New Synth Day:: Novation Mininova

Spotted this in the pre-owned section on GuitarGuitar - gave it a punt, arrived next day despite not paying extra for next day delivery. 

My first proper venture into synths - I know very little about them, but smaller ones like the MicroKorg and Arturia Microbrute have always fascinated me. 

There's plenty of sounds I won't use, but you can arpeggiate and adjust things like filter, resonance and drive on EVERYTHING. You can even add or remove steps from the arpeggio, and apply real-time effects to the notes using a row of handy buttons. 

I've not braved actual menus or editing yet but there's already so much you can do using the dials that you almost don't need to. It's quite intuitive and user friendly which is a blessing for a luddite like me. 

Might try it through some pedals tonight. 
MUSIC: Pale Blurs
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I used one live for 3 years  some of the sounds can sound a bit 2000's howevr it's an overall power houseof a  synth, I'd love one again 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10103
    I like Novation a lot. I have a Summit and it’s incredible. Enjoy. 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    A little taste of the genius that was Chris Huggett.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Nice,.. we use a microfreak and a big roland but I am after a minilogue.

Those small analog synths are just too appealing.
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 459
    Nice score - have a bass station 2 which is a lot of fun and very recently got a Prophet 6. Am ready for the next lockdown …
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    Yeah, this is all going onto the upcoming album too 
  • Many of the presets are heavily influenced by dubstep (whatever that was), but you can of course overwrite them with sounds built yourself from scratch. As a first synth it’s great imho as long as the mini keys don’t annoy you. I need to use mine more!
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    Yeah I used it most of Saturday for recording a new track for the album - really great. The great thing about the sounds is that you can fiddle with them using the actual controls as well as menu navigation if that's more your thing. Plus running it through pedals changes the sounds even more. There's definitely enough variety to inspire and be of genuine use. Mini keys are fine for me, I have short stubby fingers.