The Mechanics and Construction of the Acoustic Guitar

What's Hot
Has anybody bought a copy of the book: The Mechanics and Construction of the Acoustic Guitar by Eddie Green?

I'm not interested in building a guitar but always fascinated by what goes into a good build. I've read mixed reviews about it. It seems to have a lot of mechanical engineering physics (clues in the title I guess) which isn't a problem in itself but if it's not a book intended for the casual reader it might be a dry read.

If anybody has read it, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Here’s an Amazon review:

“When this book says mechanics it literally means scientific mathematics, this book is full of mathematics (that mean absolutely nothing to me). If you like complex looking scientific equations with letters, numbers and weird signs everywhere, you might understand some of it…. but seriously, most people will be flummoxed. This could be a white paper for a Phd, but don’t expect any practical information for the layperson. I’m sure it’s great (clever) research, but… l was dismayed and disappointed that l’d apparently bought a reasonably expensive book that was of no use to me at all.

Perhaps the assumption that most people understand the dictionary definition of the word mechanics was a little optimistic (unsympathetic), after all people do tend to use the word colloquially to say “how something works” but this is usually referring to how something works in a practical sense (as opposed to a scientific one).

Yes l did feel a little silly when l realised this was book was literally science, but should l have really? I thought l was buying a book that would describe how a guitar is put together, and why… which seemed a reasonable assumption from the title, as a layperson. Unfortunately l am still none the wiser for buying this book.”

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27341
    tomjax said:

I'm not interested in building a guitar but always fascinated by what goes into a good build. 
    There are plenty of YT videos that take you through the process of how to build an acoustic, and why that's the way to do it.

Light on formulae, but heavy on explaining the whys and hows.
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    TTony said:
    tomjax said:

I'm not interested in building a guitar but always fascinated by what goes into a good build. 
    There are plenty of YT videos that take you through the process of how to build an acoustic, and why that's the way to do it.

I saw an excellent video by Goodall I think it was, about just this subject. Went through the whole process of making a guitar, from timber selection to finish. Was fascinating. I've seen a couple of similar ones on violin making, gives a real insight into the luthiers craft/art.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27341
    VimFuego said:
    TTony said:
    tomjax said:

I saw an excellent video by Goodall I think it was, about just this subject. Went through the whole process of making a guitar, from timber selection to finish. Was fascinating. I've seen a couple of similar ones on violin making, gives a real insight into the luthiers craft/art.
    Yup.  Making acoustics takes a different level of craftsmanship.  I quite fancied having a go, until I recognised the level of skill needed!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • jellyroll said:
    Here’s an Amazon review:

“When this book says mechanics it literally means scientific mathematics, this book is full of mathematics (that mean absolutely nothing to me). 

Thanks, I have seen the reviews already, but they were at odds with each other, which is why I was interested to see if anybody here has bought a copy.

The maths doesn't phase me at all (I'm also an ex aerospace engineer, same as the author, Eddie Green) but if the book is all physics it may not be an engaging read.

I have seen the Goodall video and agree it's fantastic, but tends to cover more the building process and their methods than explaining the workings of a guitar. It's the best advert for a guitar company I've ever come across though, their processes are both meticulous and true art. 

I think I'll just bite the bullet and get the book... 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5265
    jellyroll provided a hilarious Amazon review some tool wrote:
    “When this book says mechanics it literally means scientific mathematics, this book is full of mathematics .....

Yes l did feel a little silly when l realised this was book was literally science, but should l have really?

Yes. You bought a book without making the slightest effort to find out what was in it, and now you are complaining? Strewth!   

(Sorry Tomjax, I haven't read the book and have no useful comment to make. I just couldn't resist laughing at that nutcase Jellyroll linked to.)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    Slightly related: quote I read many years ago that stuck with me pointed out that an acoustic guitar’s construction means that it spends its life trying to tear itself apart, whereas something like a violin spends it’s life holding itself together 
    Red ones are better. 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 727
    Will building any guitar ever be reduced to science? That is to ignore experience, art, intuition, previous failure, experimentation, fashion, commercial concerns, customer's input and cost.

Etc.

Science is an important part of life, especially  since the Age of  Enlightenment and the subsequent great steps humanity took, but there are often other things to  consider.

Science alone is not the key to acoustic guitar building. 

End of lectures!  =)
  • DavidR said:
    Will building any guitar ever be reduced to science? 
    Etc.
    This wasn't quite the focus of the thread and question, but thanks anyway. There were many points made above to it being equal parts science, skill and art, so I think we're all very much agreed on that point. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    DavidR said:
    Will building any guitar ever be reduced to science? That is to ignore experience, art, intuition, previous failure, experimentation, fashion, commercial concerns, customer's input and cost.

Etc.

Science is an important part of life, especially  since the Age of  Enlightenment and the subsequent great steps humanity took, but there are often other things to  consider.

Science alone is not the key to acoustic guitar building. 

End of lectures!  =)
     I wouldn’t say so either, but that doesn’t invalidate it’s purpose and validity as a book on the analysis of the structure and the components of the acoustic guitar.  And very good it is for that latter purpose, especially in the absence of other similar tomes.
    I guess in the same way, if someone wrote a book say “the aesthetics of the electric guitar”, it isn’t invalid because it doesn’t cover all the other topics either.

but of course, all of those aspects go into the culmination of all those acoustic guitars that currently are presented by the big and small manufacturers, and some of those will be dominated for one or more aspects, and other manufacturers dominated by different aspects.

• icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 365
    @tomjax Did you buy the book?

I have a copy that I bought at the book launch to support him as he has helped me on many occasions to service my guitars. 

I would have thought you being an engineer it would be right up your street. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    I’ve got it, I really enjoy it, but then I’m a civil engineer, and have  masters in mechanics, so it’s not surprising.

@icu81b4 - do you have a contact for Eddie ? 

• icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 365
    @sev112  dm’d 
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 72
    icu81b4 said:
    @tomjax Did you buy the book?

I have a copy that I bought at the book launch to support him as he has helped me on many occasions to service my guitars. 

I would have thought you being an engineer it would be right up your street. 
    Not yet, but thanks for the feedback, good to hear from somebody who has a copy and enjoyed it. I do intend to buy a copy. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
    this is a good one for understanding how all the individual parts work together, if you can get a copy.   It's reasonably accessible too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Luthiers-Handbook-Building-Acoustic-Instruments/dp/0634014684.

• tomjaxtomjax Frets: 72
    Thanks, another one worth looking into. Looks like I'll need to find a used copy.