to to hit a mini peak of solo about halfway through the track then drop off again and build up again to the end. Or maybe that's just what came out by chance and I made myself believe there was method in the chaos.
  • Welcome to the team @Aidanspaghetti ; @DrHungry ;
    and @Bennyboy-UK ;

It's a fun and friendly challenge, all positive vibes only. 

I like to avoid hearing any of the other submissions until I've completed my own as I'm worried I'll be influenced by them, so this months' was highly amusing to me after I submitted mine and then listened to the others and remarked how we all opened our solos quite similar :lol: 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• I took the plunge after having missed out on putting time into the ZZ Top one the other month, so had a play with this one when it came out.

I activated Garageband the day before firing my entry it in - and discovered a whole new world of recording outside of clips recorded on a phone.

The James Bond thing was just there and couldn't shake it, so just went for that to kick off. Ended up with a repeated run to try and make some kind of theme to it with a couple of variations - which was good as it meant there was less for me to try and learn/write!

I couldn't get back quick enough from the last bend to hit the James Bond chord I wanted to end on cleanly, to used my new editing skills to chop the end off cleanly and let the backing track finish it off.

There is some great playing on the entries - and I did very much enjoy the Knopfler/Power Rangers bit in @fastonebaz entry! and the quick descending run - I need to watch that a few more times and try to nick it!

Its daunting, but great fun, and makes me realise just how good and experienced you guys are to get this stuff down cleanly and in time with the backing.

I'll definitely try to do more. 
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • Entry from @DrHungry in the playlist. Good to have yet another new entrant.

It's not a competition.
  • Thanks @stratman3142 , and thank you for curating all these challenges.

@fastonebaz I'm afraid I've not added much diversity into the mix with my intro. That's a good tip to avoid influence from the other entries, I'll try to be disciplined and resist having a listen to everyone else first next time.
  • Entry closes tomorrow at midnight (23rd September).

It's not a competition.
  • Entry closes tonight at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • One from @ChrisRG in the playlist. That makes 6 entries.

Also, calling @digitalkettle as a reminder, being as it's his backing track.

It's not a competition.