Strings for 30" scalelength bass

What's Hot
JanekLubanskiJanekLubanski Frets: 166
edited September 2021 in Bass
I've recently acquired a bass with a 30" scalelength with strings that I believe are .045/.065/.085/.105. The bottom E string seems to have little tension in it and some notes played on that string sound woolly and vague. I was thinking of just tuning every string up a tone or 3 semi tones so as to get some tension in the low strings. Ok  for nurdling on it but no good if I want to play with backing tracks in concert pitch.

Would bunging on a .050  string set on the guitar remedy the situation? Or maybe an even higher gauge?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Those strings would work well on a 34" bass in standard tuning, and I'm not surprised they sound a bit floppy on a 30". Both your solutions should work well: 

You could tune up a whole tone - that should compensate for the change in scale length - but adjusting to the different note placement may take some time.

If you increase string gauge, a .050 on the G string should be enough.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Don't do that. You can get proper short-scale bass strings which are wound differently so they have the correct tension. They also avoid problems in getting the thick outer winding of the string onto the machinehead posts, because they're designed for a shorter overall length.

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/short-scale-t950

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Some short scale basses require medium length strings. It depends on how the strings are anchored at bridge. Hofner short scales for instance need medium scale. Mustang basses might also need them, esp the string thru versions. Might be worth checking before purchasing anything.
  • Going to a thicker string gives more tension. 
    I use D'Addario  XL EXL160M 50-105 Medium scale on my Mustang and like them for tension.

• JezWynd said:
    Some short scale basses require medium length strings. It depends on how the strings are anchored at bridge. 
    It may also depend on the length of the headstock. 
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Newtone will make strings anyway you like.

You carefully measure from the back of the bridge NOT including the ball end to just beyond the nut and then pick nickel or steel, diamond or platinum series (different wrap to core construction) and hex or round core.

Then 2 weeks later you get a custom made set of strings delivered to you for about the same price as many non-custom brands.

They are very good!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JanekLubanskiJanekLubanski Frets: 166
    edited September 2021
    ICBM said:
    Don't do that. You can get proper short-scale bass strings which are wound differently so they have the correct tension. They also avoid problems in getting the thick outer winding of the string onto the machinehead posts, because they're designed for a shorter overall length.

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/short-scale-t950
    Thanks for info. I'm going to try a set of Hofner shortscale strings (40 60 75 95). 
  • Newtone will make strings anyway you like.

You carefully measure from the back of the bridge NOT including the ball end to just beyond the nut and then pick nickel or steel, diamond or platinum series (different wrap to core construction) and hex or round core.

Then 2 weeks later you get a custom made set of strings delivered to you for about the same price as many non-custom brands.

They are very good!
    Thanks for the info. I might give Newtone custom order strings a go. In the meantime I'm going to give a set of 40 60 75 95 Hofner roundwounds a go. 
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Thanks for the info. I might give Newtone custom order strings a go. In the meantime I'm going to give a set of 40 60 75 95 Hofner roundwounds a go. 

They already exist