Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson Generation Collection

What's Hot
teradaterada Frets: 5113
edited September 2021 in Acoustics
These have just been released starting at where the J15's used to be priced.

Look quite interesting. I'm curious about the sound hole on the side.

Any thoughts?

https://www.musicradar.com/news/gibson-generation-collection
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Glad they've invented the 'sound port'...now I know what to call all the ones I've seen over the last few decades ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wow, look at Gibson getting all 21st century. Quite fancy a look at the Writer version tho (aka the Songwriter). 
  • Looks like the cheaper Martins which are great throw in the kit gig guitars.

Tempted to try one.
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I'd say give them a try. If you find a good Gibson, you've got one heck of a guitar. With the series you're looking at you get a solid, Sitka top. That's a plus but do try my dear. Don't order online and hope you'll like what you get :) 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Mellish said:
    I'd say give them a try. If you find a good Gibson, you've got one heck of a guitar. With the series you're looking at you get a solid, Sitka top. That's a plus but do try my dear. Don't order online and hope you'll like what you get :) 
    And solid back and sides
    Even better :). I had a Gibson once, a Hummingbird Modern Classic - one of the best guitars I ever owned. Absolutely blossomed within three months. But you know what's coming, the fool in me sold it :o
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    What is it with cheap Gibsons and thinner bodies??
  • Glad they've invented the 'sound port'...now I know what to call all the ones I've seen over the last few decades ;)
    Apparently they did in the early 60s…

@terada. Try them m8, you might find one you really like :) 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 729
    edited September 2021
    Thanks terada. They look nice.  Full marks to Gibson (or anyone) for giving us yet more traditional acoustics. In this case solid sitka and walnut at the mid-range price point. Apart from electrics on the larger of the 4 models, I wonder why the price varies so much from $999 (£734) for the OO to $1999 ($1464) for the jumbo? Personally I don't like the extra soundhole, but I'm a bit of a purist. The review doesn't comment on playability or tone so you would have to give them a go and, anyway, the "Gibson Player Port" (which I notice they have trademarked) will make them all stand out from the crowd. Very attractive guitars aren't they. 

On the sound hole thing. Luthiers have been messing about with the externalisation of sound for an awfully long time from the exotic infills of medieval lutes to modern manufacturers, notably Godin and Ovation. Also classical luthiers have been doing sideholes routinely for several decades if the customer wants one. Take a look at the modernistic acoustics from Emerald Guitars in Ireland too. But for one of the large American manufacturers to fit one to an entire range is brave and, for them, quite radical. It matches Martin's foray into the SC13E.

Well done Gibson and I hope they do well - and sound nice too when a few more people have played them.

More guitars. Lovely!
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 729
    edited September 2021
    Just found this review from Music Villa in Bozeman, Montana (where these Gibsons are made). Only additional comment having watched this is that I think I would expect a bit more purfling at this price point. The G45 looks a little plain and I can't imagine Yamaha or Eastman not ornamenting a little more. Nit-picking though.

Gibson G-45 - New 2021 Generation Collection Review! - YouTube
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I’m not into fancy acoustics but they look too austere for me - the Taylor AD-17 blacktop is a way better way to get to a price point looks wise I think, no comment on sound through, the Gibsons may smash it. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5275
    The price point looks a little high, which means it is about right. Gibson (same as Martin) can afford to charge a bit more than the going rate for most things because it has outstanding brand recognition.

Somehow though I have never warmed to Gibson acoustics. These seem to tick all the boxes but I daresay that if I eventually try one it will be as underwhelming as all the other Gibson acoustics I've ever tried. Plenty of people love them, and when someone who likes (for example) a J-45 plays one, it sounds fine to me, but as something to actually play (rather than listen to) I just can't warm to them. 

Still, good luck to Gibson with these. They have had the balls to put big money into building a major extension to the plant at Bozeman and I hope that it repays them for their confidence, and for their decision to back building stuff at home rather than sucking in even more cheap imported shit from China.

• KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8599
    Interesting, especially if you really want Gibson on the headstock. Personally, at these sorts of price points, I would probably be more inclined to look at Eastman. I'm not into bling, but these are a bit too austere for me, and no binding. 
  • Tannin said:
    The price point looks a little high, which means it is about right. Gibson (same as Martin) can afford to charge a bit more than the going rate for most things because it has outstanding brand recognition.

Somehow though I have never warmed to Gibson acoustics. These seem to tick all the boxes but I daresay that if I eventually try one it will be as underwhelming as all the other Gibson acoustics I've ever tried. Plenty of people love them, and when someone who likes (for example) a J-45 plays one, it sounds fine to me, but as something to actually play (rather than listen to) I just can't warm to them. 

Still, good luck to Gibson with these. They have had the balls to put big money into building a major extension to the plant at Bozeman and I hope that it repays them for their confidence, and for their decision to back building stuff at home rather than sucking in even more cheap imported shit from China.

Gibson don't make guitars in China and Epiphone quality is very good. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    I think the Generation Collection is Gibson hitting back... What I mean is: Martin did the Re-imagined series, Taylor the new bracing. They're forcing each other to up their game. Or is it just me thinking that? :) 
  • Mellish said:
    I think the Generation Collection is Gibson hitting back... What I mean is: Martin did the Re-imagined series, Taylor the new bracing. They're forcing each other to up their game. Or is it just me thinking that? :) 
    Just finding a new way to sing an old song is more like it. 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5275
    Epiphone is Gibson. Since 1957.
  • I could never have a port in a guitar. Or controls on the side. Abominations I tell you! But seriously, each to their own. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom